||This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011)|
SS501 at My Style My MTV in 2008
From L to R: Kim Hyung-jun, Heo Young-saeng, Park Jung-min, Kim Kyu-jong and Kim Hyun-joong (leader)
|Also known as||Double-S 501
Deo Beul E Seu Oh Gong Il (더블에스오공일)
Deo Beul E Seu Goma Rui Chi
|Genres||K-pop, J-pop, dance, R&B|
|Years active||2005– present (hiatus)|
Pony Canyon (Japan)
Warner Music Taiwan
|Associated acts||Kara, Rainbow, A-JAX|
SS501 (pronounced as Double-S Five-Oh-One or Deo Beul E Seu Oh Gong Il, Hangul: 더블에스오공일, Chinese: 雙五百強之一, Japanese: ダブルエスオゴンイル ) is a South Korean boy band formed under the management of DSP Media, formerly known as Daesung Entertainment and DSP Entertainment. The group debut in 2005 with five members: Kim Hyun-joong, Heo Young-saeng, Kim Kyu-jong, Park Jung-min and Kim Hyung-jun.
As of June 2010, upon the expiration of group's contract with DSP Media, all the members have subsequently moved to other management companies, to pursue solo careers, but Kim Hyun-joong, the leader, has stated that they have not disbanded.
The name of the band is a combination of letters and numbers that have special meaning. The first “S” stands for “Superstar". The second “S” is an abbreviation for "Singer". The combination of 5, 0, and 1 symbolizes "five members united as one forever". SS501's official fan club name is Triple S (means SSS : Super Star Supporters).
2005–2006: Debut 
SS501 debuted on 8 June 2005 with their first single "Kyeonggo" (Korean: "경고", "Warning"); a second single, "Snow Prince", was released in late 2005. The group was inactive in Korea for most of 2006, although they had a fan meeting in Japan in April of that year. The reason was due to Heo Young Saeng's throat condition, which required a surgery, thus resulting in a need for time to fully recover. In mid-2006, they held their first successful concert, "Step Up Concert" in Osaka, Japan. In late 2006, they returned to Korea in order to promote their first full album, which was released on 10 November and was entitled S.T.01 Now. Singles from the album included "Unlock" and "Four Chance". Alongside promoting the album on various variety and music shows, they also filmed a show on MNet, which was called SOS. The group (excepting Heo Young Saeng, who was recovering from the surgery) also lent their voices for the 2006 animated movie Pi's Story.
2007–2008: Japanese activities, Boys Over Flowers, and sub-unit 
Later in 2007, the group debuted in the Japanese market. A Japanese fan club was established with the name "Triple S Japan"; it officially debuted on 25 March 2007, when SS501 had their first official meeting with the club. The group at this time released their Japanese single "Kokoro", alongside multiple versions, including one with all members and five featuring each member individually. The single debuted at No. 5 on the Oricon chart, and moved to No. 3 the next day. It was also chosen as an ending theme song for an anime entitled Blue Dragon. A full album was released later that year. SS501 also received the newcomer award in Japan; this was the first time for Korean artists to receive this award.
In 2008, SS501 returned to Korea with their single Deja Vu, which was released on 8 March 2008. The title track was the first song to be promoted, and they began their comeback on music channel M.Net's M Countdown. After success with their single "Deja Vu", they began to promote their second single, "A Song Calling for You". They performed their Goodbye Stage on Music Bank on 6 June 2008, to return to Japanese activities.
On 2 October 2008, leader Hyun-joong was cast as 'Yoon Ji Hoo' in the Korean version of Hana Yori Dango, officially named Boys Over Flowers. It was broadcast on KBS in the first half of 2009. On 4 October the group represented Korea to performed and picked up the The Best Asian Artist Award at the 5th Asia Song Festival, organised by Korea Foundation for International Culture Exchange, at the Seoul World Cup Stadium.
