|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013)|
VIXX at One Fine Day Press Conference 2015 (From left to right: Hyuk, Ravi, Hongbin, Ken, Leo and N)
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Labels||Jellyfish Entertainment, CJ E&M Music and Live
CJ Victor Entertainment (Japan)
VIXX (Korean: 빅스; acronym for Voice, Visual, Value in Excelsis) is a six-member South Korean boy band, signed under Jellyfish Entertainment. All members participated in Mnet's survival reality show MyDOL and were chosen via an elimination system through viewer votes. The name, VIXX, was also chosen by viewer votes. VIXX consists of N, Leo, Ken, Ravi, Hongbin, and Hyuk. They are predominantly known as a concept or performance group whose music, lyrics, choreography, and overall stage performances are crafted together to tell a story or concept.
- 1 History
- 2 Artistry
- 3 Members
- 4 Discography
- 5 Filmography
- 6 Concerts and tours
- 7 Awards and nominations
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Before debuting, the VIXX members were 6 of 10 contestants featured in the Mnet reality show Mydol. N, Leo, Hongbin and Ravi were featured in Brian Joo's "Let This Die" music video. N, Leo, and Ravi were also featured in Seo In-guk's "Shake It Up". Hongbin was featured in Seo In-guk's "Tease Me".
2012: Superhero, Rock Ur Body and Jelly Christmas 2012 Heart Project
VIXX was also part of Jellyfish's winter project, Jelly Christmas 2012 Heart Project, with their label mates Lee Seok Hoon, Park Hyo Shin, Seo In-guk and Sung Shi Kyung. On December 5, the title track, "Because It's Christmas", was released digitally.
2013: On and On, Hyde, Jekyll, Voodoo and Jelly Christmas 2013
On January 6, VIXX pre-released a single, "Don't Want to Be an Idol", from their third single album, On and On. The title song, "On and On", was then released on January 17 along with the album itself.
On October 11, VIXX released a special collaboration album with female indie pop group OKDAL (Oksang Dalbit). The album, Y.BIRD from Jellyfish Island with VIXX & OKDAL, was produced by OKDAL members Kim Yoon-ju and Park Sae-jin. The title track "Girls, Why" was written by Kim Yoon-ju save for the rap, which was written was Ravi. Both Yoon-ju and Sae-jin participated in composing the second song "I'm a Boy, You're a Girl". Ravi accompanied both OKDAL members in writing the lyrics. VIXX and OKDAL promoted the special album with live performances on You Hee-yeol's Sketchbook, which aired October 12, and at Jellyfish's Y.BIRD from Jellyfish Island Showcase on October 13.
On November 8, VIXX pre-released a single, as well as the music video for the song, "Only U", from their upcoming full-length album, Voodoo. On November 20, the title song, "Voodoo Doll", was released and on November 25, the album itself was released. On December 6, VIXX grabbed the top spot for that week's episode of Music Bank with "Voodoo Doll", making it their first music show win since their debut.
The artists of Jellyfish Entertainment, including VIXX, released their annual Christmas song on December 10, titled "Winter Confession" for Jelly Christmas 2013. The song topped the Instiz chart for 2 weeks in a row, the Billboard K-Pop Hot 100 charts and also the Gaon charts.
2014: Eternity, Darkest Angels and Error
The single is about a man blurring his reality and dreams to re-experience love
A somber love song about trying to "delete" painful memories as a cyborg
|Problems playing these files? See media help.|
On March 5, Jellyfish Entertainment announced that VIXX would be having a comeback in mid-April or early May. On May 18, the title of VIXX's fourth single album, Eternity, was revealed through the group's official fancafe and the music video teaser was released on May 22. On May 27, the music video for "Eternity" was released along with the album itself.
On June 15, VIXX together with Girls' Generation, EXO, B2ST, 4minute, B1A4, A Pink, BTOB and more, participated in 2014 DREAM CONCERT at the Seoul World Cup Stadium. VIXX performed with "Eternity" and "Voodoo Doll". They had a special stage Dance Battle with BTOB.
On June 20, it was announced that VIXX will be attending KCON from August 9–10. This is VIXX's 2nd year attending, the first being in 2012. They also got some awards that were voted from their fanclub. They got Best Visual and Best Actor from KCON 2014.
