Sonali Bendre at IIJW Ramp Walk in Aug 2012
1 January 1975 |
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Years active||1994–2004, 2009–2013|
|Spouse(s)||Goldie Behl (m. 2002)|
Sonali Bendre (born January 1, 1975) is an Indian actress and model. She has mostly starred in Bollywood films. She is best known for her commendable performance In Telugu films like Murari, Khadgam, Indra, Manmadhudu and Shankar Dada M.B.B.S..
She has also acted in various Marathi, Tamil and Kannada films. She was also one of the four judges in the fourth season of Indian Idol and India's Got Talent. She has been the brand ambassador for Pril soap, Surya bulbs and tubes, Omega watches, Dr. Morepen, Dabur, Vi-John Group etc in Maharashtra and Kalyana Kanchi in Andhra Pradesh.
Personal life and education 
Sonali was born in a Maharashtrian family. She studied in Bangalore and Mumbai in Kendriya Vidyalaya Malleswaram and Holy Cross Convent High School, Thane.Thereafter she went to Welham Girls School, Dehradun. She married film actor/director Goldie Behl on 12 November 2002. On 11 August 2005, she gave birth to a son, Ranveer, at the Breach Candy Hospital.
Bendre started out as a model before being selected for the "Star Dust Talent Search". She was invited to Mumbai and received training from a variety of top actors and performers of the Indian film industry. Her first role was in Aag (1994) opposite Govinda.
Though, she initially struggled to be a successful actress, she was eventually given critical acclaim for her performances in Diljale in 1996, followed by Bhai (1997), Sarfarosh, Zakhm, Duplicate, Kadhalar Dhinam (Tamil film), Hum Saath-Saath Hain: We Stand United (1999), Tera Mera Saath Rahey and Anahat (2003) among others. She is also known for being one of the few actresses who acted opposite all top four Khans (Shahrukh, Aamir, Salman and Saif). She has also starred opposite Bollywood actors such as Akshay Kumar, Sunil Shetty, Ajay Devgn, Sanjay Dutt and Anil Kapoor. She also starred opposite Telugu Superstars Chiranjeevi and Akkineni Nagarjuna in films such as Indra, Shankar Dada M.B.B.S., Angaaray, Manmadhudu and Kannada Superstar Upendra in the film Preethse.
In addition to her acting performances, she was also recognized as a graceful dancer through films such as Gaddar, Sapoot, Bombay, Lajja and Major Saab. In 2003, she made a special appearance as Shahrukh Khan's doctor in Kal Ho Naa Ho (produced by Karan Johar), which also starred Saif Ali Khan and Preity Zinta. Bendre also starred in the theatre in a play called, Aap Ki Soniya. She had also welcomed Michael Jackson on his arrival In India in traditional Maharashtrian nauvari sari on November 1, 1996.
Television career 
She also hosted a dance show on television named Kya Masti Kya Dhoom....! and was one of the judges of Indian Idol on Sony Entertainment television. She also hosted the 50th Filmfare Awards with Saif Ali Khan and Farida Jalal on 26 February 2005. She was a judge on Mr & Mrs Television, Indian Idol 4 and India's Got Talent. In 2012, she also appeared as a judge on reality dance series, Hindustan Ke Hunarbaaz, on Life OK, along with choreographer Terence Lewis. . Currently she is appearing as a judge in "India's Best Dramebaaz" on Zee TV with Anurag Basu and Vivek Oberoi...
Bollywood comeback 
At the end of June 2012, Sonali Bendre was rumoured to quit judging India's Got Talent 4. She was said to be likely replaced by Ritesh Deshmukh. However, later, it turned out she opted out of the show in order to give her dates for her comeback vehicle, Once Upon a Time Again, though as of now, the channel hasn't spoken to Bendre. Later, at the beginning of July, Sonali Bendre announced she will be making her comeback by portraying a character connected to the one played by Akshay Kumar in the movie. Her part was described by the director Milan Luthria: "Sonali's character is called Mumtaz. The name spells enigma and is very crucial to the plot of the film. The character doesn't fit into the usual mould of a mother or a sister or bhabhi but has an identity of its own. That is what makes it special. And that's why Sonali agreed to be a part of the film." She took a sabbatical from movies after 2004, then after giving birth to her son she started doing television. She refused to star in many movies, saying she wants to focus on her family, especially her son. But after she was offered Once Upon a Time Again, she said yes because of her friendship with Ekta and Shobha Kapoor and the fact she worked with both Luthria (Chori Chori) and Kumar (Tarazu, Sapoot, Angaaray, Keemat) before.
