Little Bollington shown within Cheshire
|OS grid reference|
|Civil parish||Little Bollington|
|Unitary authority||Cheshire East|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
Little Bollington is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. The Bridgewater Canal runs through the western side of the parish from south-west to north, and Dunham Park lies to the north east of the parish, across the county border in Greater Manchester.
At Fairy Brow in Little Bollington, there is evidence of Bronze Age activity. An archaeological dig by South Trafford Archaeological Group was carried out in 1983. The excavation uncovered an oval, Bronze Age burial pit. In the burial were cremated remains with a tanged knife, approximately 8 cm long; the remains were radio carbon dated to about 1500 BC, the knife was most likely contemporary. According to the Domesday survey in 1086, the manor of Little Bollington was held by the Saxon thegn Aelfward and later by the Norman Hamon de Mascy. The northern part of Little Bollington was in the medieval parish of Bowdon.
At the 2001 UK census, Little Bollington had a total population of 162. For every 100 females, there were 100 males. The average household size was 2.22. Of those aged 16–74 in Little Bollington, 48.0% had no academic qualifications or one GCSE, similar to the figures for all of the former Borough of Macclesfield (35.6%) and England (45.5%). According to the census, 0% were unemployed and 24.41% were economically inactive. 9.88% of the population were under the age of 16 and 11.73% were aged 75 and over; the mean age of the people of Little Bollington was 47.83. 64.81% of residents described their health as 'good'.
- Official 2001 Census Figures. Retrieval Date: 14 August 2007.
- Macclesfield Parish Officers Details. Macclesfield Borough Website. Retrieval Date: 14 August 2007.
- Pat Faulkner (2005). "Fairy Brow: Partial excavation of a bronze age barrow at Little Bollington". South Trafford Archaeological Group. Retrieved 2007-09-11.
- Nevell (1997), pp. 27-29.
- "Little Bollington civil parish work and qualifications". Statistics.gov.uk. Retrieved 2007-09-24.
- "Macclesfield borough qualifications". Statistics.gov.uk. Retrieved 2008-04-25.
- "Little Bollington civil parish census data". Statistics.gov.uk. Retrieved 2007-09-24.
Media related to Little Bollington at Wikimedia Commons