On September 25, Jellyfish Entertainment confirmed that VIXX will be having a comeback on October 14. On October 4, the title song and track list of VIXX's second mini-album were revealed via their official site. On October 10, VIXX released the music video teaser for "Error" and the music video was released along with the mini-album, Error on October 14. On December 10, VIXX released the Japanese version of "Error", which included also the Japanese version of "Youth Hurts".
2015: Boys' Record,
On January 16, it was reported that VIXX was planning a February comeback with a new remake album. On February 11, R.ef's "Farewell Formula" was revealed as the title track for the new remake album via VIXX's social media accounts. On February 20, the music video teaser for "Love Equation" was released. On February 24, Boys' Record was released along with the music video for "Love Equation". After its release, the song was an all-kill on all the music shows.The group achieved their first triple crown with the album on The Show .
VIXX have established themselves as a concept or a performance group whose “attention to detail is masterful and elevates VIXX above their contemporaries”. The members are heavily involved in the development of their concepts and their “commitment to concept is especially impressive with live performances of songs”. Micah Levin Isla from the The Philippine Star commented “You can be someone who’ll never be truly on board with this whole K-Pop craze. But there’s something about VIXX that’s really fascinating and intriguing. Their music and appeal have this lingering effect. They can make you Google and YouTube to hear more, to know more”. VIXX has cemented a “niche in the theatrical side of K-pop” with performances that follow a storyline that is carefully put together. With their powerful vocals, costume, make-up, and dancing, the group's stage performances have musical-like or movie-like style. They have been praised for their stage presence for, with a reviewer commenting that “VIXX ooze with charisma”. In a review of one of their concerts, journalist Park Jung Sun commented, “They presented [a] live performance which broke prejudice[s] people have towards idols. VIXX presented a musical-like stage as coming off from the-usual-concert which displays singing and dancing. VIXX led their fans to UTOPIA that they constructed”.
While the group did not find immediate success with their debut song “Superhero” and “Rock Ur Body,” VIXX received some public attention with their first foray with a dark concept. Performing in colored contact lenses, suits, and heavy stage makeup, their intense vampiric concept for “On and On,” was a dramatic shift from their first two concepts. This was followed by “GR8U” and “Hyde,” which was based on Jekyll and Hyde. The concept described the transformation from good to evil and the theme of duality carried over in the choreography and lyrics. By the end of 2013, the group released “Voodoo Doll,” a creepy and sadist single told through the perspective of a voodoo doll. The song was less of a love song and "more a pledge of undying loyalty". Their concepts are predominately known for being dark, with the incorporation of fantasy elements and having a goth influence. Soompi has commented "“Leave it to VIXX to show something completely creepy but be charismatic and powerful at the same time” and that "If you are talking scary concepts in K-pop, you are almost certainly talking VIXX”. Much of the subject matter in their music has themes of intense, obsessive, and twisted sense of love, with their music often having melancholy and sinister undertones.
