Singleton Park Gatehouse
Singleton shown within Lancashire
|Population||877 (2001 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
Singleton is a village and civil parish in Lancashire, England. It is situated on the coastal plain called The Fylde. It is located south-east of Poulton-le-Fylde, and as of the 2001 census had a population of 877. The parish is sometimes referred to as two parts – Great Singleton is the larger part containing the village, and Little Singleton is a small area north of the village bordering the River Wyre.
At the time of the Roman conquest of Britain in the 1st century AD, the area around Singleton was inhabited by a Celtic tribe called the Setantii. The village was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Singletun.
In 2011, drilling equipment was installed at Grange Hill, east of the village, to test for shale gas in the Bowland shale formation around 3 km below the surface. In 2013 Cuadrilla and Centrica made plans for hydraulic fracturing, commonly known as fracking, at the site.
Singleton is combined with Greenhalgh-with-Thistleton to form the ward of Singleton and Greenhalgh, which elects one councillor. As of 2008[update] it is represented by Maxine Chew, an independent councillor. Singleton also has a parish council.
The village is represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom as part of Fylde. It elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election. Since the 2010 general election, Fylde has been represented at Parliament by Conservative MP Mark Menzies. The village is also part of the North West England constituency of the European Parliament.
- Office for National Statistics : Census 2001 : Parish Headcounts : Fylde Retrieved 9 February 2010
- Farrer & Brownbill (1912), pp. 183–188
- Hartwell & Pevsner (2009), p. 613
- "Church Of St Anne, Church Road", Heritage Gateway (English heritage), retrieved 30 October 2010
- Storey (2001), p. 9
- Harvey, Fiona (24 September 2011). "Energy firm Cuadrilla discovers huge gas reserves under Lancashire". The Guardian. Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- Gosden, Emily (5 July 2013). "Cuadrilla and Centrica unveil two-year fracking programme". The Telegraph. Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "Singleton and Greenhalgh". Fylde Borough Council. Retrieved 2008-12-31.[dead link]
- Farrer, William; Brownbill, J., eds. (1912), "Townships — Singleton", A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 7 (Constable), OCLC 59626695
- Hartwell, Clare; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2009) , Lancashire: North, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, ISBN 0-300-12667-0
- Storey, Christine (2001), Poulton-le-Fylde, Stroud: Tempus Publishing, ISBN 0-7524-2442-4
- Media related to Singleton, Lancashire at Wikimedia Commons