Movement for Social Democracy
|Movement for Social Democracy EDEK
Κίνημα Σοσιαλδημοκρατών ΕΔΕΚ
|International affiliation||Socialist International|
|European affiliation||Party of European Socialists|
|European Parliament group||Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats|
|House of Representatives|
The Movement for Social Democracy EDEK (Greek: Κίνημα Σοσιαλδημοκρατών ΕΔΕΚ — Kinima Sosialdimokraton EDEK) is a Social Democratic party in Cyprus. It was originally founded by Dr Vasos Lyssaridis in 1969 as the United Democratic Union of Centre, EDEK (Greek: Ενιαία Δημοκρατική Ένωση Κέντρου, ΕΔΕΚ) and it was a socialist party. It has gradually evolved into a social-democratic political party. It is currently led by Yiannakis Omirou.
In the 2001 general elections it won 6.5% of the votes case and 4 of the 56 seats in the House of Representatives of Cyprus. In the elections of 21 May 2006, the party won 8.9% and 5 out of 56 seats. It is a member of the Party of European Socialists.
Members were drawn from the committee for re-establishment of democracy in Greece, and fighters from Lyssaridis's group during the 1964 clashes between Greek and Turkish Cypriots. The party supported president Makarios III and a lot of its members were part of the armed resistance to the 15 July 1974 coup against him. The leader of the youth section of the party, Doros Loizou, was shot and killed in an attempt to murder Lyssaridis himself in August 1974.
Several members of the party's youth section (EDEN) with Trotskyist tendencies were expelled between 1979 and 1984 and formed Aristeri Pteryga (Left Wing).
EDEK backed Dimitris Christofias of AKEL in the second round of the February 2008 presidential election. On the proposal of EDEK's Political Bureau, 109 members of its Central Committee voted in favor of supporting Christofias, five voted against, and two abstained. In February 2010 EDEK quit from the government coalition due to its dispute concerning the decisions of Dimitris Christofias in the Cyprus Problem.
Presidents of the Movement
Current Members of Parliament
- Yiannakis Omirou, President of the House of Representatives, Nicosia Constituency
- Roula Mavronicola, Nicosia Constituency
- Nicos Nicolaides, Limassol Constituency
- Fidias Sarikas, Pafos Constituency
- George Varnava, Famagusta Constituency
- "Cyprus Socialists supports Christofia’s candidacy", Financial Mirror, February 21, 2008.
- Nikos Chasapopoulos (2010-02-09). "Τριγμοί στην κυβέρνηση Χριστόφια - Αποχώρησε η ΕΔΕΚ" (in Greek). To Vima. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- "EDEK withdraws from Cyprus government coalition". FinancialMirror. 2010-02-09. Retrieved 2010-08-03.