Mazda CX-5 2.0 Skyactiv-G AWD (Europe)
|Production||January 26, 2012—present|
|Designer||Norihito Iwao, Masashi Nakayama (2009)|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Compact crossover SUV|
|Body style||5-door SUV|
|Layout||Front engine, front-wheel drive / four-wheel drive|
|Platform||MAZDA SKYACTIV platform|
|Engine||2.0 L SKYACTIV-G (PE-VPS) I4
2.5 L SKYACTIV-G (PY-VPS) I4
2.2 L SKYACTIV-D (SH-VPTS) I4
|Wheelbase||2,700 mm (106.3 in)|
|Length||4,540 mm (178.7 in)|
|Width||1,840 mm (72.4 in)|
|Height||1,670 mm (65.7 in)|
|Curb weight||1,455–1,555 kg (3,208–3,428 lb)|
The Mazda CX-5  is a compact crossover SUV produced by Mazda starting in 2012 for the 2013 model year lineup. It is Mazda's first car featuring the new KODO - Soul of Motion Design language first shown in the Shinari concept vehicle in May 2010. It shares a platform with Mazda3 and Mazda6. It is also the first vehicle featuring the company's full Skyactiv Technology suite, featuring a rigid, lightweight platform, combined with a new series of efficient engines and transmissions resulting in reduced emissions and fuel consumption. The Skyactiv Engine and Transmission Technologies were released in the 2012 Mazda3 compact sedan and hatchback.
MINAGI Concept (2011)
Mazda MINAGI (マツダ 勢(MINAGI)) concept car is the first Mazda vehicle featuring Mazda's new 'KODO – Soul of Motion' design language and SKYACTIV technologies.
Japanese model was unveiled in 2011 Tokyo Motor Show, and a customized variant featuring red exterior body color with alloy wheels painted in matte-black and slightly lower body height later 2012 Tokyo Motor Salon Production models went on sale in 2012, with choice of SKYACTIV-D 2.2 or SKYACTIV-G 2.0 engines, SKYACTIV-DRIVE 6-speed automatic transmission.
- Engine and Drivetrain
The CX-5 is available with both front and all-wheel drive, powered by a 2.0 petrol four-cylinder engine (PE-VPS) sporting 162 bhp (121 kW; 164 PS)/155 lb·ft (210 N·m) averaging an estimated 28 mpg-imp (10 L/100 km; 23 mpg-US) emitting around 139 g/km. It will also be available with a 2.2 liter two-stage turbocharged diesel (SH-VPTS) with either 147 bhp (110 kW; 149 PS)/280 lb·ft (380 N·m) or 173 bhp (129 kW; 175 PS)/310 lb·ft (420 N·m), emitting an estimated 119 and 139 g/km, respectively. The EPA rated the CX-5's gas mileage as the best in its class, averaging 26mpg city and 35mpg highway, which Mazda claims is the best mileage of any non-hybrid SUV. Fuel consumption for the entry-level diesel engine with front wheel drive is 63 mpg-imp (4.5 L/100 km; 52 mpg-US).
As of September 2013 no plans were made to release diesel engine in US - per Mazda Corp Relations.
Japan production of Mazda CX-5 with SKYACTIV-D 2.2 diesel engine began at Ujina Plant near Mazda's headquarters in Hiroshima.
In 2012, Mazda CX-5 production at Ujina Plant was set to increase to 240,000 units per year by expanding production from Ujina Plant No.2 to also include Ujina Plant No.1.
The Japan domestic market CX-5 achieved monthly sales 8 times higher than forecast right after its launch in February 2012, with the "clean diesel" (as it is referred to in Japan) model accounting for 73% of these.
To promote the CX-5, Mazda teamed up with Universal Pictures for their strategic partnership in support for the launch of the movie, Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax, and Mazda launched a co-branded national Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax-themed commercial spot based around Mazda’s SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY.
The U.S. version of the CX-5 debuted at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The only engine available is a direct-injected, 2.0-liter four-cylinder Skyactiv-G gasoline engine with 155 bhp (116 kW; 157 PS), which is less than the 163 bhp (122 kW; 165 PS) first reported. However, it is rated at 26 mpg city and 32 mpg highway with automatic transmission and 26 mpg city and 35 mpg highway with manual transmission.
