List of regiments of the Russian Air Force
The Russian Air Force, like the Soviet Air Forces before them, has the aviation regiment as its basic organisational unit. This page will slowly attempt to list all the regiments in Russian Air Force service since May 7, 1992, the date on which Boris Yeltsin decreed the establishment of the Russian Ministry of Defence.
Primary initial source for this listing is Piotr Butowski, 'Force Report: Russian Air Force,' Air Forces Monthly, July and August 2007. Other sources included Jane's World Air Forces, Issue 0, March 1996.
|1st Guards Instructor Bomber Aviation Regiment||IBAP||Lebyazhye||NA||HQ VVS||Su-24||Training unit|
|2nd Bomber Aviation Regiment||BAP||Dzhida||21st SAD||14th Air Army||Su-24M;|
|3rd Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP||Krymsk||?||4th Air Army||Su-27||Ex 562nd IAP|
|3rd Bomber Aviation Regiment||BAP||Krzywa, Poland 1961-92||149 BAD||4th Air Army||Briefly at Szprotawa, Poland, early 1992, 4 June 1992, then withdrawn to Lebyazhe, Volgograd Oblast, disbanded 1992 ( )|
|9th Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP||Kilp-Yavr (Poliarnyi)||?||6th Air Army||Su-27;||Ex 941st IAP|
|11th Reconnaissance Aviation Regiment||RAP||Marinovka||?||4th Air Army||Su-24MR;||2005 renamed 6972nd Aviation Base|
|14th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP-VVS||Khalino near Kursk||NA||16th Air Army||MiG-29||Moved in 1998 from Zerdevka to Khalino|
|18th Assault Air Regiment||ShAP||Galyonki||303th SAD||11th Air Army||Su-25;|
|19th Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP||Millerovo||NA||4th Air Army||MiG-29;|
|22nd Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP||Centralnaya Uglovaya (Artem)||23 KPVO||11th Air Army||Su-27;|
|23rd Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP||Dzemgi||25th DPVO||11th Air Army||Su-27||First -27SM unit|
|28th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP-VVS||Andreapol||NA||16th Air Army||MiG-29||Reformed from 33 IAP, withdrawn from Wittstock, GSFG 1994|
|31st Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP||Zernograd||NA||4th Air Army||MiG-29;|
|33rd Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP||Andreapol||16th Air Army||MiG-29||Disbanded 1994.|
|35th Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP||Zherdevka||VVS MVO||MiG-29||Disbanded 1996. |
|41st Fighter Aviation Regiment PVO||IAP||Burevestnik, Iturup Island||24th Air Defence Division PVO||11th Air Defence Army?||MiG-23ML/MLD||Disbanded May 1994 |
|47th Guards Reconnaissance Aviation Regiment||RAP||Shatalovo||NA||16th Air Army||MiG-25 and Su-24MR||Pomerania Red Banner; 1988-93 named 1046th TsBPiPLS|
|52nd Heavy Bomber Aviation Regiment||TBAP||Shaykovka||22nd TBAD||37th Air Army||Tu-22M3|
|54th Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP||Savasleyka||NA||HQ PVO||Su-27||Disbanded 2005-06 (Holm: disbanded 2002 and absorbed by 3958 Aviation Base)|
|67th Bomber Aviation Regiment||BAP||Siverskiy-2||NA||6th Air Army||Su-24|||
|79th Heavy Bomber Aviation Regiment||TBAP||Ukrainka||326th TBAD||37th Air Army||TU-95MS|
|98th Guards Reconnaissance Aviation Regiment||RAP||Monchegorsk||NA||6th Air Army||MiG-25RB/U, Su-24MR|||
|103rd Transport Aviation Regiment||VTAP||Smolensk||NA||61st Air Army||Il-76|
|110th Transport Aviation Regiment||VTAP||Krechevitsy||NA||61st Air Army||Il-76|
|117th Transport Aviation Regiment||VTAP||Orenburg||NA||61st Air Army||Il-76/An-12|
|120th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP||Domna, 27 km SW Chita||NA||14th Air Army||MiG-29;|
