ASEAN Common Time
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: needs additional citations and clarification of statments (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
ASEAN Common Time is an idea proposed by the Association of Southeast Asian Nations to adopt a standard time of UTC+08:00 for all member countries. Some regional businesses have already begun adopting the phrase "ASEAN Common Time," and often use the abbreviation ACT in their press releases, communications, and legal documents.
But some commentators[according to whom?] suggest using UTC+07:00 instead, as UTC+08:00 would create problems in the Kachin State of Myanmar during summer months, with a late sunrise taking place at 07:20 and a late sunset at 20:45. Other experts[according to whom?] advocate calling UTC+08:00 ASEAN Central Time, putting Myanmar at UTC+07:00, and leaving less populous eastern Indonesia at UTC+09:00.
This would result in the vast majority of the region's people and territory lining up at UTC+08:00—in sync with China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, and Western Australia. The eastern islands of Indonesia would remain at UTC+09:00—in sync with South Korea, Japan, Palau, and East Timor.
The four different time zones currently used by ASEAN countries are UTC+06:30 (Myanmar); UTC+07:00 (Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam, and western Indonesia); UTC+08:00 (Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei, Philippines, and central Indonesia); and UTC+09:00 (eastern Indonesia).
"The idea has since been under discussion by ASEAN, with Singapore supporting it strongly." 
- "Press Statement The First Informal ASEAN Heads of Government Meeting Jakarta" (Press release). 30 November 1996.
- "Joint Communique of The 29th ASEAN Ministerial Meeting (AMM) Jakarta, 1996-07-20/21".
- Abdullah Ahmad Badawi (7 August 2004). "Towards an ASEAN Community" (speech).
- "Hatta : Penyatuan Zona Waktu Tidak Batal". economy.okezone.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- "Association of Southeast Asian Nations · ASEAN Anthem". Aseansec.org. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=437&dat=19961201&id=3hYuAAAAIBAJ&sjid=zjADAAAAIBAJ&pg=2560,68698[permanent dead link]
- [dead link]