Member of the Scottish Parliament
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014)|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Member of the Scottish Parliament (MSP) (Ball Pàrlamaid na h-Alba (BPA) in Gaelic, Memmer o the Scots Pairliament (MSP) in Scots) is the title given to any one of the 129 individuals elected to serve in the Scottish Parliament.
Methods of election
MSPs are elected in one of two ways:
- 73 are elected as First past the post constituency MSPs and;
- 56 are elected as Regional additional member MSPs. seven from each of eight regional groups of constituencies. This additional member system produces a form of proportional representation for each region.
Types of candidates
With the additional members system, there are 3 ways in which a person can stand to be a MSP:
- a constituency candidate
- a candidate named on a party list at the regional election
- an individual candidate at the regional election
All MSP positions become simultaneously vacant for elections held on a four-year cycle. If a vacancy arises at another time, due to death or resignation, then it may be filled in one of two ways, depending of whether the vacancy is for a first-past-the-post constituency MSP or for an additional-member MSP.
A constituency vacancy may be filled by a by-election. An additional-member vacancy may be filled by the next available candidate on the relevant party list. In the event there is no next available person on the list the vacancy is not filled, as in the case of Margo MacDonald.
An MSP is known as Name MSP (Name BPA in Gaelic). For instance, Alex Salmond can be entitled either Alex Salmond MSP or Ailig Salmond BPA.
- Commissioner (Scottish Parliament) for the historic representatives of the pre-1707 Estates of Parliament
- Members elected to the 1st Scottish Parliament
- Members elected to the 2nd Scottish Parliament
- Members elected to the 3rd Scottish Parliament
- Members elected to the 4th Scottish Parliament
- Scottish Parliament constituencies and regions
- MSPs' Salaries, Expenses and Allowances
- Member of the Legislative Assembly (Northern Ireland)
- Member of the National Assembly for Wales