|Comune di Baronissi|
Panoramic view of Baronissi
Baronissi within the Province of Salerno and Campania
|Frazioni||Acquamela, Aiello, Antessano, Capo Saragnano, Caprecano, Casal Barone, Casal Siniscalco, Fusara, Orignano, Saragnano, Sava|
|• Mayor||Gianfranco Valiante
(since June 2014)
|• Total||17 km2 (7 sq mi)|
|Elevation||260 m (850 ft)|
|• Density||990/km2 (2,600/sq mi)|
|Demonym(s)||Baroniensi or Baronissesi|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||St. Francis of Assisi|
|Saint day||4 October|
The town develops from the original old area named Casali.
The town is situated 7 km north of Salerno and it is 35 km from Avellino. The bordering municipalities are Castiglione del Genovesi, Cava de' Tirreni, Fisciano, Mercato San Severino, Pellezzano and Salerno.
- Convent of the Holy Trinity, 13th century
- Villa Farina, 19th century
- Roman villa of Sava, 1st century AD
- Church of the Holy Savior, in Saragnano
The municipality has two train stations (Baronissi, in town's center, and Acquamela, in the homonym village), both on the line Salermo-Mercato San Severino. It is also served by the motorway RA 2 Salerno-Avellino, at the exits "Baronissi Sud" and "Lancusi-Baronissi Nord".
- Diego Campanile (1574–1642), Catholic Guardian of Holy Land
- Fortunato Maria Farina (1881–1954), Catholic Archbishop
- Jack Hirschman (b. 1933) American poet, honourable citizen from 13 December 2008
Notes and references
- (in Italian) Source: Istat 2011
- 40722 Baronissi on OpenStreetMap
- (in Italian) The frazioni of Baronissi: info and history
- (in Italian) Article Archived 18 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine. on the Corriere della Sera
- (in Italian) Article on casadellapoesia.org Archived 25 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- (in Italian) Tenth anniversary of the twinnage with Portes-lès-Valence (Comune of Baronissi)]
- (in French) The twinnage with Baronissi (Commune of Porte-lès-Valence)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Baronissi.|