|Single by Alexandra Stan|
|from the album Saxobeats|
|Released||January 28, 2011|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Recorded||2010; Maan Studio
|Label||Maan Music, Columbia|
|Writer(s)||Andrei Nemirschi, Marcel Prodan|
|Producer(s)||Marcel Prodan, Andrei Nemirschi|
|Alexandra Stan singles chronology|
"Mr. Saxobeat" is a song by Romanian recording artist Alexandra Stan from her debut album, Saxobeats (2011). "Mr. Saxobeat" is an up-tempo Eurodance song with house elements. The song contains a love message, where Stan speaks of a man she is attracted to, and the way he makes her move. It was written by Andrei Nemirschi and Marcel Prodan, a Romanian production duo, and produced by the latter one at the Maan Studios in Romania. It was firstly released under Maan Music Label and then internationally under Columbia Records.
It shortly became a global hit. It spent eight consecutive weeks at number one in Romania before expanding to Spain, France and Belgium, becoming a top five in most countries across Europe, including making it to number-one in at least ten charts. It has then entered the top thirty of the Canadian Hot 100 and ultimately on the Billboard Hot 100. Following this, it entered the top five in New Zealand and the top twenty in Australia.
An accompanying music video was shot in MediaPro Studios, Buftea in order to promote the song. It shows Stan being arrested, thrown in jail, and seducing a guard to escape. The song was also the first million-selling single in Romania.
- 1 Background
- 2 Composition
- 3 Chart performance
- 4 Music video
- 5 In popular culture
- 6 Track listings
- 7 Charts
- 8 Certifications
- 9 Release history
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
By midsummer 2010, Stan recorded three songs during a recording session at the Maan Studios in Bucharest, Romania. One of the songs to be recorded was "Mr. Saxobeat". It debuted in late-summer and it has then became a huge hit in Romania. After the native success, Stan decided to sign a record contract with various international record labels, including Columbia Records. "Mr. Saxobeat" was strongly promoted in Belgium, France and Spain. After the extraordinary success of the song in Europe, Stan released the song in the United Kingdom too. It was then released in North America, Latin America and finally in Australia.
"Mr. Saxobeat" is an up-tempo Eurodance song with strong elements of house and hi-NRG and some trance beats. The song also features a saxophone riff in the refrain. It was produced by Romanian record producers Marcel Prodan and Andrei Nemirschi, and was recorded during summer 2010 at the Maan Studios. The song is set to the key of B minor, with a chord progression of Bm–Em–F#m. Stan's voice spans three octaves.
Lyrically, the song is about Alexandra trying to attract a man, who she is in love with. She speaks of him making her dance and "move like a freak". It is structured in a 4 bar verse repeated four times throughout, along with an epilogue. She stated: "I consider saxophone a very hot and sexy instrument which is also very used in my region". Stan stayied that "Mr. Saxobeat" is only her vision on the perfect man" in her live acoustic show on the German thelvision ARD.
The song was a massive success in Stan's home country, Romania. There, "Mr. Saxobeat" reached No.1 of the official Airplay chart (Romanian Top 100), where it settled for eight consecutive weeks. It became the longest running number-one in Romania in the 2010s. In Spain it debuted at number 47 in the singles chart, and then peaked at number 3 on May 22. After eleven weeks within the top 10, the song achieved the PROMUSICAE Gold certification for sales of more than 20,000 units. In France, the song debuted and peaked at number 6 on the Digital Chart, before dropping off the next week. With the appearance of a new chart, the French Top Singles & Titres Chart, the song debuted at number 10 in its first week and defended its position another two weeks, before peaking at number 6. In the Sales-Only Chart, "Saxobeat" peaked at No. 5.
The song also peaked on the Czech Airplay Chart at number 2, in the Slovak Airplay Chart at number 1 for over five weeks, in the Greek IFPI Chart at number 6 and in the Finnish Singles Chart at number 20 in its opening week in the top. Then it has reached the second position as well as in the rest of the Nordic countries: Norway and Sweden. In Belgium, the song peaked at number 2 on the Ultratop chart. In the Netherlands, it entered the Dutch Top 40 and spent numerous weeks at number 2. It peaked at number 1 in the Swiss Singles Chart, in Germany, Austria, Italy and Denmark. It was also a hit in both Ireland and the United Kingdom, where "Mr. Saxobeat" became Stan's first British hit single, climbing up the UK Singles Chart during April 2011 after debuting at number 81 before peaking at number 3 in June 2011. It peaked at number 6 on the Irish Singles Chart.
