Sony Xperia Z1
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013)|
Sony Xperia Z1
|Manufacturer||Sony Mobile Communications|
|Slogan||The best of Sony for the best of you|
|First released||15 September 2013|
|Availability by country||
15 September 2013(China, L39t variant)
20 September 2013(UK)
30 September 2013(Finland)
4 October 2013(Asia)
15 October 2013(Canada)
23 October 2013au by KDDI)(Japan, SOL23 variant exclusively for
24 October 2013NTT DoCoMo)13 January 2014 (Japan, SO-01F variant exclusively for (USA, Z1s variant exclusively for T-Mobile US)
|Predecessor||Sony Xperia Z|
|Successor||Sony Xperia Z2|
|Related||Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
Sony Xperia ZL
Sony Xperia ZR
Sony Xperia Z Ultra
Sony Xperia Z1 SOL23 (Japan)
Sony Xperia Z1 SO-01F (Japan)
Sony Xperia Z1 f (Japan)
|Dimensions||144 mm (5.7 in) H
74 mm (2.9 in) W
8.5 mm (0.33 in) D
|Weight||170 g (6.0 oz)|
|Operating system||Android 4.4 Kit Kat (planned upgrade)|
|Root access||Can be rooted as of now|
|System on chip||Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8974 800|
|CPU||2.2 GHz quad-core Krait (2.2 GHz Qualcomm MSM8974 Quad Core)|
|Memory||2 GB RAM|
|Storage||16 GB (32 GB for L39t, SOL23, SO-01F and Z1s variants)|
|Removable storage||up to 64 GB microSD/HC|
|Data inputs||Multi-touch, capacitive touchscreen, proximity sensor|
|Display||5 in (130 mm) diagonal MVA TFT
1920x1080 px (441 ppi)
|Rear camera||1080p video recording @ 30 frames/s 8x digital zoom|
|Front camera||2.2 MP (1080p video recording)|
|Other||Available in black, purple and white
IP55 / IP58 (Dust protected, Water jet protected & Waterproof)
The Sony Xperia Z1 is a high-end Android smartphone produced by Sony. The Z1, at that point known by the project code name "Honami", was unveiled during a press conference in IFA 2013 on 4 September 2013. The phone was released in China on 15 September 2013, in the UK on 20 September 2013, and entered more markets in October 2013. On 13 January 2014, the Sony Xperia Z1s, a modified version of the Sony Xperia Z1 exclusive to T-Mobile US, was released in the United States.
Like its predecessor, the Sony Xperia Z, the Xperia Z1 is waterproof and dustproof, and has an IP rating of IP55 and IP58. The key highlight of the Z1 is the 20.7 megapixel camera, paired with Sony's in-house G lens and its image processing algorithm called BIONZ. The phone also comes with Sony's new camera user interface, dedicated shutter button and has an aluminium and glass unibody design.
The Sony Xperia Z1's design is "Omni-Balance", according to Sony, which is focused on creating balance and symmetry in all directions. Xperia Z1 has subtly rounded edges and smooth, reflective surfaces on all sides, which are held together by a skeleton frame made from aluminium. The phone features tempered glass covered by shatterproof film on front and back. The aluminium power button is placed on the right side of the device. The location is said to make operation easier. The metallic look and positioning of the power button is inspired by luxury watch crown design. The phone is available in three colours: black, white, and purple. The Xperia Z1 is thicker (8.5mm) and heavier (169g) and has thicker screen bezels than the Xperia Z, even though the two phones share the same screen size. Sony said that the frame had to be enlarged due to the larger than average camera sensor. The phone is certified waterproof to 1.5 m for up to 30 minutes. The Z1 is dust resistant with an IP rating of 55 and 58. Unlike the Xperia Z, the Xperia Z1 doesn't have a flap covering its headphone jack, but maintains its waterproofing, a move welcomed by many due to the waterproofing warranty on the Sony Xperia Z being reliant on all ports being sealed. Additional less oblivious connectivity includes support for USB OTG allowing for the connection of external USB devices as well as support for MHL output connection. The Xperia Z1 comes with 2GB of RAM and Qualcomm's latest quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor clocked at 2.2Ghz. It also contains a 5.0 inch Sony Triluminos and its X-Reality Engine for better image and video viewing. The Sony Xperia Z1 has a 3000mAh battery.