|121st Heavy Bomber Aviation Regiment||TBAP||Engels-2||22nd TBAD||37th Air Army||Tu-160|
|138th Independent Mixed Air Regiment||OSAP||Levashevo||NA||6th Air Army||An-12, An-26, Mi-8, Tu-134;|
|159th Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP||Besovets||NA||6th Air Army||Su-27;|
|160th Training Aviation Regiment||UAP||Borisoglebsk||786th Training Centre||HQ VVS||Su-27|
|174th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP-PVO||Monchegorsk||21st Air Defence Corps||10th Army PVO||MiG-25, MiG-31||Печенгский Red Banner named for B.F. Safonov, Disbanded September 1, 2001|
|176th Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP-VVS||Mikha Tskhakaya (Senaki), Georgia||?||34th Air Army||MiG-29||Withdrawn to Bagai-Baranovka in 1992 and disbanded|
|177th Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP||Lodeynoye Pole||NA||6th Air Army||Su-27;|
|182nd Heavy Bomber Aviation Regiment||TBAP||Ukrainka||326th TBAD||37th Air Army||Tu-95MS|
|184th Guards Heavy Bomber Aviation Regiment||TBAP||Engels-2||22nd TBAD||37th Air Army||Tu-95MS||In Ukraine until 2000; reformed at Engels-2 on 1 September 2000.|
|187th Assault Aviation Regiment||ShAP||Chernigovka||303rd SAD||11th Air Army||Su-25;|
|196th Transport Aviation Regiment||VTAP||Migalovo||12th VTAD||61st Air Army||Il-76|
|200th Heavy Bomber Aviation Regiment||TBAP||Belaya||326th TBAD||37th Air Army||Tu-22M3/MR|
|226th Independent Mixed Aviation Regiment||OSAP||Kubinka||NA||KSN||Mi-8, Mi-9, An-12, An-24, An-26, An-30|
|237th Guards Air Technology Demonstration Centre||TsPAT||Kubinka||NA||16th Air Army||MiG-29, Su-27, Su-27M, L-39C|
|257th Independent Mixed Aviation Regiment||OSAP||Khabarovsk-Bolshoy||NA||11th Air Army||An-12, An-26, Mi-8;|
|265th Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP-PVO||Poduzhemye, Karelian ASSR||23rd Air Defence Division||10th Air Defence Army||Sukhoi Su-27||Disbanded 1994.|
|266th Assault Aviation Regiment||ShAP||Step||21 SAD||14th Air Army||Su-25;|
|274th Aviation Regiment of Fighter-Bombers||APIB||Migalovo||VVS MVO||Su-17||Disbanded 1993.|
|277th Bomber Aviation Regiment||BAP||Khurba||303 SAD||11th Air Army||Su-24|
|296th Bomber Air Regiment||BAP||Marinovka||10 BAD||4 A VVS i PVO||Su-24||Disbanded after 2002|
|302nd Bomber Aviation Regiment||BAP||Verino||303 SAD||11th Air Army||Su-24|
|313th Reconnaissance Aviation Regiment||RAP||Bada||21 SAD||14th Air Army||Su-24MR;|
|334th Transport Aviation regiment||VTAP||Pskov||NA||61st Air Army||Il-76|
|343rd Instructional Fighter Aviation Regiment||IIAP||Sennoy||MiG-29||Disbanded 1998.|
|368th Assault Aviation Regiment||ShAP||Budyonnovsk||NA||4th Air Army||Su-25|
|431st Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP-PVO||Afrikanda||10th Air Defence Army||Su-15||Formed January 1942; merged with 641 GvIAP in September 1993 to form 470 GvIAP.|
|444th Heavy Bomber Aviation Regiment||TBAP||Ussuriysk||326th TBAD||37th Air Army||Tu-22M3|
|445th Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP-PVO||Savatiya (Kotlas)||23rd Air Defence Division||10th Air Defence Army||MiG-25P||Formed July 1941; 1993 absorbed by the 72nd Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment PVO.|
|455th Bomber Aviation Regiment||BAP||Chertovitskoye, Voronezh||105 SAD||16th Air Army||Su-24|
|458th Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP||Savatiya (Kotlas)||NA||6th Air Army||MiG-25U, MiG-31;|
|461st Assault Aviation Regiment||ShAP||Krasnodar||NA||4th Air Army||Su-25||Partially formed from portion of 80 OShAP withdrawn from Azerbaijan|
