Sonali Bendre at IIJW 2012 ramp walk
1 January 1975 |
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Years active||1994–2004, 2009–present|
|Spouse(s)||Goldie Behl (m. 2002)|
Sonali Bendre (Marathi: सोनाली बेंद्रे) (born 1 January 1975) is an Indian actress, television personality and model. She has appeared in more than 50 Hindi films in genres including romance, action and comedy. Apart from starring in Bollywood films, she has also acted in various Tamil, Telugu, Marathi and Kannada films.
She was also one of the four judges in the fourth season of Indian Idol and India's Got Talent. She has been the brand ambassador for Pril soap, Surya bulbs and tubes, Omega watches, Dr. Morepen, Dabur, Vi-John Group etc. in Maharashtra and Kalyana Kanchi in Andhra Pradesh. She would be the narrator of the TV Reality Show Mission Sapne on Colors TV.
Personal life and education
Sonali was born in Mumbai into a Marathi family. She studied in Bangalore and Mumbai in Kendriya Vidyalaya Malleswaram and Holy Cross Convent High School, Thane.Thereafter she went to Welham Girls School, Dehradun. She married film director Goldie Behl on 12 November 2002. On 11 August 2005, she gave birth to a son, Ranveer, at the Breach Candy Hospital.
Bendre started out as a model before being selected for the "Star Dust Talent Search". She was invited to Mumbai and received training from a variety of top actors and performers of the Indian film industry. Her first role was in Aag (1994) opposite Govinda.
Though, she initially struggled to be a successful actress, she was eventually given critical acclaim for her performances in Diljale in 1996, followed by Bhai (1997), Sarfarosh, Zakhm, Duplicate, Kadhalar Dhinam (Tamil film), Hum Saath-Saath Hain: We Stand United (1999), Tera Mera Saath Rahen (2001) and Anahat (2003) among others. She is also known for being one of the few actresses who acted opposite all top four Khans (Salman, Aamir, Shahrukh and Saif). She has also starred opposite Bollywood actors such as Akshay Kumar, Sunil Shetty, Ajay Devgn, Sanjay Dutt and Anil Kapoor. She also starred opposite Telugu Superstars Chiranjeevi and Akkineni Nagarjuna in films such as Indra, Shankar Dada M.B.B.S., Angaaray, Manmadhudu and Kannada Superstar Upendra in the film Preethse (remake of Darr) 
In addition to her acting performances, she was also recognized as a graceful dancer through films such as Gaddar, Sapoot, Bombay, Lajja and Major Saab. In 2003, she made a special appearance as Shahrukh Khan's doctor in Kal Ho Naa Ho (produced by Karan Johar), which also starred Saif Ali Khan and Preity Zinta. Bendre also starred in the theatre in a play called, Aap Ki Soniya. She had also welcomed Michael Jackson on his arrival in India in traditional Maharashtrian nauvari sari on 1 November 1996.
She also hosted a dance show on television named Kya Masti Kya Dhoom....! and was one of the judges of Indian Idol on Sony Entertainment television. She also hosted the 50th Filmfare Awards with Saif Ali Khan and Farida Jalal on 26 February 2005. She was a judge on Mr & Mrs Television, Indian Idol 4 and India's Got Talent. In 2012, she also appeared as a judge on reality dance series, Hindustan Ke Hunarbaaz, on Life OK, along with choreographer Terence Lewis.
She also appeared as a judge in India's Best Dramebaaz on Zee TV. She is next appearing as narrator in the TV Show Mission Sapne to be aired on Colors in March–April 2014. Sonali has been finalized to play the lead role in Star Life OK's television serial Ajeeb Dastaan Hai Yeh. The serial started airing in October 2014. She plays the main character called Shoba Sachdev.
At the end of June 2012, Sonali Bendre was rumoured to quit judging India's Got Talent 4. She was said to be likely replaced by Ritesh Deshmukh. However, later, it turned out she opted out of the show in order to give her dates for her comeback vehicle, Once Upon ay Time in Mumbai Dobaara!, though as of now, the channel hasn't spoken to Bendre. Later, at the beginning of July, Sonali Bendre announced she will be making her comeback by portraying a character connected to the one played by Akshay Kumar in the movie. Her part was described by the director Milan Luthria: "Sonali's character is called Mumtaz. The name spells enigma and is very crucial to the plot of the film. The character doesn't fit into the usual mould of a mother or a sister or bhabhi but has an identity of its own. That is what makes it special. And that's why Sonali agreed to be a part of the film." She took a sabbatical from movies after 2004, then after giving birth to her son she started doing television. She refused to star in many movies, saying she wants to focus on her family, especially her son. But after she was offered Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai Dobara, she said yes because of her friendship with Ekta and Shobha Kapoor and the fact she worked with both Luthria (Chori Chori) and Kumar (Tarazu, Sapoot, Angaaray, Keemat) before.