The Xperia Z1 runs Android 4.2 with Sony's custom launcher on top. Some notable additions to the software include Sony's Media applications – Walkman, Album and Videos. NFC is also a core feature of the device, allowing 'one touch' to mirror what is on the smartphone to compatible TVs or play music on a NFC wireless speaker. Additionally, the device includes a battery stamina mode which increases the phone's standby time up to 4 times. Several Google applications (such as Google Chrome, Google Play, Google search (with voice), Google Maps and Google Talk) already come preloaded. Sony also radically changed its camera user-interface; it added new features, such as TimeShift and AR effects.Sony announced android 4.3 Jelly bean update for Z1 with some added features like Sony’s entire native app portfolio to latest versions and app drawer tweaks are some of them.
As of firmware update .290 the bootloader can officially be unlocked without losing camera functionality.
On the 28th of January 2014 Sony began the roll out of firmware update .136, in addition to bug fixes Sony included the White Balance feature which allows the user to customize the white balance of their display.
On 7 November 2013, Sony Mobile announced via their blog that the Xperia Z1 would receive the Android 4.3 update in December. It also announced that the Android 4.4 update will eventually be released for the Xperia Z1.
With a focus on camera, Xperia Z1 also introduces many new camera apps.
- Social live, developed in cooperation with Bambuser, allows users to broadcast their video live via Facebook and gets comments from their friends in real time.
- Info-eye instantly gives informations about the objects captured by Xperia Z1's camera.
- Timeshift-burst captures 61 frames within 2 seconds, starting before the shutter button is pressed, allowing users to select the best picture. But shooting in 1080p resolution.
- AR Effect switches camera to AR Effect mode and adds some fun animations to pictures.
|Model||FCC id||Carriers/regions||GSM bands||UMTS bands||LTE bands||Notes|
|C6906||PY7PM-0460||North America||Quad||Penta||1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 17|||
|C6916 (Z1s)||PY7PM-0590||T-Mobile US||Quad||Penta||4, 17|||
|C6903||PY7PM-0450||Worldwide||Quad||Penta||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20|||
|C6943||PY7PM-0650||Brazil||Quad||Penta||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20||This model is identical to C6903 but also supports ISDB-T in Brazil|
|SOL23||PY7PM-0470||au by KDDI||Quad||1, 2, 4, 5||1, 3, 11, 18|||
|SO-01F||PY7PM-0440||NTT DoCoMo||Quad||1, 5, 6, 19||1, 3, 19, 21|||
|L39t||China||Quad||domestic TD-SCDMA: 34, 39
roaming only UMTS: 1, 2, 5
|domestic: 38, 39, 40, 41
roaming only: 3, 7
All variants support four 2G GSM bands 850/900/1800/1900 and five 3G UMTS band 850/900/1700/1900/2100 (except SO-01F model).
A cnet.co.uk review liked the sleek, waterproof design, powerful core and sharp, bright screen. A Wired review by Dave Oliver thought the phone felt heavy but liked the screen, sharp image and covered expansion slot covers.
- Chris Griffith (8 October 2013). "No wonder Sony Xperia Z1 has been showered with praise". The Australian (News Limited). Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "Sony Xperia Z1 USB hosting demo". Clove. Ocotber 16, 2013. Retrieved March 01, 2014.
- "Sony Xperia Z1 USB Hosting/OTG Demo (Clove)". Clove Technology - YouTube. September 24, 2013. Retrieved March 01, 2014.
- "Sony Xperia Z1 review: a high-spec cameraphone without the hump". Engadget. September 24, 2014. Retrieved March 01, 2014.
- On Jelly Bean 4.3 & Kit Kat 4.4
- Sony Xperia Z1 Features: Camera Apps
- "Sony Xperia™ Z1 HSPA+ white paper". 2013-09-13. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
- "Sony Xperia™ Z1 LTE C6906 white paper". 2013-09-13. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
- "Sony Xperia™ Z1s LTE white paper". 2014-01-07. Retrieved 2014-01-13.
- "Sony Xperia™ Z1 LTE C6903 white paper". 2013-09-13. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
- Model Variant Attestation, FCC
- "Detailed Technical Datasheet of Sony Xperia Z1 LTE SOL23 (Sony Honami Anna)". 2013-09-18. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "クアッドバンドLTE対応のKDDI版Sony Xperia Honami SOL23がFCC通過". 2013-08-14. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- Operational Scope, FCC
- "Sony Xperia™ Z1 L39t white paper". 2013-12-17. Retrieved 2014-01-13.
- Andrew Hoyle (20 September 2013). "Sony Xperia Z1 review". cnet.co.uk (CBS Interactive Limited). Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- Dave Oliver (19 September 2013). "Sony Xperia Z1 review". wired.co.uk. Condé Nast UK. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- Official website
- "Xperia™ Z1 - all the power and smartness from Sony in a premium smartphone" on YouTube
Sony Xperia Z
|Sony Xperia Z1
Sony Xperia Z2