1996 Portuguese Grand Prix
|1996 Portuguese Grand Prix|
|Race 15 of 16 in the 1996 Formula One World Championship|
|Date||22 September 1996|
|Official name||XXV Grande Prémio de Portugal|
|Location||Autódromo do Estoril in Estoril, Portugal|
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||4.360 km (2.725 mi)|
|Distance||71 laps, 309.560 km (193.475 mi)|
|Weather||Mostly sunny with ambient temperatures reaching 25 °C during the day.|
|Time||1:22.873 on lap 37|
The 1996 Portuguese Grand Prix was a Formula One motor race held on 22 September 1996 at Autódromo do Estoril in Estoril, Portugal. It was the 15th and penultimate race of the 1996 Formula One season.
Williams' Jacques Villeneuve won the race from team-mate Damon Hill and Ferrari's Michael Schumacher, having overtaken the latter on the outside of the final corner while the two were lapping the slow-moving back-marking Minardi of Giovanni Lavaggi (who at the time was described by BBC TV commentator Jonathan Palmer as "desperately slow" and "there because of his money"). This victory, Villeneuve's fourth of the season, ensured that the Drivers' Championship battle between him and Hill went to the final round in Japan three weeks later.
Benetton's Jean Alesi finished fourth, just behind Schumacher, while Eddie Irvine in the second Ferrari and Gerhard Berger in the second Benetton survived a last-lap collision to take fifth and sixth respectively.
To date, this Portuguese Grand Prix was the last to be held. Though the event was on the 1997 calendar, it was cancelled as renovation work at Estoril could not be completed in time. This was also the last one-two finish for Williams until the 2002 Malaysian Grand Prix.
Championship standings after the race
- Bold text indicates who still has a theoretical chance of becoming World Champion.
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- "F1 News – Grandprix.com > GP Encyclopedia > Races > Portuguese GP, 1996". Grandprix.com. Retrieved 2013-04-18.
- "1996 Portuguese Grand Prix". formula1.com. Archived from the original on 1 November 2014. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "Portugal 1996 - Championship • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 20 March 2019.
1996 Italian Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
1996 Japanese Grand Prix
1995 Portuguese Grand Prix
|Portuguese Grand Prix||Next race:|