|470th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP-PVO||Afrikanda||NA||6th Air Army||Su-27||Disbanded September 1, 2001|
|472nd Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP-PVO||Kursk||7th Division of PVO||Moscow Dist PVO?||MiG-23S||Disbanded May 1, 1998|
|518th Fighter Aviation Regiment PVO||IAP-PVO||Talagi Airport||Corps PVO||10th Air Defence Army||MiG-31?||518 иап 1945. Disbanded 1998.|
|524th Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP-PVO||Letneozersk||22nd Air Defence Corps||10th Air Defence Army||Mikoyan MiG-25P||Disbanded 1994|
|530th Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP||Sokolovka||23 PVO||11th Air Army||MiG-25PU, MiG-31|
|535th Independent Mixed Aviation Regiment||OSAP||Rostov on Don||NA||4th Air Army||Mi-8, An-12 and An-26|
|559th Bomber Aviation Regiment||BAP||Morozovsk||NA||4th Air Army||Su-24|
|566th Transport Aviation Regiment||VTAP||Seshcha||12th VTAD||61st Air Army||Il-76/An-124|
|611th Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP-PVO||Dorokhovo||32nd KPVO||KSN||Su-27|
|708th Transport Aviation Regiment||VTAP||Taganrog||NA||61st Air Army||Il-76||15.10.09 renamed 798th Guards Kerch Red Banner Military-Transport Aviation Regiment. Awards from the 192nd Guards Military-Transport Aviation Regiment. (Holm)|
|712th Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP-PVO||Kansk||None||14th Air Army||MiG-25PU, MiG-31|
|722nd Bomber Aviation Regiment||BAP||Smuravyevo||NA||6th Air Army||Su-24;|
|763rd Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP||MiG-31||Disbanded 1998.|
|750th Training Aviation Regiment||UAP||Orsk, Orenburg Oblast||43 TsBPiPLS DA||Long Range Aviation||Tupolev Tu-134UBL|| Disbanded 1998.|
|764th Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP||Bolshoye Savino||None||HQ VVS||MiG-25PU, MiG-31|
|765th Fighter Aviation Regiment PVO||IAP-PVO||Salka, Sverdlovsk Oblast||20th Air Defence Corps||4th Air Defence Army||Disbanded 1994?|
|773rd Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP||Andreapol||16 GvIAD||16th Air Army||MiG-29||Absorbed by 28 GvIAP, MAy 1994.|
|790th Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP-PVO||Khotilovo||32 KPVO||KSN||MiG-31, MiG-25U|
|799th Reconnaissance Aviation Regiment||RAP||Varfolomeyevka||NA||11th Air Army||Su-24MR, MiG-25RB(?);|
|840th Heavy Bomber Aviation Regiment||TBAP||Soltsy-2||22nd TBAD||37th Air Army||Tu-22M3|
|849th Fighter Aviation Regiment PVO||IAP-PVO||Kupino, Novosibirsk Oblast||41st Air Defence Division||14th Air Defence Army||MiG-23ML/MLD||Kupino 1962-98. Disbanded 1 August 1998.|
|865th Red Banner Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP-PVO||Yelizovo||6th Air Defence Division||11th Air Defence Army||Mikoyan MiG-31||Transferred to Pacific Fleet on 1 July 1998|
|871st Fighter Aviation Regiment||IAP-VVS||Smolensk||?||16th Air Army?||Su-27||Pomerania Red Banner; Withdrawn from Kolobrezg, Poland, disbanded 1993-8|
|899th Assault Aviation Regiment||ShAP||Buturlinovka||105 SAD||16th Air Army||Su-25|
|959th Bomber Aviation Regiment||BAP||Yeysk||NA||4th Air Army||Su-24 and L-39C;|
|960th Assault Aviation Regiment||ShAP||Primorsko-Akhtarsk||NA||4th Air Army||Su-25;|
|968th Sevastopol Research-Instructor Composite Aviation Regiment||IIAP||Lipetsk||4 TsBPiPLS||HQ VVS||MiG-29, Su-25, Su-27/M, Su-30, Su-24M/MP/34||Altenburg, East Germany, 1989-Apr 92.|
Army aviation component
In December 2003 all aviation assets of the Russian Ground Forces were transferred to the Air Force.
