Paradis in love songs tour 2014
|Born||Vanessa Chantal Paradis
22 December 1972
Saint-Maur-des-Fossés, Val-de-Marne, France
|Occupation||Singer-songwriter, musician, actress, model|
|Partner(s)||Florent Pagny (1988-1991) Lenny Kravitz (1992-1997) Stanislas Merhar (1997-1998) Johnny Depp (1998-2012) Benjamin Biolay (2013-present)|
|Relatives||Alysson Paradis (sister)|
She became a child star at 14 with the worldwide success of her single "Joe le taxi". Since 1991, Paradis has been a spokesmodel for Chanel. She was in a relationship with actor Johnny Depp from 1998 to 2012. Vanessa's sister, Alysson Paradis, is also an actress.
Vanessa Paradis was born in Saint-Maur-des-Fossés, France, to interior designers André and Corinne Paradis. She began to develop her singing career at the age of eight when her uncle, record producer Didier Pain, helped her appear on the local television program L'École des fans, a talent show for child singers.
She recorded her first single, "La Magie des surprises-parties", in 1983 and performed it in an Italian festival in 1985. Although "La Magie des surprises-parties" was not a hit, it paved the way for the song with which she became internationally famous, "Joe le taxi", in 1987, when she was 14 years old. It was No. 1 in France for 11 weeks and, unusually for a song sung in French, was released in the United Kingdom, where it reached No. 3. It was taken from her first album M&J (it stands for Marilyn & John) which, although it gained a number 13 placing in France, drew little attention in the UK and did not enter the chart.
In March 1989, at age 16, she left high school in order to pursue her career.
She released the album Variations sur le même t'aime in 1990, containing a remake of the Lou Reed song "Walk on the Wild Side". The album was written by acclaimed French composer Serge Gainsbourg, whom she met when she received the best singer award at Les Victoires de la Musique, on 4 February 1990. In 1990, Paradis won the 1990 César Award for Most Promising Actress for her role in Noce Blanche.
In 1991, Paradis promoted the fragrance Coco for Chanel. In the advertisement, she was covered in black feathers, portraying a bird swinging in a cage. The advert was shot by Jean-Paul Goude. Paradis spoke of her continued admiration of Chanel in 2010 saying, "The more I know them, the more I love Chanel."
In 1992, she moved to the United States to work with Lenny Kravitz, whom she also dated at the time. Paradis started working on a new album in English, a language in which she was now fluent. Written and produced by Kravitz, the album, titled Vanessa Paradis, topped the French chart and briefly made the UK listings (number 45). One of the singles from it was "Be My Baby", which made number 5 in France and gave her another Top 10 hit in the UK, peaking at No. 6.
In March 1993, Paradis started her first international tour, the Natural High Tour; she performed in France, England and Canada.
In February 1994, Live was released in France.
In 1997, Paradis played in Un amour de sorcière with Jeanne Moreau and Jean Reno, before filming Une chance sur deux, with Alain Delon and Jean-Paul Belmondo. In March 1999, La fille sur le Pont, by Patrice Leconte was released. This movie was shot and released in black and white. In 2004, she promoted Chanel's new handbags called Ligne Cambon.
In 2005, she modeled for Chanel again for The New Mademoiselle handbag. In 2008, she modelled for Miu Miu.
On the musical side, she was included in the French children's album and concert Le Soldat Rose in 2006.
Paradis released a new album (Divinidylle) in 2007 which was released in the UK on 11 December (September in France). There are three versions (regular, limited edition, and the Christmas edition). She started the Divinidylle Tour in October. Some concerts were filmed and a DVD/CD of the tour was released. Paradis won two 'Les Victoires de la Musique' awards for this album in February 2008. Some of her later projects include a greatest hits CD (Best of Vanessa Paradis) which includes the commercial jingle "I love Paris in the Springtime"; she also starred in the animated film Un monstre à Paris, released in 2010.
Canadian film director Jean-Marc Vallée cast Paradis in a starring role in his film Café de Flore, in which she plays a single mother in the 1960s with a Down syndrome child. The film was released in 2011, and Paradis garnered a Genie Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role at the 2012 Genie Awards.
She released an acoustic album in November 2010 entitled Une nuit à Versailles. The album was recorded at L'Opéra of the Palace of Versailles during her Vanessa Paradis Concert Acoustique Tour. She also released a set of DVDs in 2010 called Anthologie which collected rare live performances and interviews from 1987–2007.
In 2010, she became the face of Chanel's new lipstick, Rouge Coco, and also became the face of their new handbag line Ranger.
In May 2013, Vanessa Paradis, released a new album, Love Songs, a double LP produced by French singer and producer Benjamin Biolay. The first single, Love Song, was also written by Biolay. The second single was Les espaces et les sentiments. The third single, Mi Amor, was written by BB Brunes frontman Adrien Gallo. Other people that have contributed to the songwriting of the album include Mickey 3D frontman Mickaël Furnon, Johnny Depp, Paradis herself and their daughter Lily-Rose.
From 1988 to 1991, Paradis dated French singer Florent Pagny. In 1992, she started dating Lenny Kravitz. Afterward, she dated French-Slovenian actor Stanislas Merhar, until their breakup in 1998.
From 1998 to 2012, Paradis was in a relationship with American actor Johnny Depp. They have a daughter, Lily-Rose Melody Depp (born 1999), and a son, John Christopher "Jack" Depp III (born in 2002). Rumours of a separation began surfacing as early as January 2012; until Depp's representative officially announced their breakup on 19 June 2012. Vanessa is now in a relationship with French singer Benjamin Biolay.
