108 (emergency telephone number)
108 is a free telephone number for emergency services in India. It is coperational in 22 states (Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Meghalaya, Odisha, Punjab, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh) and two Union Territories (Dadra & Nagar Haveli aed medical, police and fire emergency services. This system was introduced nationwide by former Union Health Minister, Anbumani Ramadoss. In Madhya Pradesh, the 108 GVK Ambulance facility was implemented in July 2009 by Honorable Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chauhan. It was inaugurated by Health Minister Mr. Narottam Mishra. The service is a public-private partnership between state governments and private EMS providers. This 108 service was rolled out initially in Karnataka and in Andhra pradesh by Ramalinga Raju and his family. Dr.Y.S Rajashekar Reddy, who was the then Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, was the first Chief Minister to sign an agreement with EMRI to roll out the services in the state of Andhra Pradesh. With the life-saving service becoming so popular in the rural parts of combined Andhra Pradesh, the (108) system was later introduced by the Central government of India in other parts of India. The system was originally designed by Satyam Infotech. As of November 2014[update], this service had handled over 540,000 emergency cases in India. On an iOS device, "Hey Siri, 108" command to Siri will place an emergency call.
108 Ambulance Service was first envisioned by a retired doctor and former director of the Andhra Pradesh Handicapped Department. Dr. A.P. Ranga Rao whose hailed as the man behind the idea of India's first emergency ambulance service 108. 
How it works
When an emergency is reported through 108, the call taker gathers the needed basic information and dispatches appropriate services. Basic information obtained includes:
- Where the call is placed from. ( district / taluka /city / town / exact location / landmark )
- The type of emergency.
- Number of people injured and the condition of the injured.
- The caller's name and contact number – for location guidance if required.
Emergency help dispatched through this process is expected to reach the site of the emergency in an average of 18 minutes. Pre-hospital care will be given to patients being transported to the nearest hospital.
- "Anbumani Ramadoss, 40 Minister of Health & Family Welfare". The Indian Express (May 21, 2009)
- https://medicalreportertoday.com/dr-ap-ranga-rao-the-man-who-gave-108-ambulance-services-passed-away/ and Hindu article https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/telangana/dr-ap-ranga-rao-dead/article23550409.ece
- "Emergency Management and Research Institute | GVK EMRI". www.emri.in. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
https://medicalreportertoday.com/dr-ap-ranga-rao-the-man-who-gave-108-ambulance-services-passed-away/ and Hindu article https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/telangana/dr-ap-ranga-rao-dead/article23550409.ece (The man who conceptualised 108 and his life)