2017 Winter Universiade
28th Winter Universiade logo
|Host city||Almaty, Kazakhstan|
|Opening ceremony||29 January 2017|
|Closing ceremony||8 February 2017|
|Officially opened by||Nursultan Nazarbayev|
|Athlete's Oath||Aiza Mambekova|
|Judge's Oath||Askar Valiyev|
|Torch lighter||16 well known Kazakh athletes|
|Main venue||Almaty Ice Palace|
Winter Universiade 2017, the XXVIII Winter Universiade, was an multi-sport winter event which took place in Almaty, Kazakhstan in January and February 2017. On 29 November 2011, FISU announced that Winter Universiade 2017 would be hosted in Almaty.
Student-athletes from all over the world between the ages of 17 and 28 arrived in Almaty to take part in Winter Universiade organized by FISU.
There were two candidates to host the event.
- Almaty. This is the third time that a former soviet country has hosted the Winter Universiade. Russia hosted two times the Summer Universiade – Moscow (1973), Kazan (2013) and will host the Winter Universiade two years later in Krasnoyarsk.
- Trentino, Italy. Until 2011, Italy hosted the Universiade 9 times (4 Summer Universiades and 5 Winter Universiades). A week before the announcement of results of the bidding campaign, in connection with the economic crisis, the Italian government decided to withdraw its candidacy.
«Given the difficult economic situation in Italy and the high financial obligations to the International Federation for the moment, the Council of the Autonomous Province of Trento sees no possibility to raise funds for the Universiade in 2017 and therefore removes the candidature of the city.»
Formal decision on the Universiade in Almaty was taken on a vote of the International University Sports Federation (FISU) on November 29, 2011, which was held in Brussels (Belgium).
Thus, due to the lack of competitors, Almaty was declared the host city of the 28th Winter Universiade in 2017.
Earlier it was reported that Kazakhstan would spend $950 million on Winter Universiade 2017. An Ice Palace, two ice rinks, an Athletic Village and international airport terminal and many more other sport and non-sport venues were to be built in Almaty for the event. The cost is considered small, and it is because some of the objects had already been built for the 7th Asian Winter Games, part of the competition which also took place in Almaty, and certain existing and remodeled venues. Kazakhstan chose bandy, ski jumping, Nordic combined, freestyle skiing and speed skating as optional sports, with bandy being in the form of demonstration. However, after tightening the budget, bandy was removed.
|Almaty Ice Palace||Ice hockey||12,000|
|Ak-Bulak Ice Rink||Curling||5,000|
|Medeu Alpine Ice Arena||Speed skating||25,000|
|Shymbulak Alpine Sport Resort||Alpine skiing||10,000|
|Sunkar International Ski Jumping Complex||Ski jumping, Nordic combined||20,000|
|Alatau Biathlon and Cross-Country Ski Complex||Biathlon, Cross-country skiing||12,600|
|Tabagan Alpine Resort and CSKA Alpine Base||Freestyle skiing, Snowboarding||12,000|
The competition schedule for the 2017 Winter Universiade is shown as follows: The opening ceremony of the 28th Winter Universiade was held on 29 January 2017. A total of 1,604 athletes from 56 countries arrived in Almaty to compete in 85 events and 12 types of sports.
|OC||Opening ceremony||1||Event finals||CC||Closing ceremony||●||Event competitions||EG||Exhibition gala|
|Short track speed skating||2||2||4||8|
On January 17, it was announced the cancellation of pairs competition in the figure skating due to the low number of entrants. Only two pairs from Russia were registered in the event, which forced the cancellation of the same, according to the rules of FISU.
56 national university sports federations sent a total of 1,604 athletes. The numbers in parenthesis represent the number of participants. The International University Sports Federation (FISU) declared there were no positive doping cases at the 28th Winter Universiade.
- Afghanistan (1)
- Andorra (1)
- Argentina (2)
- Armenia (1)
- Australia (7)
- Austria (19)
- Azerbaijan (1)
- Belarus (23)
- Belgium (4)
- Brazil (1)
- Bulgaria (3)
- Canada (88)
- Chile (3)
- China (114)
- Czech Republic (71)
- Estonia (9)
- Finland (17)
- France (38)
- Georgia (8)
- Germany (31)
- Great Britain (63)
- Greece (1)
- Hong Kong (1)
- Hungary (2)
- Iran (3)
- Italy (35)
- Japan (110)
- Kazakhstan (162) (host)
- Kyrgyzstan (9)
- Latvia (26)
- Lebanon (6)
- Lithuania (6)
- Malaysia (1)
- Mexico (2)
- Mongolia (10)
- Morocco (2)
- Netherlands (20)
- New Zealand (1)
- Norway (19)
- Paraguay (1)
- Poland (62)
- Romania (3)
- Russia (210)
- Serbia (6)
- Slovakia (42)
- Slovenia (13)
- South Korea (98)
- Sweden (50)
- Switzerland (35)
- Chinese Taipei (3)
- Tajikistan (4)
- Thailand (1)
- Turkey (20)
- Uganda (1)
- Ukraine (59)
- United States (73)
- Uzbekistan (3)
|3||South Korea (KOR)||11||5||5||21|
|11||Czech Republic (CZE)||2||2||5||9|
|14||Great Britain (GBR)||1||0||0||1|
|23||United States (USA)||0||1||1||2|
|Totals (26 nations)||85||85||85||255|
Logo of the Winter Universiade 2017
The logo of the Winter Universiade 2017 was created considering the following images:
- Letter "U" – is an essential attribute of all Universiade logos
- Wings – symbolizes the aspiration to win
The logo was created in bright and soft colors that emphasize the modernity and the eco-friendly approach, which is one of the most important elements of the general concept of the Games.
- Almaty officially announced capital of Winter Universiade-2017. tengrinews.kz ()
- "Universiade History". almaty2017.com.
- "NEWS". www.fisu.net. Archived from the original on 2012-07-31. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- Asian Winter Games at Olympic.cn, see Sports arenas Asian Winter Games in 2011
- "Universiade 2017" (PDF). almaty2017.com. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- "Almaty 2017: Results". almaty2017.com. Archived from the original on 2017-06-21. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- "28th Winter Universiade declared open in dazzling show". inform.kz.
- "2017 Almaty Winter Universiade: Dates confirmed". fisu.net. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- "Pairs figure skating competition removed from Almaty 2017 schedule". Inside the Games. Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- "Winter Universiade 2017 Participating Athlete List | Universiade 2017". almaty2017.com. Retrieved 2017-01-28.
- "Doping Control at the Almaty 2017 Winter Universiade". Eurosport. 2017-04-12. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2017 Winter Universiade.|