Baek Ji-young in February 2012
March 25, 1976 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Origin||Republic of Korea|
|Genres||K-pop, R&B, dance|
|Revised Romanization||Baek Ji-yeong|
Baek Ji-young began her music career in 1999, entering the Korean dance scene with her first album Sorrow. The first single, "선택" (Choice), was unusual in that it was one of the first Korean pop songs to feature Latin beats. However, this single proved to be popular and charted very well. She quickly followed this album with a second, Rouge, which came out in April 2000, selling 360,000 copies, and cementing her status as one of Korea's most popular female dance artists.
Two years after the release of Tres, Baek released her fourth album Smile in September 2003. Although not a runaway success, it managed to sell a decent number of copies, placing 46th for the year. However, her real comeback occurred in 2006, when Baek released her fifth album Smile Again in March. "사랑 안해" (I Won't Love), her first single from the album, was a ballad, unlike the rest of her Latin-style singles. Although this was a significant change, it proved to be a very popular song, getting to the top spot on certain performance show charts. This change was not a permanent one, as there were many Latin/dance tracks on the album. In fact, the second single has seen Baek going back to her musical roots, as Ez Do Dance is a sexy Latin number. She performed this single until the end of summer 2006, at which point she finished promotional activities for the album. In November 2006, Baek won Best Female Solo Singer at the MKMF Awards and was nominated for the Overseas Viewer Award.
On September 7, 2007, Baek's sixth album, The Sixth Miracle, was released, with the lead single "사랑 하나면 돼" (I Only Need One Love). She won an award for the album at the Seoul Music Awards in January 2008.
Baek underwent vocal cord surgery to remove a cyst some time in February 2008. Although there were fears that her singing voice may change, the fear of losing her voice entirely is what prompted her to go ahead with the operation.
After recuperating from her surgery, Baek returned with her seventh album, Sensibility, released on November 14, 2008. It was reported that she would come back with a dance single to showcase her strengthened voice, but instead came back with "총 맞은 것처럼" (Like Being Hit by a Bullet), a mid-tempo ballad. The single hit #1 on various online music sites and hit #1 on KBS's music program Music Bank.
On August 9, 2009, Baek signified her comeback by announcing a collaboration with 2PM member Taecyeon for the title track of her mini-album EGO called "내 귀에 캔디" (My Ear Candy). Unlike her previous songs, My Ear Candy is a pop-dance track that includes techno beats. They first performed the song on Kim Jung-eun's Chocolate, although the episode did not air until a week later after her official comeback on Show! Music Core. EGO was released on August 14, 2009. On November 21, 2009, Baek won Best Female Solo Artist at Mnet Asian Music Awards.
She collaborated with Mighty Mouth for their comeback single "사랑이 올까요" (Will Love Come), released on March 12, 2010 along with a music video. This is her second collaboration with the group; she was previously featured on their mini-album Love Class in the track Miss U, released on August 6, 2009. Her single Over Time topped various music charts on the day of its release on July 1, 2010, and Baek's greatest-hits album Timeless: The Best also sold very well.
With the success of her eighth album Pitta in 2011, music industry critics found it remarkable for a female singer in her mid-30s to continue to shine and appeal to fans in an industry dominated by teen bands.
Baek has also participated in numerous soundtracks for TV dramas, most of which have proven to be very popular, including Don't Forget for IRIS, Love Is Not a Crime for Ja Myung Go, Love and Love for Arang and the Magistrate, and Spring Rain for Gu Family Book. The most famous thus far has been That Woman from Secret Garden, which won Outstanding Korean Drama OST at the 2011 Seoul International Drama Awards. Baek said, "I love to participate in producing music for soaps if I like the female lead after reading the script. It's a thrill to hear my song played during melodramatic moments in soaps." She later released an album in 2013 titled Flash Back, a collection of the television drama soundtracks she recorded.
In 2012, Baek announced that she was releasing her first dance album in three years. She also became a judge/coach on The Voice of Korea, the local version of reality singing competition The Voice. On May 7, she released a ballad from the mini-album entitled Voice, featuring Gary from Leessang. On the 17th, her Good Boy mini-album was released, including the dance title track of the same name featuring Yong Jun-hyung of B2ST.