With Jung-min, who's performing in the lead role of 'Danny Park' in musical Grease and Hyun-joong on Boys Over Flowers; the remaining three members formed 'SS501 Project Group' with Young-saeng as the leader. They released a project album named U R Man in November 2008, with a high tempo dance track "U R Man". They also contributed to the Boys Over Flowers soundtrack with "내 머리가 나빠서" (Because I'm Stupid), and appeared in episode four of Boys Over Flowers in a cameo performance of "U R Man".
2009: Mini albums and first Asian tour 
SS501 released their official second Japanese album, All My Love, on 13 May 2009. A promotional tour was also held in Japan in support of the album. They later released the album Solo Collection, which consisted of the individual members' songs. Following its release, the members dissolved into their solo activities.
In August 2009, they reunited to embark on their 1st Asia Tour Persona, with two concerts in Seoul. It was followed by 15 concerts in Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand, China, Malaysia, and Singapore.
The group's mini album Rebirth was released in two parts: in a limited and a full edition. The former was released on 20 October, the latter on the 22 October. The limited special edition album included two posters and an 100-page photo diary. SS501 promoted the album with the single "Love Like This"; the song went on to win two Music Bank awards and an Inkigayo Mutizen in November. Promotional activities for the album ended on 29 November 2009.
On 21 November 2009, the group along with artists from SM Entertainment, Inwoo Production and Pledis Entertainment did not attend the 2009 Mnet Asian Music Awards. DSP stated that unlike the other agencies they were not boycotting the event only that they were busy with preparations for their first Asian tour.
In 2010, SS501 continued their 1st Asia Tour Persona concert in Thailand before holding their final encore concert, on 27 February, in Seoul to conclude the tour. Although the release of a new mini album was planned for 1 May 2010 (a nod towards "501" in the group's name), the date was pushed back in order to "add finishing touches". They performed at the 2010 Dream Concert later that month. Due to the fact that Kim Hyun-joong was still recovering from a previous injury, they sang two ballads instead of the rumored comeback track.
A day after their performance at the Dream Concert, one of their mini album tracks, "Let Me Be The One", was leaked on the internet. Not long afterwards, the teaser for the comeback track was unveiled. The third mini album, "Destination", was released on 24 May 2010. Their first win for lead track, "Love Ya", was on KBS's Music Bank, on 11 June. They also took first place the following week. On 18 June, DSP announced that SS501 would end their "Love Ya" promotions due to the expiration of their contract on 7 June 2010.
2010: Leaving DSP Media 
In June 2010, upon the expiration of the group's contract with DSP Media, all the members then subsequently signed with other management companies. Kim Hyun-joong signed with KeyEast Entertainment in late June. This was followed, in August, by Park Jung-min who joined CNR Media and Kim Hyung-jun with S-Plus Entertainment. Lastly in October Heo Young-saeng and Kim Kyu-jong, both signed with B2M Entertainment.
Although its members signed under different companies, SS501 as of 2011, has retained its name. All of the members' new companies have stated that SS501's activities are top priority in their contracts. All members have also stated that the group has definitely not disbanded. Kim Hyun-joong explained in an interview that, at the time, there wasn't a company that would accepted them as a whole, thus the group decided to take the chance to focus on their solo activities. On October 2010, Kim Hyung-jun announced that SS501 would be back in early 2011 with a new album. April 2012, Kim Hyung-jun said in his own Japan concert tour that he meet up with all the members and SS501's comeback have been decided.
2011: Solo artists 
Kim Hyun-joong starred in the leading role of 'Baek Seung Jo' in Korean drama Playful Kiss, broadcasted on MBC in September 2010. He then released his debut solo album Break Down on 8 June 2011 and it exceeded 70,000 pre-ordered copies in 10 days. In July 2011, he held his first nationwide concert in Japan, then continued the tour in November in seven cities across Japan. Kim Hyun Joong then released his second mini album Lucky, in October. It debuted at number 5 on Billboard's World Chart.
