They first appeared in a television special called The Great Santa Claus Switch. They would then appear in later franchises, such as The Muppet Show. Characteristics of a Frackle include fur and toothy beaks. They are normally small in stature, but there are exceptions. The Frackles became nameless, utility characters without personalities. They often changed appearance, performer, name and gender depending on the sketch and show. Gonzo, one of the most well known Muppets, originated as a Frackle. He appeared as a Frackle living in a cigar box in The Great Santa Claus Switch.
List of Frackles
- Blue Frackle - A blue colored Frackle with a very short beak, which also has ears. The character originated in The Great Santa Claus Switch where it was called Boppity (performed by Frank Oz). In The Muppet Show, the Blue Frackle was performed randomly by Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, Dave Goelz, and Richard Hunt.
- Cigar Box Frackle - A crooked-nosed Frackle that was introduced as Snarl in The Great Santa Claus Switch. This Frackle was the basis for the Gonzo character.
- Gonzo see above
- Dripsnout Frackle - A Frackle design used for Snivelly in The Great Santa Claus Switch, Droop on The Muppet Show, Nincompoop, Ziggedy Zest, Zeke, and Abel on Mopatop's Shop, and has a lookalike in Nigel from Muppets Tonight. The name comes from the book Jim Henson's Designs and Doodles.
- Green Frackle - A light green Frackle with a short toothy beak and long fur all around his neck. The character originated in The Great Santa Claus Switch where it was called Gloat (performed by Danny Seagren). In The Muppet Show, he was performed by Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Richard Hunt, Eren Ozker, and John Lovelady.
- Snake Frackle - A dark green Frackle with a long toothy beak and large eyes. The name comes from the book Jim Henson's Designs and Doodles. Also, the sketch depicted this Frackle with having a snake tail in place of its legs. In The Muppet Show, the Snake Frackle is performed by Richard Hunt and John Lovelady.
- Jade Green Frackle - A dark-green hunchbacked Frackle. In The Jim Henson Hour, the Jade Green Frackle is performed by Dave Goelz. He was named J.G. in the bonus features of The Muppets where he was performed by Tyler Bunch.
- Pink Frackle - A magenta Frackle with long ears and a beak. It was performed by Dave Goelz in the "Roger Moore" episode of The Muppet Show and by Fran Brill in the "Cliff's Nightmare" episode of The Cosby Show.
- Emerald Green Frackle - A dark green Frackle similar to Snake Frackle, only with a long, greener toothy beak and smaller eyes.
- Green-Furred Frackle - A Frackle with green fur, fox-like ears, and a beak that change colors between orange and pink for each production. In The Jim Henson Hour, this Frackle was performed by Kevin Clash. In The Muppet Show, he was played by Frank Oz and Dave Goelz.
- Purple Frackle - A lavender Frackle with yellow eyes and a vulture-like appearance.
- Gray Frackle - A gray-purple Frackle with clawed fingers and a brownish-purple face with white hair. The Gray Frackle was performed by Steve Whitmire in The Muppet Show and The Jim Henson Hour and by Mike Quinn in The Muppet Christmas Carol (where it played a Turkey Vendor).
- Blue Bird-Like Frackle - A blue vulture-like Frackle with a long toothy beak and long fur all around his neck. The character originated in The Great Santa Claus Switch where it was called Scoff (performed by Jerry Nelson). In The Muppet Show, the Blue Bird-Like Frackle is performed by John Lovelady.
- Green Bird-Like Frackle - A green vulture-like Frackle with a long toothy beak and long fur all around his neck and body.
- Mo Frackle - A lime green Frackle with yellow eyes, cat-like ears, bushy eyebrows, and a darker-colored beak. He was originally named Skankin Frackle by his builder James Wotjtal and is design is inspired by the designs of the Blue Frackle and the Green Frackle. Mo appeared with the Muppet team on Family Feud where he was performed by Bruce Lanoil. Mo Frackle later made other appearances like the Muppets' take on the song Bohemian Rapsody on Muppet Viral Vidoes, a cameo in The Muppets, and the reprisal of "Applause" from Lady Gaga and the Muppets' Holiday Spectacular..
- Scabby Frackle - A teal Frackle with a long, toothy beak, baggy eyes, and bushy eyebrows. The character was originally named Rankin, and was featured in Macy's Windows.