On February 16, 2013, Baek held her first solo concert in seven years at the Jamsil Gymnasium in Seoul, followed by a nationwide tour in March. She performed for the first time in Japan at a sold-out concert in May.
In 2000, a sex tape featuring Baek and her manager at the time, Kim Shi-won (alias Kim Seok-jin), was leaked on the internet. The video had been recorded secretly in a hotel room without Baek's knowledge, and was later used to threaten Baek when she attempted to change her contracted manager at the peak of her career. The former manager, who fled to the U.S., is currently serving time in a Los Angeles jail for charges of sex with a minor, which he also recorded on video. The scandal nearly ruined Baek's career, leading to a five-year absence from the limelight from which she only emerged in 2006.
In 2009, after suffering from a high fever and dizziness from flu and hypotension, Baek stopped a dinner concert midway. After singing her fifth song, she told the audience, "I am very sorry for being on stage despite being sick. I won't be able to continue my performance." Experts speculated that refunds cost Baek and her agency losses of nearly ₩200 million.
She and friend, singer Yuri, set up the successful online shopping business IamYuri Mall. But Baek withdrew from associating with the brand in 2012, after the Fair Trade Commission fined several celebrity-run online shopping malls for posting faked user reviews.
Man of Korea, a rights groups for men, filed an injunction against the 2012 song Good Boy, claiming the song "berates men." The group complained that in the song's lyrics, the older girlfriend "suggests that her boyfriend is as stupid as a dog and needs to be tamed...the way that the boyfriend talks back is likened to barking and biting the owner."
Baek filed suit against a local plastic surgery clinic that had used her photo for online advertising without her permission. On June 24, 2013, the Seoul Central District Court found the clinic guilty of infringing on her rights for profit, and awarded Baek damages of ₩5 million (US$4,320).
Baek married actor Jung Suk-won on June 2, 2013 at the Sheraton Grande Walkerhill. The couple began dating in 2011, and were expecting their first child. However, on June 27, 2013, it was confirmed that Baek suffered a miscarriage, four months into her pregnancy.
Special edition albums
Best & live albums
Music Show Award
These are a collection of Baek Ji-young's wins on Korea's televised music shows.
|August 20||Sad Salsa|
|2006||June 4||사랑안해 (I Won't Love)|
|2008||December 21||총맞은것처럼 (Like Being Hit by a Bullet)|
|August 10||Sad Salsa|
|2008||December 5||총 맞은 것처럼 (Like Being Hit by a Bullet)|
- "Singer Baek Ji-young: Refusing to Stand Still". The Chosun Ilbo. 5 February 2009. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "The Two Transitions of Baek Ji-young". The Chosun Ilbo. 21 September 2007. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "Shinhwa Chosen Best Korean Singer Overseas". KBS Global. 7 December 2006. Retrieved 2007-05-22.
- "서울가요대상 백지영 두 번째 본상 수상". Sportsseoul (in Korean). 31 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-16.
- "백지영, 가수생명 걸고 성대낭종 제거수술". Star News (in Korean). 18 December 2007. Retrieved 2008-01-28.
- Han, Sang-hee (11 November 2008). "Male, Female Singer Alike Returning to Fans". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
- Lee, Hye-rin (25 November 2008)."백지영 음원 1위① '싹쓸이' "농담이 현실됐다"(인터뷰)". Asia Economy (in Korean). Retrieved 2008-11-25.
- Park, Gun-wook (5 December 2008). "백지영, '뮤뱅'서 첫 정상 차지" (Baek Ji-young, Music Bank First Place). Gwangnam Ilbo (in Korean). Retrieved 2008-12-05.
- "2PM's Taecyeon to appear in Baek Ji-young's music video". 10Asia. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Han, Sang-hee (22 November 2009). "Music Awards Has Fresh Yet Disappointing Start". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-06-02.