Heo Young-saeng and Kim Kyu-jong held a joint fanmeeting, Kim Kyu-jong & Heo Young-saeng Story In Seoul on 4 December which continued in Hong Kong, Japan and countries across Asia. Heo Young-s-jaeng was scheduled to launch his solo singing career on 28 April 2011, but had to postpone because he pulled the ligaments on his right hand during dance practice. His debut solo mini album, Let It Go was released on 12 May 2011, which features Kim Kyu-jong and Hyuna of girl group 4minute. In November and December, Heo made his theatrical musical debut in The Three Musketeers.
Kim Kyu-jong made his musical debut in Goong: Musical, playing the lead role of Crown Prince Lee Shin, in Kyoto, Japan from 11 June to 1 July and debuted as a solo artist in September 2011 with mini album Turn Me On. On 9 November 2011, Heo Young Saeng and Kim Kyu-jong, along with other Korean and Japanese artists, perform at the Seoul Tokyo Music Festival 2011 at Saitama Super Arena, Japan.
Park Jung-min's comeback solo album, Not Alone, was originally planned to be released on 25 November 2010, but was pushed back to 20 January 2011. Park was cast in a musical Bonds Of Boys in Japan as an exchange student from 18 to 23 November 2011. He also expanded his experience in acting by being cast in the Japanese drama, Love Song in August. He was also cast in the Taiwanese drama, Fondant Garden, along with Kingone Wang, Jian Man Shu and Lia Lee.
In January 2011, according to Kim Hyung-jun's official Japanese homepage, he signed with Avex Entertainment for his Japanese activities. On 8 March 2011 Hyung Jun released his debut solo mini album My Girl with music videos for the two lead tracks "oH! aH!" and "Girl". Where Park Jung-min visited Kim Hyung-jun during the music video shoot for "Girl".
2012: Dramas and military service 
Kim Hyun-joong was offered the main lead role for the drama "Conquest for the City/City Conquest". Previously, Kim Hyun-joong has acted as a soft, gentle person however, this time round there will be 180 degrees change. He will be playing a wild, tough, rough man who grew up with no parents. He also released three Japanese albums entitled KISS KISS / Lucky Guy, HEAT,and unlimited where he wins several awards. He also holds several concerts in South East Asia.
Heo joined the cast of KBS2 sitcom I Need a Fairy in episode 23. His character is a famous singer who is one of the female character's, Cha Na-ra, first love. He had left her in order to pursue his career as a professional singer, but returned to Cha Na-ra after coming to fame. His role's name is the same as Heo's real name, but also goes by a nickname, Kaki. He also released his second mini-album entitled Solo and his first Japanese album entitled Over joyed in May and September respectively.
Kim Kyu-jong portrayed Nicky in Saving Madame Go Bong Shil alongside f(x) member Luna. He has been praised by the media for his improvised acting skills. He also released his second mini album entitled Meet Me Again before his enlistment on July.
Park Jung-min acted in the Taiwanese drama Fondant Garden, also showing good acting. He then debuted as Romeo under Victor Music after his lawsuit against CNR Media. He releases Japanese albums Give Me Your Heart and Tonight's The Night in September and October respectively. In November, he comes back to Korea for his 3rd mini-album Beautiful. In December, he released Japanese album, Midnight Theatre and holds a concert in Tokyo Dome city hall.
Kim Hyung-jun starred in his first drama, Glowing She/Sunshine Girl, playing a leading role named Kang Min, a cool successful singer. The drama aired from 7 January to 17 March. He was once again offered to play a main character in I Love You/Late Blossom. He also released his second mini-album entitled Escape and holds concerts in South-East Asia including Japan and Malaysia. He is also active in several award shows and music festivals.
