2019 Summer Universiade
|Nations participating||210 -|
|Opening ceremony||19 July|
|Closing ceremony||30 July|
|Officially opened by||-|
|Main venue||Stadio San Paolo|
The 2019 Summer Universiade, the XXX Summer Universiade, will be organised in Naples, Italy, in August 2019. It was initially scheduled for Brasília, Brazil in July 2019. This would be the second time Brazil would host the event. This also marked the second time the event would be held in the Southern Hemisphere and during the winter in the host city. Brazil hosted the event for the first time in Porto Alegre in 1963.
However, on December 23, 2014 it was confirmed that Brasília pull out of hosting the event citing financial problems. International University Sports Federation decided to reopen the bidding process after the withdrawal.
On 14 June 2012, the Brazilian Minister of Sports, Aldo Rebelo, and the president of CBDU (Confederação Brasileira do Desporto Universitário), Luciano Cabral announced that after the failed bidding of the 2017 they will bid again for the Summer Universiade. Brazil's capital Brasília was appointed as the bid city again after it lost the 2017 Summer Universiade to Taipei. Brazil hosted the Summer Universiade just one time in 1963 in Porto Alegre.
On 11 December 2012, Azad Rahimov, the Youth and Sports Minister of Azerbaijan, announced that after the country wins the bid for the first European Games. Is a first time which Azerbaijan puts a bid for the Universiade, where Baku will represent the country as bid city.
On 31 January 2013, Miklós Tóth, the vice-chairman of Hungarian Olympic Committee, announced that Hungary will make a bid for the 2019 or 2021 Summer Universiade with the aid of Alfréd Hajós Plan (Hajós Alfréd Terv). Budapest hosted the 1965 Summer Universiade and confirmed as bid city on 19 February 2013.
On 3 April 2013, FISU, officially confirmed three candidate cities:
On 31 October 2013, Baku officially withdraw for the 2019 Summer Universiade, citting the fact with the city will be busy of sporting events in the períod of 2015–2017. On 8 October 2013, Budapest withdraw because the city can not afford the costs of the event, leaving Brasilia as the only bidding city. On 9 November 2013, FISU attributed Brasilia as host city of the 2019 Summer Universiade. On 5 March 2016, FISU reattributed the 2019 Universiade to Naples, Italy.
- "Brasilia pull out of hosting 2019 Summer Universiade". insidethegames.biz.
- "Bidding process for 2019 Summer Universiade reopened after Brasilia's withdrawal". insidethegames.biz.
- "Brasil terá candidatura para sediar Universíade de 2019". AE - Agência Estado (in Portuguese). estadao.com.br. 2012-06-15. Retrieved 2013-02-09.
- "FISU Delegates visit Brazil". CBDU. FISU.net. 2012-12-07. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "Azerbaijan to bid to host the Summer Universiade-2019". news.az. 2012-12-11. Retrieved 2013-02-02.
- "Baku intents to bid for 2019 Summer Universiade". FISU. FISU.net. 2013-02-19. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "Kötelező lesz a testnevelés az egyetemeken is". MTI (in Hungarian). index.hu. 2013-01-31. Retrieved 2013-02-01.
- "Budapest added to list of intentional bidders for 2019 SU". FISU. FISU.net. 2013-03-19. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "Candidate cities for 2019 Summer and Winter Universiade unveiled". gamesbids. gamesbids. 2013-04-03. Retrieved 2013-04-03.
- "Baku postprones Bid for 2019 Summer Universiade". FISU. FISU.net. 2013-10-31. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Exclusive: Budapest withdrawal leaves Brasilia as only candidate for 2019 Summer Universiade". Inside The Games.biz. insidethegames.biz. 2013-08-11. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- "Attribution of the 2019 Winter and Summer Universiades". FISU. FISU.net. 2013-11-09. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
|This article about a sporting event is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|