- 1995, Filmfare Lux New Face Award - Aag
- 1994, Star Screen Award Most Promising Newcomer - Female
- 2001, Star Screen Award Best Supporting Actress - Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai
- 2004, Star Screen Award, Best Actress Marathi - Anahat
- 2011, Most Chahiti Personality - India's Got Talent
|1995||The Don||Anita Malik|
Special appearance(Item number)
|1996||Rakshak||Dr. Pooja Malhotra|
|1996||English Babu Desi Mem||Bijuriya|
|1996||Apne Dam Par||Special appearance|
|1998||Keemat - They Are Back||Mansi|
|1998||Humse Badhkar Kaun||Anu|
|1999||Love You Hamesha||Shivani||Released in 2001|
|1999||Kadhalar Dhinam||Roja||Tamil film
Dubbed into Telugu into Premikula Roju
Remade into Hindi as Dil Hi Dil Mein
|1999||Kannodu Kanbathellam||Kalyani||Tamil film|
|1999||Hum Saath-Saath Hain: We Stand United||Preeti|
|1999||Dahek||Sabina Bahkshi/Neelima Bahkshi|
|2000||Dil Hi Dil Mein||Roja|
|2000||Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai||Khushi|
|2000||Dhai Akshar Prem Ke||Nisha||Special appearance|
|2000||Jis Desh Mein Ganga Rehta Hain||Saawni|
Dubbed into Tamil
|2001||Love Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega||Sapna Chopra|
|2001||Lajja||Dancer||Item number in the song "Mujhe Saajan Ke Ghar Jaana Hai"|
|2001||Tera Mera Saath Rahen||Madhuri|
Dubbed into Hindi and Tamil
|2003||Anahat||Queen Sheelavati||Marathi film|
|2003||Pyaar Kiya Nahin Jaatha|
|2003||Palnati Brahmanayudu||Siva Nageshwari||Telugu film|
|2003||Kal Ho Naa Ho||Priya||Guest role|
|2004||Shankar Dada MBBS||Dr. Sunita||Telugu film|
|2004||Aga Bai Arrecha!||Marathi film
|2013||Once Upon a Time in Mumbai Again||Mumtaz||Filming (Releasing on August 8, 2013)|
- "Sonali Bendre Birthday Bash". Reviews.in.88db.com. Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- "Sonali Bendre becomes the brand ambassador for an almond hair oil". The Times Of India. 7 September 2011.
- "Many takers for married actresses in ad world". Masala.com. Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- "Sonali Bendre and Genelia in Kalyana Kanchi Jewellery Designs(wedding jewellery) - Bollywood Mantra - Sonali Bendre". Bollywood Mantra. Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- "bollyvista.com". Sonali Bendre's set to tie the knot!. Retrieved 9 August 2007.
- "Sonali Bendre delivers a baby boy". ExpressIndia.com. 12 August 2005. Retrieved 2010-10-18.
- Kal Ho Naa Ho Indiafm.com
- "deccanherald.com". Sonali Bendre's to star in the theatre. Archived from the original on 29 September 2007. Retrieved 9 August 2007.
- "No crying and weeping please. Just Enjoy!". Hindustan Times. October 27, 2012.
- "Busker Boys hopeful for 'Hindustan Ke Hunarbaz'". The Times of India. Oct 28, 2012.
- "Ritesh Deshmukh to judge India’s Got Talent?". 20 June 2012.
- "I might never do another film role". 3 July 2012.
- "Sonali Bendre returns to films". 2 July 2012.
- "Sonali set to make a comeback". 3 July 2012.
- "Sonali Bendre makes a comeback in films". 3 July 2012.
- "I feel like I'm coming home: Sonali Bendre". 3 July 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Sonali Bendre|