In June 2012, B2M Entertainment announced that Kim Kyu-jong would start doing his mandatory military service in July, making him the first member to enlist. On June 3, Kim held a farewell fan meeting entitled Thank U ThanKYU with Triple S at Yonsei University in Sinchon-dong, Seoul, which the other SS501 members also attended. This marked Kim's last official activity before his enlistment and the first time in over two years that the five members of SS501 had gathered. On July 2, his agency announced that Kim would report to the recruit training center of the 35th division in Jeonju, North Jeolla Province on July 23 for four weeks of basic training. They further explained that Kim had originally been exempted, because he is a hepatitis type B carrier. Since then, however, the law has been reformed, making him eligible to serve non-active duty as a public service worker.
|Name||Date of birth||Agency|
|Kim Hyun-Joong||김현중||金賢重||6 June 1986||KeyEast Entertainment|
|Heo Young-saeng||허영생||許永生||3 November 1986||B2M Entertainment|
|Kim Kyu-jong||김규종||金奎鐘||24 February 1987||B2M Entertainment|
|Park Jung-min||박정민||朴政珉||3 April 1987||YAMAHA A&R Entertainment|
|Kim Hyung-jun||김형준||金亨俊||3 August 1987||S Plus Entertainment|
- Official Fanclub Color: Pearl Light Green
- Official Fanclub Name: Triple S (SSS - Super Star Supporters)
- Also Known As: Green Peas
- Date of Establishment: December 18, 2005
- As of December 2012, Triple S is still on the Top 5 list according to Daum Fancafe in spite of the group's hiatus.
Although most of their music is composed by various people, the members of SS501 have also contributed to their albums. Five of them wrote the lyrics for "Green Peas" from Rebirth Album dedicated especially to their fans. Kim Hyung Jun and his brother, Kim Ki Bum, formerly of U-KISS, composed, under the name "H&B", the songs: "Want It", "The One", "I AM" from U R Man Album and "Hey G" from Solo Collection Album. Kim Hyung Jun also wrote the lyrics of the song "Obsess" in their Rebirth album. Heo Young Saeng composed his solo song "Is It Love?" from Solo Collection Album and wrote the lyrics of "Until Forever", one of the tracks in SS501's album Destination. Park Jung Min composed the song "Kiss" which is sung by Rainbow from Gossip Girl Album, where he performed the song at their Persona concert. He also wrote the lyrics of Not Alone and contributed to all the other songs from his album. He wrote lyrics in Japanese and sang the song "Your Colour" himself for his new mobile drama for LISMO Channel in Japan entitled Love Song In August.
- 2006–2007: SS501's Youngstreet –-- Kim Kyu-jong, Park Jung-min and Heo Young-saeng
- 2009–present: Music High –-- Kim Hyung-jun
- 2008: PHOTO501 --- photo book
- 2009: Endless Melody --- photo book
Concerts and showcase 
- Step Up in Seoul, South Korea (2006)
- Step Up in Busan, South Korea (2006)
- Step Up in Daegu, South Korea (2006)
- Concert in Osaka, Japan (2006)
- Concert in Seoul, South Korea (2006)
- 4th Annual Korean Music Festival in Los Angeles, California, USA (2006)
- Concert in Tokyo, Japan (2007)
- Concert in Shanghai, China (2008)
- Concert in Tokyo, Japan (2008)
- Concert in Osaka, Japan (2008)
- SS501 Showcase with Triple S – Olympic Fencing Gymnasium, Seoul (15 November 2008)
- Victory Concert in Los Angeles, California, USA (2009)
- 7th Annual Korean Music Festival in Los Angeles, California, USA (2009)
- 1st Asia Tour Persona in Seoul, South Korea – two concerts (July 2009)
- 1st Asia Tour Persona in Tokyo, Japan (2009)
- 1st Asia Tour Persona in Taipei, Taiwan (2009),
- 1st Asia Tour Persona in Shanghai, China (2009)
- 1st Asia Tour Persona in Hong Kong, China (2009)
- 1st Asia Tour Persona in Bangkok, Thailand (2010)
- 1st Asia Tour Persona Encore in Seoul, South Korea (27 February 2010 at Olympic Gymnastics Arena)
- SS501 Special Concert in Saitama Super Arena (25 April 2010)
- SS501 Newton X-Concert in Seoul, South Korea (13 June 2010)
For individual awards, see here:
Music Programs 
M! Countdown 
|2005||15 September||"Never Again"|
|2006||5 January||"Snow Prince"|
|2007||18 January||"4 Chance"|
|2009||8 January||"U R Man"|
Music Bank 
|2009||13 November||"Love Like This"|
|2010||11 June||"Love Ya"|
|2007||7 January||"4 Chance"|
|2008||20 April||"Deja Vu"|
|2009||11 January||"U R Man"|
- Kang Seung-hun "Kim Hyun-joong says SS501 has not disbanded" 10 Asia. 26 August 2010. Retrieved 2011-10-31
- (Korean) "Scary New! 'Ss501' Meet 무서운 신인! 'ss501'을 만나다". ystar. 16 June 2005. Retrieved 9 November 2011.
