South Tenth Street Bridge
|South Tenth Street Bridge|
|Official name||Philip Murray Bridge|
|Carries||4 lanes of roadway|
|Total length||1,275 feet|
|Longest span||725 feet|
|Clearance below||50.3 feet|
South Tenth Street Bridge, most often called the Tenth Street Bridge, but officially dubbed the Philip Murray Bridge, is a suspension bridge spanning the Monongahela River in Downtown Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The bridge was renamed on Labor Day 2007 for Philip Murray, the first president of the United Steelworkers of America and a giant of the 20th-century American labor movement.
The bridge connects South Tenth Street on the South Side to Second Avenue and the Armstrong Tunnel under the Bluff. A staircase leads from the northern terminus of the bridge up to the campus of Duquesne University on the Bluff.
In popular culture
- The bridge is featured in the game Fallout 3's second add-on package, The Pitt, which takes place in a post-apocalyptic Pittsburgh. The bridge is covered in land mines and vehicles, and must be crossed to enter the main city.
- The bridge was used in the filming of Jack Reacher and can be seen in the movie's chase scene
- On June 12, 2006 Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was thrown from his motorcycle, struck by a car that was making a Pittsburgh Left at the bridge's north portal.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Tenth Street Bridge.|
- South Tenth Street Bridge at Structurae
- entry at pghbridges.com
- entry at BridgeMeister.com
- Nate Guidry (2007). Philip Murray Bridge Dedication: story by Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved September 4, 2007.
- United Steelworkers. "Steelworkers, Western Pennsylvania Union Members to Dedicate Philip Murray Bridge following Pittsburgh Labor Day Parade". Retrieved 2007-09-03.
|This article about a specific bridge in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in Pennsylvania is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Pittsburgh-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|