- N (Cha Hak-yeon; 차학연) – leader, dance, vocals
- Leo (Jung Taek-woon; 정택운) – main vocals
- Ken (Lee Jae-hwan; 이재환) – main vocals
- Ravi (Kim Won-sik; 김원식) – rap, dance
- Hongbin (Lee Hong-bin; 이홍빈) – vocals
- Hyuk (Han Sang-hyuk 한상혁) – dance
- Voodoo (2013)
- Darkest Angels (2014)
|2013||SBS||The Heirs||All||As themselves||Cameo (Ep. 4)|
|2014||MBC||Hotel King||N||Noah||Supporting role|
|MBC Every 1||Boarding House No. 24||Ken||Lee Jaehwan||Main cast|
|SBS||Glorious Day||Hongbin||Yoo Ji-ho||Supporting role|
|2015||SBS||Family Outing||N||Cha Hak-yeon||Supporting role|
|2012||Mnet||MyDOL||Their pre-debut survival show|
|SBS MTV||VIXX's MTV Diary||Their first reality show|
|2013||SBS MTV||Plan V Diary||Their second reality show|
|Mnet Japan||VIXX File||Their third reality show|
|2015||MBC||VIXX's One Fine Day||Their fourth reality show|
|2012||TVN||The Romantic & Idol Season 2||N||Cast member|
|2014||Mnet||4 Things Show||N||Main star|
|MBC Every 1||Hitmaker||N, Hyuk||Cast member|
|SBS||Law of the Jungle||Hyuk||Cast member (Brazil edition)|
|TVN||First Day Of Work Season 3||N||Cast member|
|MBC Every 1||Hitmaker Season 2||N, Hyuk||Cast member|
|2015||MBC Every 1||Bachelor's Party||N||Cast member|
|Mnet||Show Me the Money 4||Ravi||Contestant|
|2014||Full House||Leo||Lee Young-jae||Lead role|
|2015||Chess||Ken||Anatoly Karpov||Lead role|
Concerts and tours
- 2013: The Milky Way Global Showcase
- 2014: VIXX Live Fantasia – Hex Sign
- 2014: VIXX US Tour
- 2015: VIXX Live Fantasia – Utopia
Awards and nominations
VIXX have been recipients of 22 awards from South Korean and International events. They started to gain recognition in 2013, one year after their debut. They received their first award at SBS MTV Best of The Best 2013 for Best Rookie Group  and received their first Main Prize Bonsang Award at 23rd Seoul Music Awards. They received their first music programme award at Music Bank with "Voodoo Doll". 
- "VIXX's Hong Bin receives praise for his identical looks to singer Se7en". allkpop. 18 May 2012.
- "Upcoming group VIXX releases 3rd video teaser for "Super Hero"". allkpop. 20 May 2012.
- "Finalists from 'Mydol' reveal official group name, Vixx". allkpop. 10 May 2012.
- "VIXX to watch the last episode of 'Mydol' with their fans at a movie theater". allkpop. 31 May 2012.
- "Sung Si Kyung to feature debut process of idol stars through 'Mydol'". allkpop. 28 March 2012.
- Park, Jung Jun (2015-03-30). "'Concepts Idol' VIXX, turned fiercely into a performance idol.". Osen. Retrieved 2015-05-11.
- Brian Joo (브라이언) - Let This Die (Extended Eng Ver.). 31 Jan 2012.
- Seo In Guk (서인국) "SHAKE IT UP" Music Video. 8 Aug 2011.
- 서인국 - 밀고 당겨줘 (Tease Me). 12 Apr 2012.
- "VIXX to perform at Otakon". allkpop. 21 July 2012. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "Korean boy band VIXX will perform at Otakon on Friday". The Baltimore Sun. 25 July 2012. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "VIXX releases "Rock Ur Body" MV ft. SISTAR's Dasom". allkpop. 14 August 2012. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- "4Minute and VIXX to Perform at KCON in California". Soompi. 27 August 2012. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "Jellyfish Entertainment artists release "Because It’s Christmas" MV". allkpop. 5 December 2012. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "VIXX pre-releases "Don’t Want To Be An Idol" from their 3rd single". allkpop. 6 January 2013. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "VIXX releases "On and On" MV". allkpop. 17 January 2013. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- "VIXX Unveils Their MV for "HYDE" and Release The 1st Mini Album". koreanupdates.com. 20 May 2013. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "VIXX to Drop Collaboration Tune with Indie Pop Duo". Tenasia. 2 October 2013. Archived from the original on 22 May 2014. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- "VIXX and OKDAL release music video for "Girls, why?"!". Annyeong Europe. 11 October 2013. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- "VIXX win #1 + Performances from Dec. 6th 'Music Bank'!". allkpop.com. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Jellyfish Artists, Brown Eyed Soul, and Beenzino top Instiz chart for 4th week of December 2013". allkpop.com. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- "KOREA K-POP HOT 100 Week of December 28, 2013". billboard.com. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- "Gaon Chart releases chart rankings for December 8 - December 14". allkpop.com. