Kilimanjaro International Airport
|Kilimanjaro International Airport
Uwanja wa Ndege wa Kimataifa wa Kilimanjaro
|IATA: JRO – ICAO: HTKJ
– WMO: 63791
|Serves||Arusha and Moshi|
|Location||Hai District, Tanzania|
|Elevation AMSL||2,932 ft / 894 m|
Kilimanjaro International Airport (KIA) (IATA: JRO, ICAO: HTKJ) is an international airport in northern Tanzania that serves the cities of Arusha and Moshi. The airport also serves the international tourism industry based on Mount Kilimanjaro, Arusha National Park, Tarangire National Park, Lake Manyara National Park, Ngorongoro Crater, and Serengeti National Park. The airport bills itself as the "Gateway to Africa's Wildlife Heritage".
Many international visitors also go to national parks in Kenya, to the Indian Ocean coast, to islands such as Zanzibar, and to Lake Victoria, reflected in the routes of connecting flights. Despite its small size, the airport can handle aircraft as large as Boeing 747s and Antonov 124s. The airport served 665,147 passengers in 2012, a 3.7 percent increase over 2011. According to a 2012 published report, the Netherlands is helping to fund a USD $36.4 million upgrade and expansion of the airport.
Kilimanjaro Airport opened on 2 December 1971 and cost US$13 million to build. The construction was financed by a long term loan from the Italian government. In 1998, it became the first international airport in Africa to be privatized and is operated by the Kilimanjaro Airport Development Company.
Airlines and destinations
The following airlines maintain regular, scheduled passenger and cargo service to Kilimanjaro International Airport.
- (Swahili)"Waziri wa Uchukuzi awasilisha Bungeni Makadirio ya Mapato na Matumizi ya Fedha ya Mwaka 2013/2014", Tanzania Ministry of Transport, page 60
- "KIA at a Glance", Kilimanjaro Airport Development Company
- Welling, Dominic (3 January 2012). "Dutch to fund $36.4m Kilimanjaro Airport facelift". Airport World. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- (Swahili)"Waziri wa Uchukuzi awasilisha Bungeni Makadirio ya Mapato na Matumizi ya Fedha ya Mwaka 2013/2014", Tanzania Ministry of Transport, pages 60-61
- "Tanzania Airport Opens", The New York Times, 2 December 1971
- Partial Listing of Scheduled Airlines At KIA
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kilimanjaro International Airport.|