Outside Europe, "Mr. Saxobeat" charted on the Canadian Hot 100 debuting at number seventy-two. The next week, the song dropped to ninety-five, but then climbed fifty-four positions to number forty-one, becoming that week's greatest gainer, before moving to thirty-seven the following week. It defended the position for the next week. "Mr. Saxobeat" peaked at number twenty-five, its lowest peak position worldwide. Nevertheless, the song spent twenty weeks within the Hot 100 and became the biggest-selling single of 2011 not to enter the top twenty. It was certified Platinum by Music Canada.
In the United States, the song was digitally released in April 2011, having sold over 200,000 units by June 2011. On July 21, the song debuted on the US Billboard Hot 100 at number ninety-two and continued rising every single week until peaking at number twenty-one, just under the top twenty. It has mas managed to chart on the Hot 100 Airplay (Radio Songs), where it debuted at number eighty-two and found a peak inside the top twenty, at number-nineteen. It managed to register 62 million impressions during a singular week. Inside the Pop Songs Top 40, it peaked at number nineteen as well. It became the third Romanian song to enter the top ten of the Dance/Mix Show Airplay (after Inna's "Hot" and Edward Maya and Vika Jigulina's "Stereo Love"), peaking at number-one, such as the other two acts, for seven weeks in two runs, becoming the longest run atop that chart in 2011, and also the lengthiest number-one and since 2009. It reached number-eleven on both Latin Pop Airplay and Hot Latin Tracks,and debuted at number thirty-nine inside the Hot Dance Club Songs and moved a few positions towards the top thirty in the following weeks. The song was sold in over 1,679,800 copies in the United States alone and it was certified Platinum by the RIAA. On the Brasil Hot 100 Airplay chart, it peaked at number eight.
In Australia, Alexandra's song first charted inside the Dance Chart, where it managed to enter the top ten, peaking at number 6. A week after entering the Dance Chart, it charted in the Singles Chart as well, debuting at 32. It then fell off the chart only to re-enter the following week at number 32. After bounding back and forth on the chart, it managed to peak at number 19, thus giving Stan a top-twenty hit in Australia. It was later certified Platinum by the Australian Recording Industry Association. The song debuted at number 36 in New Zealand on August 1, 2011 and continued rising upon the charts until peaking within the top ten, at number 4. Stan became the first Eastern European act to have a top-five single in New Zealand ever. "Mr. Saxobeat" was finally certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of New Zealand.
In Asia the song was a number 1 on the Israeli Airplay Chart, and a top ten in the Lebanese Singles Chart and the Indian Digital Chart. In early 2012, the song entered the Japan Hot 100 straight at number 9.
A music video for "Mr. Saxobeat" was filmed in the MediaPro Studios during October 2010. The official making-of the video premiered in early November on 1Music Channel. The music video for the song was commercially released on November 15, 2010. It features Stan being arrested, interviewed by the police, put in jail and then escaping from the station.
The video begins with scenes of police officers bringing a handcuffed Stan into a room of a police station to interrogate her along with two of her friends. When she and her friends refuse to give the police any information, they lock them in a jail cell. Stan coaxes and successfully seduces the guard, while her friends steal his police equipment, before locking him inside the cell while she and her friends escape. The group enters a dressing room where they find police outfits and disguise themselves as officers. They locate the chief's office and hold the police chief and other workers at gun point while duct-taping their mouths and hands to the chief's desk. Stan and her friends exit the office and walk inconspicuously through the front lobby and out of the building.
In popular culture
The song was featured on the sixth episode of the first season of the American sitcom Suburgatory titled "Charity Case", and in the background of the last episode of the final season of CSI: Miami, titled "Habeas Corpse".
The song was featured heavily in episode four of Channel 4 comedy show Cardinal Burns, when characters Jonesy and Metcalfe visit London.
Omega "El Fuerte" released a cover version in 2011. Selena Gomez & The Scene covered the song on their We Own the Night Tour in Latin America, and Russian singer Lena Katina recorded a jazz fusion version of the song.