- "Baek Ji-young Hits Double Jackpot". The Chosun Ilbo. 15 July 2010. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "Age No Barrier for Singer Baek Ji-young". The Chosun Ilbo. 11 June 2011. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Han, Sang-hee (29 June 2009). "Drama Music Is New Source for Hits". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Ho, Stewart (3 September 2012). "Baek Ji Young Sing Lee Joon Gi, Shin Min Ah's Love Theme Song for Arang and the Magistrate". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-10.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (22 April 2013). "Baek Ji Young Showers Gu Family Book with Spring Rain". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Kwon, Mee-yoo (9 January 2011). "Secret Garden soundtrack live in concert". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Hong, Lucia (1 September 2011) "Chinese series Three Kingdoms wins grand prize at Seoul Drama Awards". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "Baek Ji-young Confident She Can Keep Girl Groups at Bay". The Chosun Ilbo. 19 January 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Lee, Seong-hee (25 March 2013). "백지영 '플래시백' OST 베스트 앨범 발표". Poli News (in Korean). Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "Baek Ji-young to roll out dance album in May". 10Asia. 25 April 2012. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Sunwoo, Carla (26 April 2012). "Ballad queen Baek Ji-young to release a dance album". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Kim, Ji-yeon (19 May 2012). "Interview: Baek Ji Young, the Male Idol Killer?". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Sunwoo, Carla (2 January 2013). "Baek Ji-young to hold first solo concert in seven years". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Lee, Sun-min (7 March 2013). "Baek Ji-young will debut in Japan". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Lee, Sun-min (3 April 2013). "Ballad queen hopes for fame in Japan". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "Baek Sues Former Producer Boyfriend". The Chosun Ilbo. 29 November 2000. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- MacIntyre, Donald (25 December 2000). "Sex, Lies & the Internet". Time. Retrieved 2006-01-06.
- "Man Behind Baek Ji-young Sex Tape Held in U.S.". The Chosun Ilbo. 29 February 2008. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "Leaker of Female Singer's Sex Video in US to Be Extradited". The Korea Times. 27 September 2008. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "Baek Ji-young Smiles Again Six Years After Sex Scandal". The Chosun Ilbo. 19 May 2006. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "Baek Halts Concert". The Korea Times. 28 December 2009. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Sunwoo, Carla (24 July 2012). "Baek Ji-young exits online mall". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Sunwoo, Carla (23 May 2012). "Male rights group requests ban on Baek Ji-young's song Good Boy". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- "Baek Ji-young, Nam Kyu-ri Win Damages from Plastic Surgeons". The Chosun Ilbo. 25 June 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- Moon, Gwang-lip (3 June 2013). "Baek wants son that looks like Jung". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "Baek Ji-young, Jung Suk-won Exchange Wedding Vows". The Chosun Ilbo. 3 June 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (30 May 2013). "Baek Ji Young and Jung Seok Won Reveal Wedding Photos". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "Singer Baek Ji-young Dates Younger Actor". The Chosun Ilbo. 1 June 2011. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- Kim, Jessica (1 June 2011). "Baek Ji-young, Jung Suk-won admit to dating". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Sunwoo, Carla (24 May 2012). "Baek Ji-young in a modern day Romeo and Juliet tale, sort of". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Kim, Ji-yeon (18 April 2013). "Baek Ji Young and Jung Seok Won to Tie the Knot in June". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- "Baek Ji-young, Jung Suk-won to Wed in June". The Chosun Ilbo. 19 April 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- Lee, Sun-min (19 April 2013). "Baek Ji-young to wed Jung Suk-won". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- Kim, Ji-yeon (29 April 2013). "Baek Ji Young and Jung Seok Won to Marry on June 2". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- Jung, Min-ho (14 May 2013). "Pregnant for 9 weeks, singer Baek Ji-young to marry in June". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- Jung, Min-ho (14 May 2013). "Pregnant for 9 weeks, singer Baek Ji-young to marry in June". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- "Baek Ji-young Feels Baby Kicks Before Hearing Wedding Bells". The Chosun Ilbo. 15 May 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- Lee, Sun-min (15 May 2013). "Baek Ji-young will deliver in the fall". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- Lee, Hye-ji (27 June 2013). "Baek Ji-young has Miscarriage". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-06-28.
- "Singer Baek Ji-young suffers miscarriage". The Korea Herald. 27 June 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-28.
- Lee, Sun-min (28 June 2013). "Baek Ji-young has a miscarriage". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-06-28.
- "Baek Ji-young Distraught After Miscarriage". The Chosun Ilbo. 28 June 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-28.
|Awards and achievements|
|13th Mnet Asian Music Awards - Best Female Solo Artist