Kurdish: Tûz Xûrmatû خورماتوو
Turkish: Tuz hurma
|Elevation||715 ft (218 m)|
|• Total||60,262 |
Tuz Khormato, طوزخورماتو, Tuz Khurmatu (Kurdish: Tûz Xûrmatû, خورماتوو) is a town in Saladin Province, Iraq, located 55 miles south of Kirkuk. Majority of the town is ethnic Turkmen with smaller Kurdish and Arab minorities. The name "Tuz" means in the language of its Turkmen residents "Salt" and "Khormato" means "Date".
- On June 2, 2005, at least 12 people were killed and at least 40 wounded in a big explosion targeting a restaurant.
- On June 23, 2005, a car bomb detonated by remote control hit an Iraqi police patrol, killing one policeman and wounding 7 civilians.
- On September 20, 2005, insurgents detonated a car bomb targeting Shiite worshippers as they were exiting the Hussainiyat al-Rasoul al-Azam mosque, killing at least 10 and wounding 21 others.
- On March 14, 2007, a suicide bomber struck a market and killing 8 and wounding 25.
Operation New Dawn
- On September 7 2010, the first US casualties after President Barack Obama declared an end to US combat operations took place near the city when an Iraqi soldier killed 2 US military personnel. 
- On October 27, 2012, a car bombing next to a building owned by a Shi'ite endowment killed two civilians and injured ten others. 
- On December 17, 2012, two consecutive car bombings hit a residential area near the city's General Hospital, killing 11 civilians and injuring 45 others. The attacks were part of a country-wide wave of violence that killed almost 100 people in a single day. 
- On January 16, 2013, a suicide car bombing at the offices of the Kurdistan Democratic Party killed 5 and injured 40 others.  
- On January 23, 2013, a suicide bomber blew himself up during a funeral for a politician's relative in the city, killing 42 and leaving 75 others wounded.  
- See also: Iraqi insurgency (post-U.S. withdrawal)
- 20 dead in Iraq bombings | Iraq | Guardian Unlimited
- Car bombs kill nearly 40 people in Baghdad - International Herald Tribune
- Microsoft PowerPoint - Eye on Iraq Sep 20, 2005 - English
- Iraqi soldier fires on US troops, kills 2
- Killing and wounding 12 civilians east of Tikrit (NINA News Agency)
- BREAKING NEWS. 25 people killed and wounded in bombings series in Tuz district. (NINA News Agency)
- Reuters (2013-01-15). "Bombers kill more than 35 across Iraq". Trust.org. Retrieved 2013-01-15.
- Margaret Griffis (2013-01-16). "Iraq Slaughter: 55 Killed, 288 Wounded". Antiwar.com. Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- Marwan Ibrahim (2013-01-23). "Iraq suicide bomb at Shiite mosque kills 42". Google News. Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- Margaret Griffis (2013-01-23). "At least 51 Killed, 98 Wounded in Iraq Attacks". Antiwar.com. Retrieved 2013-01-24.