Silvestri in 2009
|Birth name||Alan Anthony Silvestri|
March 26, 1950 |
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Instruments||Guitar, Piano, Synthesizer, Synclavier, Drums|
Alan Anthony Silvestri (born March 26, 1950) is an American composer and conductor who works primarily in film and television. He is best known for his frequent collaboration with director Robert Zemeckis, including composing major hit films such as the Back to the Future trilogy and Forrest Gump, as well as the superhero films Captain America: The First Avenger and Marvel's The Avengers.
Early life and education
Silvestri started his film/television composing career in 1972 at age 21, composing the score for the low-budget action film The Doberman Gang.
From 1977 to 1983, Silvestri served as the main composer for the TV show CHiPs, writing music for 109 of the show's 139 episodes.
Silvestri met producers Robert Zemeckis, and Nick Park when the two worked together on Zemeckis's 1984 film Romancing the Stone. Since then, Silvestri has composed the music for all of Zemeckis's movies, including the Back to the Future trilogy (1985-), Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988), Death Becomes Her (1992), Forrest Gump (1994), Contact (1997), Cast Away (2000), Chicken Run (2000) (with Harry Gregson-Williams), The Polar Express (2004), Beowulf (2007), A Christmas Carol (2009), and Flight (2012).
Silvestri is also known for his work on Predator (1987) and Predator 2 (1990), both of which are considered preeminent examples of action/science fiction film scores. Since 2001, Silvestri has also collaborated regularly with director Stephen Sommers, scoring the films The Mummy Returns in 2001, Van Helsing in 2004, and G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra in 2009. His most recent work includes Captain America: The First Avenger in 2011, The Avengers in 2012 and The Croods in 2013.
On 31 January 2014, it was announced that a stage musical adaptation of Back to the Future was in production. The show, which is being co-written by original writers Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale, is expected to be performed in 2015, on the 30th anniversary year of the film. Silvestri will team up with Glen Ballard to compose a new score, with the addition of original songs from the film, including "The Power of Love", "Johnny B. Goode", "Earth Angel" and "Mr. Sandman".
Silvestri has received two Academy Award nominations, one for Best Original Score for Forrest Gump (1994) and one for Best Original Song for "Believe" on The Polar Express soundtrack. He also received two Golden Globe nominations: Best Score for Forrest Gump and Best Song for The Polar Express.
He has also received four Grammy Award nominations, winning two awards – Best Song Written for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media, for "Believe" from The Polar Express in 2004 and Best Instrumental Composition, for "Cast Away End Credits" from Cast Away in 2002. His other nomination was for Best Soundtrack Album, for Back to the Future. During the 2005 Grammys, Josh Groban performed "Believe." 
He has received two Emmy nominations, both for Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey - Outstanding Main Title Theme Music and Outstanding Music Composition for a Series for the episode "Standing Up in the Milky Way."
|1972||The Doberman Gang||Byron Chudnow||Dimension Pictures||With Bradford Craig|
|1975||Las Vegas Lady||Noel Nosseck||N/A||N/A|
|1976||The Amazing Dobermans||Byron Chudnow||N/A||N/A|
|1978||Tiger Man||Matt Cimber||N/A||Credited as Alan Sylvestri|
|1978||The Fifth Floor||Howard Avedis||N/A||N/A|
|2010||The A-Team||Joe Carnahan||20th Century Fox||Also conductor and orchestrator|
|2011||Captain America: The First Avenger||Joe Johnston||Paramount Pictures||Nominated — Saturn Award for Best Music
BMI Film Music Award
Also conductor and orchestrator
|2012||The Avengers||Joss Whedon||Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures / Marvel Studios||Known as Avengers Assemble in the UK
Also conductor and orchestrator
|2012||Flight||Robert Zemeckis||Paramount Pictures||Fourteenth collaboration with Robert Zemeckis|
|2013||The Croods||Kirk DeMicco
|20th Century Fox
|Second collaboration with Chris Sanders
First DreamWorks Animation film to be distributed by 20th Century Fox. Also conductor and orchestrator
|2013||RED 2||Dean Parisot||Summit Entertainment|
|2014||Night at the Museum 3||Shawn Levy||20th Century Fox
21 Laps Entertainment
|2015||Run All Night||Jaume Collet-Serra||Warner Bros. Pictures
Dark Castle Entertainment
|1978–1979||Starsky and Hutch||
|1983||T. J. Hooker||
||Episode: "A Child Is Missing"|
||Episode: "Go to the Head of Class"|
|1989–1995||Tales from the Crypt||
||Episodes: "And All Through the House"
"House of Horror"
"Till Death Do We Part"
|2014||Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey||
- ASCAP Henry Mancini Award, ASCAP. Accessed October 21, 2007. "Manhattan-born and Teaneck, New Jersey-bred, Silvestri attended Boston's prestigious Berklee College of Music before joining a Las Vegas band as a guitarist."
- Coutros, Evonne. "THE DRUMMER WHOM `GUMP' MARCHES TO", The Record (Bergen County), March 26, 1995. Accessed October 21, 2007. "Nearly three decades after Alan Silvestri drummed out beats for the Teaneck High School band, he's hoping to march to the podium Monday night to collect an Oscar."
- "Back to the Future musical announced". BBC News. 31 January 2014. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- "Back to the Future: 80s movie gets musical makeover". theguardian.com. The Guardian. 31 January 2014. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- "'Great Scott!' Musical version of Back To The Future set to open in London's West End in 2015". dailymail.co.uk. Daily Mail. 31 January 2014. Retrieved 2 February 2014.
- "Back to the Future musical set for West End in 2015". whatsonstage.com. Whats On Stage. 31 January 2014. Retrieved 5 February 2014.
- Home. Silvestrivineyards.com. Retrieved on 2012-05-02.
- TribLIVE: #(gSection.name)#. Pittsburghlive.com (2012-01-05). Retrieved on 2012-05-02.
- Alan Silvestri at AllMusic
- Alan Silvestri at the Internet Movie Database
- Alan Silvestri at Soundtrackguide.net
- Castell'Alfero (Italy) country of Asti of which it is City Honorarium
- Complete Alan Silvestri Discography