For the 2014 model year, an available 2.5-liter four-cylinder Skyactiv gas engine was introduced to address the main criticism of the CX-5. It is rated at 184HP/ 185-lb.ft with an EPA MPG rating of 25/32 (FWD), 24/30 (AWD). Only the 6-speed automatic transmission is available for this engine. This engine is standard on the Touring and Grand Touring trims. The 2.0 engine carries over in the base Sport model.
|Calendar Year||Total USA sales|
- "Mazda CX-5 Production Line 2011". Mazda Group Video. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "Mazda Group - Production Sites in Japan". mazda.com. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "2013 Mazda CX-5: production with SKYACTIV diesel engine begins". auto123.com. Retrieved 2012-01-27.
- "Mazda Joined Ranks of Cars Assembled in Russia".
- "Both Mazda CX-5 and CX-7 Will Be Built in China".
- "Mazda to Launch All-New Mazda CX-5 Crossover SUV". mazda.com. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "CX-5". MAZDA. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- MAZDA: Mazda Design, 2011
- Paris Preview: Mazda debuts new Kodo design language with Shinari Concept, 2010
- Vijayenthiran, Viknesh (December 15, 2011). "Mazda CX-5 Platform To Spawn Next-Gen Mazda6 And Mazda3". MotorAuthority. High Gear Media. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- "Skyactiv Technology". MAZDA. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- Geneva 2011: Handsome Mazda Minagi Concept previews production crossover
- マツダ、ジュネーブモーターショーにコンセプトカー『マツダ 勢（MINAGI）』を出品
- Mazda MINAGI Concept to Showcase Mazda's All-new SKYACTIV Technologies and KODO Design at the Geneva Motor Show
- Mazda Announces New Compact SUV Will be Mazda CX-5 - The first of Mazda's next-generation products to blend SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY with KODO design -
- "Road test: 2014 Mazda CX-5 GT By Nick Tragianis". Postmedia News. 2011-10-20. Retrieved May 23, 2013.
- Mazda TAKERI to Bow at 2011 Tokyo Motor Show - Mazda's next-generation midsize sedan concept to debut alongside new Mazda CX-5 SUV with full array of SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY -
- マツダ、東京モーターショーで新世代中型セダンのコンセプトモデル「マツダ 雄（TAKERI）」を初公開 －SKYACTIV技術を全面的に採用した新型SUV「マツダ CX-5」も出品－
- Mazda to Display Mazda CX-5 at Tokyo Auto Salon 2012 - Demio, Axela and Roadster-based customized models also to be exhibited -
- マツダ、東京オートサロン2012に「マツダ CX-5」を出品 －「デミオ」、「アクセラ」、「ロードスター」等をベースにした用品装着車も公開－
- Mazda to Launch All-New Mazda CX-5 Crossover SUV - Fully equipped with SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY, the clean diesel model achieves the best fuel economy among all SUVs -
- "Mazda Press Release: CX-5 Wins Car of the Year Japan". Mazda.
- Mazda CX-5 2.0 FWD Skyactiv-MT, 2011
- "EPA rates 2013 Mazda CX-5 fuel economy top in class". News.consumerreports.org. 2012-01-11. Retrieved 2012-05-29.
- Mazda CX-5 2.2d 4WD Auto review, September 2011
- 2012 Mazda CX-5 fuel economy revealed at Frankfurt Motor Show, September 14th 2011
- Mazda Commences Production of Mazda CX-5 with New Generation Super Clean SKYACTIV-D Diesel Engine
- Mazda to Increase Mazda CX-5 Production Capacity - Ujina Plant No.1 will also produce CX-5 from March 2013 -
- Integrity Exports (2012-04-11). "Mazda CX-5 "Clean Diesel" Reverses Diesel’s Decline in Japan By Stephen Munday". IntegrityExports.com.
- MAZDA: All-New Mazda CX-5 Crossover SUV World Premiere at 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show, 2011
- マツダ、新型クロスオーバーSUV「マツダ CX-5」をフランクフルトモーターショーで世界初公開 －独自の革新技術「SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY」と新デザインテーマ「魂動（こどう）－Soul of Motion」を全面採用する新世代商品群の第一弾－
- "2013 Mazda CX-5 Specs Released: 155 HP, Up to 33 MPG Highway, No Manual/AWD Combo".
- "2013 Mazda CX-5 First Drive Review". Blog.caranddriver.com. 2011-11-16. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- Sebastian Blanco (2012-11-29). "Ford Fusion wins 2013 Green Car Of The Year". Autoblog. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mazda CX-5.|
- Official CX-5 US website
- Official Mazda CX-5 Website (Japanese)
- Official Mazda CX-5 Website (United Kingdom)
- Mazda CX-5 now built in Malaysia
|Mazda automobile timeline, North American market, 1980s–present|
|Sports||MX-5 Miata||MX-5 Miata||MX-5 Miata|