- (Korean) "SS501 First Fan Meeting in Japan, "Power Hotties", a Speech Praised SS501 일본 첫 팬미팅 "전원 꽃미남" 일 언론 극찬". Newsen. 16 April 2006. Retrieved 17 April 2006.
- (Korean) "SS501, The Main Vocal Concert Heo Young Saeng Laryngeal Surgery Postponed SS501, 메인보컬 허영생 후두 수술로 콘서트 연기". Sport Seoul. 3 March 2006. Retrieved 9 November 2011.
- (Korean) "July! SS501 'Pi's Story as' a brilliant screen debut! 7월! SS501 '파이 스토리'로 화려한 스크린 데뷔!". ystar. 26 June 2006. Retrieved 9 November 2011.
- "Skull, TVXQ Hitting Overseas Charts" Korea Times. 7 August 2007. Retrieved 2011-11-02
- "SS501 Makes a Comeback" KBS World. 13 March 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-26
- "5th Asia Song Festival" KOFICE. 4 October 2008. Retrieved 2011-10-26
- "SS501, the 1st Asia Tour Persona in Seoul" Joongang Daily. 29 July 2009. Retrieved 2011-10-31
- Park Kun, Ouc (12 October 2009). "SS501 releases new mini-album jacket". Asiae. Retrieved 31 October 2009.
- "SS501, '타투'로 짐승돌 변신?". JoyNews (in Korean). Retrieved 31 October 2009.
- Park, Kun-ouc (4 November 2009). "DSP plays down MAMA boycott rumor". Asiae. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "S501 speaks ahead of "PERSONA" encore show" 10 Asia. 2 March 2010. Retrieved 2011-10-31
- Hong, Lucia (14 June 2010). "Boy bands take control of TV music programs". 10 Asia. Retrieved 29 June 2012.
- Kim, Lynn "Kim Hyun-joong signs with Bae Yong-joon's agency" 10 Asia. 29 June 2010. Retrieved 2011-10-25
- Park Kun-ouc "SS501 Park Jung-min signs with new agency" 10 Asia. 10 August 2010. Retrieved 2011-11-01
- Kim, Jessica "SS501 Kim Hyung-joon joins Kang Ji-hwan agency" 10 Asia. 27 August 2010. Retrieved 2011-10-31
- Hong, Lucia "Kim Kyu-jong, Heo Young-saeng to sign with new agency" 10 Asia. 14 October 2010. Retrieved 2011-10-31
- (Korean) "Kim Hyun Joong states SS501 will not be disbanding" Nate News.
