|Ethnicity||Pathan Hindus, Pakistani Hindus|
|Current region||Mumbai, India|
|Connected families||Bachchan family|
|Active since 1929, for nearly 84-85 years. (Prithviraj Kapoor acted in Alam Ara in 1931, which was also the first talkie film of India)|
The Kapoor family is of Hindu origin. According to Shammi Kapoor the family are Hindu Pashtuns. Prithviraj Kapoor was the first from the family to pursue acting. He was born in the town of Samundri in Punjab, British India in 1906. His father, Basheshwarnath Kapoor, served as a police officer of the Indian Imperial Police, in the city of Peshawar, British India. while his grandfather, Keshavmal Kapoor, was a Tehsildar in Samundri. Prithviraj's first lead role was in Cinema Girl in 1929.
All three of Prithviraj Kapoor's sons, Raj Kapoor, Shammi Kapoor, and Shashi Kapoor, became actors. Raj Kapoor's sons, Randhir Kapoor and Rishi Kapoor, went on to become well-known actors; his youngest son, Rajiv Kapoor, was not as successful as his brothers. Shashi Kapoor's daughter Sanjana Kapoor also took to acting in films, although she had a short career as a film actress. Randhir Kapoor and Babita's daughters, Karisma Kapoor and Kareena Kapoor, have found success in the film industry. Rishi Kapoor's son, Ranbir Kapoor has established himself as a leading Bollywood actor.
Members of the Kapoor family
- Prithviraj Kapoor – son of Basheshwarnath Kapoor; married to Ramsarni Mehra. First member of the family to enter the Hindi Film Industry.
- Trilok Kapoor – second son of Basheshwarnath Kapoor
- Raj Kapoor – eldest son of Prithviraj; married to Krishna Malhotra, sister of actor Prem Nath
- Shammi Kapoor – second son of Prithviraj; married to Geeta Bali (first wife) and Neila Devi (second wife)
- Urmila Kapoor – daughter of Prithviraj
- Shashi Kapoor – youngest son of Prithviraj; married to Jennifer Kendal
- Juggal Kishore Mehra – cousin of Shammi, Shashi and Raj Kapoor
- Randhir Kapoor – eldest son of Raj Kapoor; married to Babita Kapoor
- Ritu Nanda – elder daughter of Raj Kapoor; married to Rajan Nanda
- Rishi Kapoor – second son of Raj Kapoor; married to Neetu Singh Kapoor
- Rima Jain – younger daughter of Raj Kapoor; married to Manoj Jain
- Rajiv Kapoor – youngest son of Raj Kapoor
- Aditya Raj Kapoor – son of Shammi Kapoor; married to Priti
- Kanchan Kapoor – daughter of Shammi Kapoor; married to Ketan Desai
- Kunal Kapoor – younger son of Shashi Kapoor and Jennifer Kendal; married to Sheena Sippy, daughter of film director Ramesh Sippy
- Karan Kapoor – elder son of Shashi Kapoor and Jennifer Kendal
- Sanjana Kapoor – daughter of Shashi Kapoor and Jennifer Kendal; married to Valmik Thapar
- Karisma Kapoor — elder daughter of Randhir Kapoor and Babita; previously married to Sanjay Kapur, a businessman
- Kareena Kapoor Khan — younger daughter of Randhir Kapoor and Babita; married to actor Saif Ali Khan
- Ranbir Kapoor — son of Rishi Kapoor and Neetu Singh
- Riddhima Kapoor Sahni — daughter of Rishi Kapoor and Neetu Singh; married to Bharat Sahni, a businessman
- Nikhil Nanda — son of Ritu Nanda and Rajan Nanda; married to Shweta Bachchan, daughter of actors Amitabh Bachchan and Jaya Bachchan
- Armaan Jain — elder son of Rima Jain and Manoj Jain
- Aadar Jain — younger son of Rima Jain and Manoj Jain
- Samaira Kapur — daughter of Karisma Kapoor and Sanjay Kapur
- Kiaan Raj Kapur — son of Karisma Kapoor and Sanjay Kapur
- Samara Sahni — daughter of Riddhima Kapoor Sahni and Bharat Sahni
- Navya Naveli Nanda — daughter of Nikhil Nanda and Shweta Nanda (nee Bachchan)
- Agstya Nanda — son of Nikhil Nanda and Shweta Nanda (nee Bachchan)
- Nirpal Dhaliwal. "Nirpal Dhaliwal: My Bollywood bit part | Film". The Guardian. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Sharmistha Gooptu
- "Nikhil Nanda & Shweta Bachchan - Take a peek at the business & political landscape of marriages | The Economic Times". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. 2013-03-22. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Bengali Cinema: 'An Other Nation' by Sharmistha Gooptu
- Fashion Cultures: Theories, Explorations, and Analysis edited by Stella Bruzzi, Pamela Church
- Shammi Kapoor Interview 20th October 2007
- "Prithviraj Kapoor (Indian actor) - Encyclopedia Britannica". Britannica.com. 2013-02-04. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Untitled Document
- rediff.com: Bollywood's First Family
- "Nikhil Nanda: The business of life - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "Indian cinema@100: 35 fun facts about the Kapoors of Bollywood". NDTV. April 29, 2013. Retrieved May 3, 2013.