|45th Independent Helicopter Regiment||OVP||Vorotynsk||KSN||Mi-24||Renamed from 336 OVP to 45 OVP 2000 or 2001|
|55th Independent Helicopter Regiment||OVP||Korenovsk||4th Air Army||Mi-8/Mi-24|
|112th Independent Helicopter Regiment||OVP||Chita||14th Air Army||Mi-8/Mi-24|
|225th Independent Helicopter Regiment||OVP||Protasovo near Ryazan||?||Mi-8/24||1998 disbanded and replaced by 865 Heli Reserve Base (BRV)|
|319th Independent Helicopter Regiment for Battle Control||OVP BU||Chernigovka||11th Air Army||Mi-24|
|325th Independent Transport-Combat Helicopter Regiment||OTBVP||Yegorlykskaya||4th Air Army||Mi-8/Mi-26|
|332nd Independent Helicopter Regiment for Battle Control||OVP BU||Pribylovo||6th Air Army||Mi-8/Mi-24|
|337th Independent Helicopter Regiment||OVP||Berdsk||14th Air Army||Mi-8/Mi-24/Mi-28|
|361st Independent Helicopter Regiment||OVP||Dolinsk-Sokol||11th Air Army||Mi-8|
|364th Independent Helicopter Regiment||OVP||Srednebelaya||11th Air Army||Mi-8/Mi-24/Mi-26|
|440th Independent Helicopter Regiment for Battle Control||OVP BU||Vyazma||KSN||Mi-8/Mi-24|
|487th Independent Helicopter Regiment for Battle Control||OVP BU||Budyonnovsk||4th Air Army||Mi-8/Mi-24|
|490th Independent Helicopter Regiment for Battle Control||OVP BU||Klokovo||KSN||Mi-8/Mi-24|
|793rd Independent Helicopter Regiment||OVP||Kinel||5th Air Army||Mi-8/Mi-26|
|825th Independent Helicopter Regiment||OVP||Garovka||11th Air Army||Mi-6/Mi-8/Mi-26||35th Army|
Index of abbreviations
It should be noted that while the titles of the regiments are translated, the regiment type sort uses the transliterated Russian abbreviation:
- IAP - Fighter Aviation Regiment
- BAP - Bomber Aviation Regiment
- RAP - Reconnaissance Aviation Regiment
- (O)SAP - (Independent) Mixed Aviation Regiment (also sometimes translated as Composite Aviation Regiment)
- UAP - Training Aviation Regiment
- UVP - Training Helicopter Regiment
- 'IAP-PVO' indicates the regiment was part of the Air Defence Forces before 1998, and is air defence dedicated. 'IAP-VVS' indicates that a regiment was part of the Air Force before 1998, and, in most cases, they are regiments tasked with attaining tactical air supremacy. Only a few regiments have a type suffix added yet.