- (Korean) "SS501 to return in 2012 김형준 '내년 SS501로 찾아뵐게요'" Sport World. 20 October 2010. Retrieved 2011-11-09
- "Kim Hyun-joong's 1st Solo Album Exceeds 70,000 Pre-orders" Chosun Ilbo. 1 June 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-25
- (Japanese) "キム・ヒョンジュン、初の全国ツアー決定" Sanapo. 30 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-09
- "Kim Hyun Joong's album storms into Billboard World charts Top 5" Channel News Asia. 25 October 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-26
- (Korean) "김규종 SS501 앨범은 내년쯤 계획" Nate News. 4 December 2010. Retrieved 2011-11-09
- (Korean) "김규종 "SS501 음반은 다음해로 계획 中" 발표" Nate News. 4 December 2010. Retrieved 2011-11-09
- Hong, Lucia SS501 "Heo Young-saeng to postpone solo activities" 10 Asia. 21 April 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-31
- Kim, Heidi "SS501 Heo Young-saeng to release solo album on May 12" 10 Asia. 4 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-31
- Kim, Heidi "SS501 Kim Kyu-jong to star in musical 'Goong'" 10 Asia. 12 April 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-19
- Hong, Lucia "Kim Kyu-jong to begin solo singing career with mini-album next week" 10 Asia. 19 September 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-29
- (Japanese) "Seoul Tokyo Music Festival 2011 artist list" 9 November 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-31
- Kim, Heidi "Singer Park Jung-min takes off for fan meeting in Japan" 10 Asia. 20 December 2010. Retrieved 2011-11-19
- (Japanese) "SS501’s Hyung-jun signs with Avex, to release album in Japan キム・ヒョンジュン、待望の日本ソロ・デビュー" 22 January 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-02
- Hong, Lucia "Kim Hyung-jun reveals first solo album today" 10 Asia. 8 March 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-02
- (Korean) "SS501's Park Jung Min visits Kim Hyung Jun on his MV film set" Naver News. 27 February 2011. Retrieved 2011-22-06
- "SS501's Kim Bids Fans Teary Farewell Before Enlisting". Chosun Ilbo. 5 June 2012. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (4 June 2012). "SS501 Reunites for Kim Kyu Jong’s Last Fan Meeting Before Army Duties". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "SS501′s Kim Kyu Jong joins the army on July 23". Star News. 2 July 2012. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- Diposkan oleh Liana Wijaya (2013-01-02). "Asian Star Lovers 501: SS501 Ranked 5 on Daum Fan Café Ranking For December 2012". Lianawijaya501dream.blogspot.ca. Retrieved 2013-05-08.
- SS501. Rebirth. 2009. CD.
- SS501.U R Man. 2008. CD.
- SS501. Solo Collection. 2009. CD.
- SS501. Destination. 2010. CD.
- Rainbow. Gossip Girl. 2009. CD.
- "SS501-Jung Min peform Rainbow’s song “KISS” @ Persona in Seoul Encore" Retrieved. 2013-02-16
- Park Jung Min. Not Alone. 2011. CD.
- "[Audio] OST from 'Love Song in August' by Park Jung Min" Retrieved. 2013-02-16
- Lee Hye, Rin (19 October 2009). "SS501 Taiwan concert attracts 12,000 fans". Asiae. Retrieved 31 October 2009.
- "Classical Concerts, Big Tickets, Pop and Jazz, Plays and Musicals" Korea Times. 18 February 2010. Retrieved 2011-10-31
- "Winners from Past Years:2005Mnet. Retrieved.2013-03-05
- "Kim Hyung Jun Official Site: Awards List".SPLus Company. Retrieved. 2013-03-07
- "Kim Hyun Joong Oficial Site: Awards List".Key East Entertainment. Retrieved 2013-03-09
- .Hyung Jun Board.Retrieved.2013-03-10
- "Winners from Past Years:2006Mnet. Retrieved.2013-03-05
- "THE 22th JAPAN GOLD DISC AWARD 2008" Retrieved.2013-030-05
- "2008 Asia Song Festival" Popseoul.com. 7 October 2008. Retrieved 2009-09-30
- (Korean) Official Cyworld BGM homepage. The Winners Of 2009 Song Of The Month. Cyworld.
- (Korean) Official Cyworld BGM homepage. The Winners Of 2009 Song Of The Month. Cyworld.
- . korea.com. Retrieved 29 October 2012
- (Korean) Official Music Bank homepage. List of K-Charts. KBS. Retrieved 5 September 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: SS501|
- (Korean) SS501 DSP Media official homepage
- (Japanese) SS501's official Japanese homepage
- DSP Media official Youtube Channel