An excerpt from Joe Le Taxi
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
- Studio albums
- 1988: M&J
- 1990: Variations sur le même t'aime
- 1992: Vanessa Paradis
- 2000: Bliss
- 2007: Divinidylle
- 2013: Love Songs
|1989||Noce Blanche||Mathilde Tessier|
|1997||Witch Way Love||Morgane|
|1998||Pleasure (And It's Little Inconveniences)||La voix du nouvel âge (voice)|
|1998||Une chance sur deux||Alice Tomaso|
|1999||Girl on the Bridge||Adèle|
|2004||Return of James Battle, TheThe Return of James Battle||Concia|
|2005||Magic Roundabout, TheThe Magic Roundabout||Margote (voice)|
|2006||Le soldat Rose||Made in Asia||TV film|
|2007||Key, TheThe Key||Cécile|
|2010||Heartbreaker||Juliette Van Der Becq|
|2011||Monster in Paris, AA Monster in Paris||Lucille (voice)||English and French dubs|
|2011||Café de Flore||Jacqueline|
|2014||Rio, I Love You||Mulher||segment "Quando não há Mais Amor"|
|2014||Sous les jupes des filles||Rose|
Awards and nominations
|1988||"Joe le taxi"||Victoires de la Musique||
|Noce Blanche||César Award||Won|
|Herself||Prix Romy Schneider||
|Victoire de la Musique||Won|
|2000||La fille sur le pont||César Award||Nominated|
|2001||Bliss||NRJ Music Awards||
|2007||Ordre des Arts et des Lettres||
|2008||Trophée des Femmes en Or||
|"Dès que j'te vois"||NRJ Music Awards||
|Victoire de la Musique||
|Globe de Cristal||
|2009||Divinidylle Tour||Victoire de la Musique||
|Une nuit à Versailles||Globe de Cristal||Nominated|
|2012||"La Seine" (with -M-)||Victoire de la Musique||
|Café de Flore||Genie Award||Won|
|Cabourg Romantic Film Festival||
|Vancouver Film Critics Circle||Nominated|
- "Vanessa Paradis biography". Biography.com. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- Leigh (22 December 2010). "Happy Birthday, Vanessa Paradis! You’re 38 Today, December 22!". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Alysson Paradis". PurePeople.com. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
Née en 1982, la petite soeur de – la chanteuse et comédienne – Vanessa Paradis... . / Born in 1982, the little sister [of] singer and actress Vanessa Paradis... .
- "Alysson Paradis". AlloCiné. Retrieved 30 June 2012.
- "Vanessa Paradis – Joe le taxi". LesCharts.com. Retrieved 10 January 2008.
- Neel, Julia (31 May 2011). "Style File – Vanessa Paradis". Vogue. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- Frankel, Susannah (2 May 2009). "Scent of a woman: How does Chanel stay top dog in the perfume world?". The Independent (London). Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- "Living With Johnny Depp". Showbiz.sky.com. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- Boshoff, Alison. "Will Lenny ever be tamed?". Daily Mail (London). Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- 'Young Victoria' Helmer Grabs Vanessa Paradis for Next Film Cinematical. 19 May 2010
- "Monsieur Lazhar wins six Genies, including best picture". The Globe and Mail, 8 March 2011.
- "Vanessa Paradis à "L'Opéra Royal" de Versailles en 2010". Musiqueradio.com. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Vanessa Paradis 'Anthologie'". Video.fnac.com. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Vanessa Paradis 2011 Tour Dates". Vanessa-paradis.artiste.universalmusic.fr. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Vanessa Paradis et Florent Pagny" (in French). MSN. 12 June 2012. Retrieved 30 June 2012.
- "Florent Pagny parle de son ex : Vanessa Paradis n'a pas voulu faire de duo avec lui !" (in French). PurePeople.com. 25 May 2009. Retrieved 30 June 2012.
...Vanessa Paradis, avec qui il est resté trois ans de 1988 à 1991. / ...Vanessa Paradis , with whom he remained for three years from 1988 to 1991.
- Roper, Kerri-Ann (20 June 2012). "Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paradis split after 14 years". MSN. Retrieved 30 June 2012.
- J.H. (11 March 1998). "Vanessa Paradis vit un enfer" (in French). AlloCiné. Retrieved 30 June 2012.
Tout n'est pas si facile pour Vanessa Paradis. Stanislas Merhar vient de la quitter. ... [I]l a préféré mettre un terme à leur relation./ All is not so easy for Vanessa Paradis. Stanislas Merhar just left her. ... [H]e preferred to end their relationship.
- "Johnny Depp & Vanessa Paradis Officially Split". People. 19 June 2012. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Nepales, Ruben V. (10 May 2012). "Johnny Depp laments fan sites for daughter". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Johnny Depp Profile". Metacritic. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Baby boy for Depp and Paradis". BBC News. 18 September 2002. Retrieved 21 November 2008.
- "Johnny Depp & Vanessa Paradis Living 'Sad' Separate Lives". People magazine. 18 January 2012. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- Fisher, Kelly (19 June 2012). "Johnny Depp, Vanessa Paradis Split: Couple Separates After 14 Years". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vanessa Paradis.|
- Official website
- Vanessa Paradis at Universal Music
- Vanessa Paradis at AllMusic
- Vanessa Paradis at the Internet Movie Database