- 1995, Filmfare Lux New Face Award – Aag
- 1994, Star Screen Award Most Promising Newcomer - Female
- 2001, Star Screen Award Best Supporting Actress – Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai
- 2004, Star Screen Award, Best Actress Marathi – Anahat
- Golden Petal Awards
- 2011, Most Chahiti Personality – India's Got Talent
|1994||Aag||Parul||Filmfare Lux New Face Award|
|1995||The Don||Anita Malik|
Special appearance(Item number)
|1996||Rakshak||Dr. Pooja Malhotra|
|1996||English Babu Desi Mem||Bijuriya|
|1996||Apne Dam Par||Special appearance|
|1998||Keemat - They Are Back||Mansi|
|1998||Humse Badhkar Kaun||Anu|
|1999||Love You Hamesha||Shivani||Released in 2001|
|1999||Kadhalar Dhinam||Roja||Tamil film
Dubbed into Telugu into Premikula Roju
Remade into Hindi as Dil Hi Dil Mein
|1999||Kannodu Kanbathellam||Kalyani||Tamil film|
|1999||Hum Saath Saath Hain||Preeti|
|1999||Dahek||Sabina Bahkshi/Neelima Bahkshi|
|2000||Chal Mere Bhai||Vicky's beloved||Special appearance|
|2000||Dil Hi Dil Mein||Roja|
|2000||Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai||Khushi||Star Screen Award Best Supporting Actress|
|2000||Dhai Akshar Prem Ke||Nisha||Special appearance|
|2000||Jis Desh Mein Ganga Rehta Hain||Saawni|
remake of Darr
Dubbed into Tamil
|2001||Love Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega||Sapna Chopra|
|2001||Lajja||Dancer||Item number in the song "Mujhe Saajan Ke Ghar Jaana Hai"|
|2001||Tera Mera Saath Rahen||Madhuri|
Dubbed into Hindi and Tamil
|2003||Anahat||Queen Sheelavati||Marathi film|
|2003||Pyaar Kiya Nahin Jaatha||Disha|
|2003||Palnati Brahmanayudu||Siva Nageswari||Telugu film|
|2003||Kal Ho Naa Ho||Priya||Guest role|
|2004||Shankar Dada MBBS||Dr. Sunita||Telugu film|
|2004||Aga Bai Arrecha!||Marathi film
|2013||Once Upon Ay Time in Mumbai Dobaara!||Mumtaz Khan|
2014 [ Ajeeb Dastaan Hai Yeh ] as Shobha Sachdev
- "Sonali Bendre Birthday Bash". Reviews.in.88db.com. Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- "Sonali Bendre becomes the brand ambassador for an almond hair oil". The Times of India. 7 September 2011.
- "Many takers for married actresses in ad world". Masala.com. Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- "Sonali Bendre and Genelia in Kalyana Kanchi Jewellery Designs(wedding jewellery) – Bollywood Mantra – Sonali Bendre". Bollywood Mantra. Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- "Sonali Bendre to be Narrator in TV Reality Show Mission Sapne". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Interview with Sonali Bendre
- "bollyvista.com". Sonali Bendre's set to tie the knot!. Retrieved 9 August 2007.
- "Sonali Bendre delivers a baby boy". ExpressIndia.com. 12 August 2005. Retrieved 2010-10-18.
- Kal Ho Naa Ho Indiafm.com
- "deccanherald.com". Sonali Bendre's to star in the theatre. Archived from the original on 29 September 2007. Retrieved 9 August 2007.
- "No crying and weeping please............. Just Enjoy!". Hindustan Times. 27 October 2012.
- "Busker Boys hopeful for 'Hindustan Ke Hunarbaz'". The Times of India. 28 October 2012.
- "Ajeeb Dastaan Hai Yeh on Life OK: Sonali Bendre’s Dubut in Fiction Space". TellyMirror.
- "Ritesh Deshmukh to judge India's Got Talent?". 20 June 2012.
- "I might never do another film role". 3 July 2012.
- "Sonali Bendre returns to films". 2 July 2012.
- "Sonali set to make a comeback". 3 July 2012.
- "Sonali Bendre makes a comeback in films". 3 July 2012.
- "I feel like I'm coming home: Sonali Bendre". 3 July 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sonali Bendre.|