Kurdish: Tûz Xûrmatû تازه خورماتوو
|Elevation||715 ft (218 m)|
|• Total||60,262 |
Tuz Khormato (طوزخورماتو) or Tuz Khurmatu (Kurdish: Tûz Xûrmatû, خورماتوو; Turcomani: Tuz khurma tau , Azerbaijani: Tuz xurma ) is a town that is the main centre of the Tooz District in Saladin Province, Iraq, located 55 miles south of Kirkuk. A plurality of the population is ethnic Turcoman (not to be confused with the Turkmen of Turkmenistan), large minorities of Kurds and Arabs form the remaining population. ، The name of the city is taken from Persian language, in which "Tuz" is the changed form of word "Taze=تازه" which means fresh and the word "Khorma=خرما" which means date.
- On June 2, 2005, at least 12 people were killed and at least 40 wounded in a big explosion targeting a restaurant.
- On June 23, 2005, a car bomb detonated by remote control hit an Iraqi police patrol, killing one policeman and wounding 7 civilians.
- On September 20, 2005, insurgents detonated a car bomb targeting Shiite worshippers as they were exiting the Hussainiyat al-Rasoul al-Azam mosque, killing at least 10 and wounding 21 others.
- On March 14, 2007, a suicide bomber struck a market and killing 8 and wounding 25.
Operation New Dawn
- On September 7, 2010, the first US casualties after President Barack Obama declared an end to US combat operations took place near the city when an Iraqi soldier killed 2 US military personnel.
- On October 27, 2012, a car bombing next to a building owned by a Shi'ite endowment killed two civilians and injured ten others.
- On December 17, 2012, two consecutive car bombings hit a residential area near the city's General Hospital, killing 11 civilians and injuring 45 others. The attacks were part of a country-wide wave of violence that killed almost 100 people in a single day.
- On January 16, 2013, a suicide car bombing at the offices of the Kurdistan Democratic Party killed 5 and injured 40 others.
- On January 23, 2013, a suicide bomber blew himself up during a funeral for a politician's relative in the city, killing 42 and leaving 75 others wounded.
- See also: Iraqi insurgency (post-U.S. withdrawal)
- 20 dead in Iraq bombings | Iraq | Guardian Unlimited
- Car bombs kill nearly 40 people in Baghdad - International Herald Tribune
- Microsoft PowerPoint - Eye on Iraq Sep 20, 2005 - English
- Iraqi soldier fires on US troops, kills 2
- Killing and wounding 12 civilians east of Tikrit (NINA News Agency)
- BREAKING NEWS. 25 people killed and wounded in bombings series in Tuz district. (NINA News Agency)
- Reuters (2013-01-15). "Bombers kill more than 35 across Iraq". Trust.org. Retrieved 2013-01-15.
- Margaret Griffis (2013-01-16). "Iraq Slaughter: 55 Killed, 288 Wounded". Antiwar.com. Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- Marwan Ibrahim (2013-01-23). "Iraq suicide bomb at Shiite mosque kills 42". Google News. Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- Margaret Griffis (2013-01-23). "At least 51 Killed, 98 Wounded in Iraq Attacks". Antiwar.com. Retrieved 2013-01-24.