- TsBPiPLS - Centre for Combat Training and Flight Personnel Training
- APIB - Fighter-Bomber Aviation Regiment
- APON - Aviation Regiment for Special Purposes
- IBAP - Instructor Bomber Aviation Regiment
- IISAP - Research Instructor Composite Aviation Regiment
- IVTAP - Instructor Military Transport Aviation Regiment
- OAPSZ - Independent Air Regiment of Tanker Aircraft
- OIAP - Independent Fighter Regiment
- OTBVP - Independent Transport-Combat Helicopter Regiment
- OSAP - Independent Composite Air Regiment
- OTBVP - Independent Transport-Combat Helicopter Regiment
- OVP - Independent Helicopter Regiment
- OVP BU - Independent Helicopter Regiment for Battle Control
- OVTAP - Independent Military Transport Air Regiment
- TBAP - Heavy Bomber Aviation Regiment
- VTAP - Military Transport Aviation Regiment
Other acronyms include:
- AB - Air base
- ABON - Air base for Special purposes
- ABSDRLO - Air Base of Long-range Radiolocation Detection Aircraft (Airborne early warning and control)
- AG - Air group
- BRS - Aircraft Reserve Base
- BRV - Helicopter Reserve Base
- CBPiBP - Centre for Combat Training and Combat Application
- CBPiPLS - Centre for Combat Training and Flight Personnel Training
- DPVO - Division of the PVO
- HQ - Headquarters
- KPVO - Corps of PVO (Air Defence Forces)
- SAD - Composite Aviation Division
- VVS - literally 'Military Air Forces,' the Russian term for the Russian Air Force
- VTAD - Military Transport Aviation Division
- UCBP - Training Center for Combat Application
- VA - Air Army
The Russian word отдельный can be translated as either 'Independent,' 'Separate' or (rarely) 'Detached'; it designates a unit which is directly subordinate to a formation commander without an intermediate echelon, such as an Aviation Division.
- A significant number of omitted regiments can be seen at: "Aviation Regiments". Ww2.dk. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- "2nd Guards Bomber Aviation Regiment". Ww2.dk. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- "3rd Bomber Aviation Regiment". Ww2.dk. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- Piotr Butowski, Air Power Analysis: Russian Federation, Part 2, International Air Power Review, Vol. 13, Summer 2004, p.88
- Michael Holm, , accessed December 2012.
- Michael Holm
- "54th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment". Ww2.dk. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- "67th Bomber Aviation Regiment". Ww2.dk. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- "98th independent Guards Reconnaissance Aviation Regiment". Ww2.dk. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- "174th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment PVO". Ww2.dk. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- With thanks to Mr. V.I. Feskov
- Butowski 2004, 82.
- "265th Fighter Aviation Regiment PVO". Ww2.dk. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- "Форум поддержки АГВП "Стрижи" - 274-й апиб (иап)". Strizhi.ru. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- "Николаев Николай Викторович". Vaul.ru. 1963-04-14. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- "431st Fighter Aviation Regiment PVO". Ww2.dk. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- "445th Fighter Aviation Regiment PVO". Ww2.dk. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- accessed April 2009
- "472nd Fighter Aviation Regiment PVO". Ww2.dk. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- "518th Fighter Aviation Regiment PVO". Ww2.dk. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- "849th Fighter Aviation Regiment PVO". Michael Holm. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- Michael Holm, 865th Fighter Aviation Regiment PVO, accessed December 2012.
- Piotr Butowski, Air Power Analysis: Russian Federation, Part 2, International Air Power Review, Vol. 13, Summer 2004, p.89
- "825th independent Helicopter Regiment". Ww2.dk. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- See Viktor Suvorov, Inside the Soviet Army, Hamish Hamilton, for a theoretical description of a PVO Corps during the late Soviet period
- Suvarov, Viktor (Unk). "Chapter 3, 'Combat Organisation: The Division,' Inside the Soviet Army". Hamish Hamilton, London.