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- "VIXX, Comeback Scheduled for Mid-April or Early May". Sports Today. 6 March 2014. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "VIXX to make their debut in Japan with 'Darkest Angels'". Dkpopnews. 19 May 2014. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- "VIXX finally makes their Japan Debut through 『DARKEST ANGELS』 ALBUM". Tower. 19 May 2014. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- "Check out performances from over 30 K-pop stars at the '2014 Dream Concert'". allkpop.com. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- "VIXX Joins KCON 2014 Lineup". Soompi. 20 June 2014. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- "[KCON Experience 2014] CL meets VIXX Backstage". mnetamerica.com. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "[단독] 빅스, 10월 14일 컴백.."더 센 콘셉트 나온다"". OSEN. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- "VIXX reveal tracklist for their upcoming second mini-album 'Error'". allkpop. 4 October 2014. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "VIXX Releases Tracklist for Second Mini Album". Soompi. 4 October 2014. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "VIXX Releases an Intense MV Teaser For "Error"". Soompi. Sylphid. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "VIXX Releases MV for "Error" and New Mini Album". Soompi. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "VIXX to Make February Comeback with Remake Album". Soompi. 26 January 2015. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "VIXX to Cover R.ef’s "Farewell Formula" in Their Upcoming Remake Album". Soompi. 11 February 2015. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "VIXX Make a Clean Sweep with #1 Win on SBS "Inkigayo" + Performances by D & E, Boyfriend, & More". Allkpop. 8 March 2015. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "VIXX share their thoughts on 8th trophy and first triple muntizen for 'Love Equation'". Allkpop. 18 March 2015. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "VIXX & its Successful Use of Themes". Kultscene. 2014-11-13. Retrieved 2015-06-01.
- "VIXX’s Second US Tour Brings K-pop to NYC’s Terminal 5". MTV K. 2014-12-11. Retrieved 2015-06-01.
- "How Manila got VIXX-ed". The Philippine Star. 2014-05-14. Retrieved 2015-06-01.
- "VIXX Successfully Creates ′UTOPIA′ with Over 24,000 Fans at Concert". Mwave. 2015-03-30. Retrieved 2015-06-01.
- "'콘셉트돌' 빅스, 공연돌로의 치열한 진화". Osen (in Korean). 2015-03-30. Retrieved 2015-06-01.
- "Dodging the Sophomore Jinx - VIXX". 2013-12-12. Retrieved 2015-06-01.
- "VIXX transform into demons for "Hyde" MV teaser". Allkpop. 2013-05-13. Retrieved 2015-06-01.
- "VIXX Returns with a Little ‘VOODOO’". MTV K. 2013-11-19. Retrieved 2015-06-01.
- "VIXX Becomes Sacrificial “Voodoo Doll”s in Creepy Yet Charismatic MV". Soompi. 2013-11-19. Retrieved 2015-06-01.
- "The 10 Most Surprising K-Pop Comeback Concepts". Soompi. 2015-03-06. Retrieved 2015-06-01.
- "VIXX profile". VIXX (official site). Jellyfish Entertainment. Retrieved 7 May 2015.
- "'The Romantic & Idol' reveals lineup for season 2". Allkpop. 2012-12-18. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- ""4 Things Show" prepares for Season 2 with Sungkyu and Zico's possible reappearance". Koreaboo. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "GOT7's Jackson, VIXX's N and Hyuk, and BTOB's Sungjae are the first project group for Jung Hyung Don and Defconn's new variety show 'Hitmaker'". Allkpop. 2014-07-18. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "Super Junior's Kangin and VIXX's Hyuk take on 'Laws of the Jungle'". Allkpop. 2014-06-06. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "VIXX’s N, Freestyle’s Mino and More Join ‘First Day of Work’". Mwave. 2014-11-13. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "BIG BYUNG (Jackson, Yook Sungjae, N, and Hyuk) to Reunite, “Hitmaker” Season 2 in the Works". Soompi. 2014-10-29. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "VIXX’s N Joins Super Junior’s Eunhyuk and Kangin on “Shin Dong Yup’s Bachelor Party”". Soompi. 2015-01-28. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "VIXX’s Ravi Confirmed to Join “Show Me the Money 4”". soompi. 2015-05-09. Retrieved 2015-05-14.
- "2013 SBS MTV Best of the Best". mtv.co.kr.
- "VIXX Wins Their First Ever Music Show on Music Bank with “Voodoo Doll”". soompi.com. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to VIXX.|