|Austria (IFPI Austria)||Platinum||30,000x|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Platinum||80,000^|
|Denmark (IFPI Denmark)||Platinum||30,000^|
|Germany (BVMI)||3× Gold||450,000^|
|Italy (FIMI)||4× Platinum||120,000*|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||Gold||7,500*|
|Sweden (GLF)||4× Platinum||160,000x|
|Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)||2× Platinum||60,000x|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||498,000|
|Denmark (IFPI Denmark)||Gold||50,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|Sweden||January 28, 2011||Digital download||ARS Records|
|France||February 14, 2011||CD single||ARS Records|
|United States||February 15, 2011||Digital download||Ultra Records|
|Denmark||February 18, 2011||Digital download||Sony Music|
|United Kingdom||April 21, 2011||Digital download||3 Beat, AATW|
|Germany||May 6, 2011||CD single, digital download||Sony Music|
|July 8, 2011||CD maxi single|
|Italy||June 28, 2011||CD single||Ego Music|
|Australia||July 1, 2011||Digital download||Central Station Records|
- List of number-one hits of 2011 (Austria)
- List of number-one singles from the 2010s (Denmark)
- List of top 10 singles in 2011 (France)
- List of number-one hits of 2011 (Germany)
- List of number-one singles of 2011 (Hungary)
- List of number-one hits of 2011 (Italy)
- List of number-one singles of 2010s in Romania
- List of Romanian Top 100 top 10 singles in 2010
- List of Romanian Top 100 top 10 singles in 2011
- List of number-one hits of 2011 (Switzerland)
- List of top 10 singles in 2011 (UK)
- List of UK Dance Chart number-one singles of 2011
- List of number-one dance airplay hits of 2011 (U.S.)
- ultratop.be - Alexandra Stan - Mr. Saxobeat
- SAXOBEATS – albumul de debut al Alexandrei Stan
- ChartArchive - Alexandra Stan - Mr Saxobeat
- "MR.SAXOBEAT – THE MUSIC VIDEO". Maan. November 15, 2010. Retrieved January 17, 2011.
- "Music Lounge - Suburgatory". ABC.com. January 15, 2013. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- Omega "El Fuerte" - Mr Saxo Beat 2011 on YouTube
- Mr. Saxobeat - Single by Alexandra Stan - Download Mr. Saxobeat - Single on iTunes
- Alexandra Stan - Mr. Saxobeat (CD) at Discogs
- iTunes - Music - Mr Saxobeat (Remixes) - EP by Alexandra Stan
- Self distribuzione /
- Mr. Saxobeat: Alexandra Stan: Amazon.de: MP3-Downloads
- "Alexandra Stan - Mr. Saxobeat - Sony Music Entertainment Germany GmbH". Sony Music Entertainment Germany GmbH.
- "Australian-charts.com – Alexandra Stan – Mr. Saxobeat". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Australian Dance Chart" (PDF). ARIA Charts. Pandora. Retrieved 26 September 2011.
- "Austriancharts.at – Alexandra Stan – Mr. Saxobeat" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 2011-05-27.
- "Ultratop.be – Alexandra Stan – Mr. Saxobeat" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Alexandra Stan – Mr. Saxobeat" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 2011-03-24.
- "Brasil Hot 100 Airplay". Billboard Brasil (Brasil: bpp) (2): 96. May 2011.
- "Brasil Hot Pop & Popular Songs". Billboard Brasil (Brasil: bpp) (2): 97. May 2011.
- "Alexandra Stan Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Alexandra Stan. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201115 into search. Retrieved May 17, 2011.
- "Danishcharts.com – Alexandra Stan – Mr. Saxobeat". Tracklisten. Retrieved May 8, 2011.
- "Alexandra Stan: Mr. Saxobeat" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved April 17, 2011.
- "Lescharts.com – Alexandra Stan – Mr. Saxobeat" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved February 19, 2011.
- 20-27/3: "Top 100 Airplay Chart". IFPI Greece. 2011-03-28. Retrieved 2011-04-02.
- "Officialcharts.de – Alexandra Stan – Mr. Saxobeat". GfK Entertainment.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Dance Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Single (track) Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Chart Track: Week 24, 2011". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Media Forest: Airplay chart". mediaforest.biz. 2011-07-16.
- "Italiancharts.com – Alexandra Stan – Mr. Saxobeat". Top Digital Download. Retrieved April 28, 2011.
- "Alexandra Stan Album & Song Chart History" Japan Hot 100 for Alexandra Stan. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Alexandra Stan – Chart history".
- "Luxembourg Digital Songs - July 30, 2011". Billboard. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Alexandra Stan search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- "Charts.org.nz – Alexandra Stan – Mr. Saxobeat". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved August 22, 2011.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Alexandra Stan – Mr. Saxobeat". VG-lista. Retrieved 2011-05-27.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Dance Top 50. Retrieved 2011-05-27.
- "Top 5 video". Polish Video Chart (in Polish). ZPAV. Retrieved 2011-11-27.
- "Romanian Top 100". proagency. January 17, 2011. Retrieved January 17, 2011.
- Российские музыкальные чарты. недели 15 и 16 - 2011 (in Russian). Lenta.ru. 6 July 2012. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-06-11". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201114 into search. Retrieved September 24, 2011.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Alexandra Stan – Mr. Saxobeat" Canciones Top 50. Retrieved May 25, 2011.
- "Promusicae (Week: January 1, 2011)" (PDF). Retrieved July 13, 2011.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Alexandra Stan – Mr. Saxobeat". Singles Top 60. Retrieved 2 May 2011.
