Knob Creek (bourbon)
|Country of origin||United States (Kentucky)|
|Alcohol by volume||50.00%|
|Related products||Jim Beam|
Knob Creek is a brand of Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey produced by Beam Suntory at the Jim Beam distillery in Clermont, Kentucky. It is one of the four Jim Beam small batch bourbon brands targeted for the high-end liquor market. Its siblings in the line are Booker's, Baker's, and Basil Hayden's.
The primary expression of the brand is bottled at 100 proof (higher than the typical 80 that is the minimum required by U.S. Federal labeling requirements) and aged for nine years (which is longer than many Bourbon brands and is longer than most other Jim Beam Small Batch brands).
Knob Creek comes in a rectangular bottle with a corked or twist-on cap and wax-sealed top. The bourbon has a dark, golden-brown color. According to the company, this is due to the relatively long aging process, which allows it to absorb more sugar from the wood than is the case for the other Jim Beam Small Batch brands. The company describes the flavor as "rich, sweet, woody, full-bodied, almost fruity", and the aroma as "toasted nuts, grain, oak".
In 2009, Beam ran a campaign to publicize their shortage of Knob Creek bourbon. Demand exceeded the 2000 forecast, when the stock began the aging process.
The original 100 proof Knob Creek bourbon was introduced in 1992.
A new Knob Creek Smoked Maple Bourbon was released in 2013.
Knob Creek bourbon has won a number of accolades from Spirit ratings organizations. The San Francisco World Spirits Competitions, for example, gave it two double gold, three golds, one silver, and one bronze medal between 2005 and 2012. Wine Enthusiast Magazine scored Knob Creek in its 90-95 point interval in 2005. The Beverage Testing Institute rated it twice, giving it 90 points on one occasion and 91 points on another. At the Denver International Spirits Competition in 2013, Knob Creek Rye Whiskey received a Double Gold medal and Knob Creek Single Barrel Bourbon received a Silver medal.
- "Knob Creek Bourbon". BourbonEnthusiast.com. Retrieved March 18, 2013.
- Review at Boys of Bourbon[dead link]
- Knob Creek Tasting Notes, Beam Global Spirits & Wine web site. (accessed 29 Mar. 2011)
- Clark, Andrew (2009-07-20). "Knob Creek runs dry". The Guardian (London).
- Knob Creek® Single Barrel Reserve Product Page
- Knob Creek® Rye Product Page
- Fischer, Tom (June 20, 2013). "Knob Creek Smoked Maple Bourbon". Retrieved June 20, 2013.
- "Proof66.com's Summary Page for Knob Creek". Retrieved 2012-10-20.
- Heck, Jeff (March 10, 2013). "Denver International Spirits Competition 2013 Medal Winners and Results". Retrieved October 17, 2013.