Miami Township, Hamilton County, Ohio
|Miami Township, Hamilton County, Ohio|
|— Township —|
|• Total||23.8 sq mi (61.6 km2)|
|• Land||22.7 sq mi (58.8 km2)|
|• Water||1.1 sq mi (2.8 km2)|
|Elevation||778 ft (237 m)|
|• Density||660/sq mi ( 260/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086220|
Miami Township is one of the twelve townships of Hamilton County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 15,757 people in the township, 10,728 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern corner of the county along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships:
- Whitewater Township - north
- Colerain Township - northeast
- Green Township - east
- Delhi Township - southeast
- Boone County, Kentucky - south, across the Ohio River.
- Lawrenceburg Township, Dearborn County, Indiana - southwest
Three municipalities are located in Miami Township:
- The village of Addyston, in the southeast, along the Ohio River between Cincinnati and North Bend
- The village of North Bend, in the south, along the Ohio River below Addyston
- The village of Cleves, in the center
The city of Cincinnati, the county seat of Hamilton County, has annexed parts of the township along the Ohio River, in the southeast, and above Addyston. These areas no longer lie within the township.
Name and history
The township was named for its location at the point where the Great Miami River flows into the Ohio River.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Miami township, Hamilton County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- Hamilton County Decision Support Manual, Volume 2: Comparisons of Property Tax Rates and Assessed Valuation (PDF). Hamilton County Regional Planning Commission. December 1997. p. 8.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.