- "Swisscharts.com – Alexandra Stan – Mr. Saxobeat". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- "Digital Singles Charts - Turkey". Number One Top 20. Archived from the original on 2 May 2012. Retrieved 2 May 2012.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-06-11" UK Dance Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-06-11" UK Singles Chart.
- "Alexandra Stan Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Alexandra Stan.
- "Alexandra Stan Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs for Alexandra Stan.
- "Alexandra Stan Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Latin Songs for Alexandra Stan.
- "Alexandra Stan Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Alexandra Stan.
- "Alexandra Stan Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Rhythmic Songs for Alexandra Stan.
- "Alexandra Stan Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Tropical Airplay for Alexandra Stan.
- Romanian Top 100 - Year End Chart
- "ARIA Charts – End Of Year Charts – Top 100 Singles 2011". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved December 31, 2011.
- Jahreshitparade 2011 - austriancharts.at
- "JAAROVERZICHTEN 2011" (in Dutch). Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "RAPPORTS ANNUELS 2011". Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "Canadian Hot 100 (2011 Year-End-Chart)".
- "Album-Top 100". Hitlisten. IFPI Danmark& Nielsen Music Control. Archived from the original on 2012-01-23.
- 2011 MTV EMA - News - MTV.de
- Kanellopoulos, Dimitris (5 January 2012). "ΤΟP 100 RADIO AIRPLAY ΓΙΑ ΤΟ 2011" (in Greek). E-tetradio.gr. Retrieved 8 January 2012.
- "MAHASZ Rádiós TOP 100 2011" (in Hungarian). Mahasz. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- FIMI - Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana - Benvenuto!
- "Japan Hot 100: 2012 Year-End Chart". Billboard.
- "The Black Eyed Peas, favorita". Retrieved January 19, 2012.
- "Dutch charts portal: Jaaroverzichten – Single 2011". dutchcharts.nl (in Dutch). Hung Medien / hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2011-12-26.
- ""Loca People" - Hit of the Year 2011 in Poland!". ZPAV. Dj Promotion. 2011. Retrieved 2012-01-07.
- "ROMANIAN TOP 100 – clasamentul anului 2011". Retrieved 2012-01-01.
- Schweizer Jahreshitparade 2011 - hitparade.ch
- "The Top 40 Biggest Selling Singles of the Year". BBC. 2011-12-31.
- "Best of 2011: Top Latin songs". Billboard. Billboard. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- "Best of 2011:Latin Pop Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- Chart beat
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2011 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Austrian single certifications – Alexandra Stan – Mr Saxobeat" (in German). IFPI Austria. Enter Alexandra Stan in the field Interpret. Enter Mr Saxobeat in the field Titel. Select single in the field Format. Click Suchen
- "Ultratop − Goud en Platina – 2011". Ultratop & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- "Canadian single certifications – Alexandra Stan – Mr. Saxobeat". Music Canada.
- "Certificeringer - Alexandra Stan - Mr. Saxobeat" (in Danish). IFPI Denmark. Retrieved October 1, 2011.
- The first web page presents the sales figures, the second presents the certification limits:
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Alexandra Stan; 'Mr. Saxobeat')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Italian single certifications – Alexandra Stan – Mr. Saxobeat" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Select Online in the field Sezione. Enter Alexandra Stan in the field Filtra. The certification will load automatically
- "Single Certification List - November 2014" (in Japanese). Recording Industry Association of Japan. Retrieved December 20, 2014.
- "New Zealand single certifications – Alexandra Stan – Mr. Saxobeat". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand.
- "Top 50 Canciones - Semana 21: del 23.05.2011 al 29.05.2011" (PDF) (in Spanish). PROMUSICAE. Retrieved January 5, 2012.
- "Alexandra Stan - Mr. Saxobeat" (in Swedish). Grammofon Leverantörernas Förening. Retrieved March 5, 2012.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Alexandra Stan; 'Mr. Saxobeat')". Hung Medien.
- "British single certifications – Alexandra Stan – Mr. Saxobeat". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Mr. Saxobeat in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Select Gold in the field By Award. Click Search
- "Sales data of UK singles and albums as of 18th December". Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- "Certification - Alexandra Stan - Mr. Saxobeat" (in Danish). IFPI Denmark. Retrieved October 24, 2011.
- iTunes - Musica - Mr. Saxobeat - Single di Alexandra Stan
- "Mr. Saxobeat – Single". iTunes Store. Apple, Inc. February 15, 2011. Retrieved February 15, 2011.
- iTunes - Music - Mr. Saxobeat - Single by Alexandra Stan
- iTunes - Music - Mr. Saxobeat - Single by Alexandra Stan