The Decline of the American Empire
|The Decline of the American Empire|
French-language film poster
|Directed by||Denys Arcand|
|Written by||Denys Arcand|
The Decline of the American Empire (French: Le Déclin de l'empire américain) is a 1986 Canadian comedy-drama film directed by Denys Arcand. It was followed by two sequels, The Barbarian Invasions in 2003 and Days of Darkness in 2007.
Eight intellectual friends - four men and four women from the Department of History at the Université de Montréal - prepare to have dinner together. The ensuing conversations range from their professional lives to politics, but primarily concern their sexual exploits. The group has plans to gather at a secluded house for dinner. While the four men prepare the food and reflect on their promiscuity, the four women discuss their own affairs at a nearby gym. At the dinner table, conflicts soon arise when Dominique reveals that she herself has had affairs with two of the men there, one of whom is married to Louise (also present).
The film won nine Genie Awards in 1987, including Best Motion Picture, Best Achievement in Direction, Best Original Screenplay, Best Achievement in Film Editing, and the Golden Reel Award. It also received the International Critic's Prize at the Cannes Film Festival.
In 2004 the film was honoured as a MasterWork by the Audio-Visual Preservation Trust of Canada. The Toronto International Film Festival ranked it in the Top 10 Canadian Films of All Time twice, in 1993 and 2004.
- List of submissions to the 59th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Canadian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "Awards". The Decline of the American Empire. National Film Board of Canada. Retrieved 2009-11-07.
- AV Trust
- "Top 10 Canadian Films of All Time," The Canadian Encyclopedia, 2012, URL accessed 28 April 2013.
- "The 59th Academy Awards (1987) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- The Decline of the American Empire at the Internet Movie Database
- AVTrust.ca - The Decline of the American Empire, MasterWorks (2004) (video clip)
|This article related to a Canadian film of the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a 1980s comedy-drama film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|