Against Malaria Foundation
|Sub-Saharan Africa, Papua New Guinea|
The Against Malaria Foundation (AMF) is a United-Kingdom based charity that provides long-lasting insecticidal nets (LLINs) to populations at high risk of malaria, primarily in Africa. As of December 2021, the foundation has raised $425 million, and distributed or committed to fund more than 137 million LLINs since its founding in 2004. By the end of 2021, the organization had completed the distribution of 36.3 million nets to protect 65.3 million people in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Togo and Uganda.
Nets are distributed through partnerships with the International Red Cross, the Malaria Consortium, and others, with partners responsible for the costs of distribution. Distributions include malaria education for the local population, and they are documented through reports, photos, and video. Post-distribution check-ups are carried out 6, 12, 18, 24, and 30 months to assess net usage and conditions.: 4
AMF has eight trustees and an advisory committee drawn from malaria experts around the world. The charity is registered in the United Kingdom and governed by the laws of England and Wales. It is also registered in the US, Germany, Canada, Japan, and other countries.
The World Swim Against Malaria was the brainchild of Rob Mather, a London-based strategy consultant. Mather had earlier organized a swim to raise money for a two-year-old girl who was badly burned in a house fire. Held in December 2003, the "Swim for Terri" started as a three-person fundraiser and grew to include 10,000 swimmers in 73 countries.
AMF is rated as a highly cost-effective charity by GiveWell. AMF was chosen as one of GiveWell's two highest-recommended charities (along with the Schistosomiasis Control Initiative) in 2011 and has continued to be recommended by GiveWell since then. GiveWell estimates that AMF's bed net program costs about US$3000–5000 per life saved.
Partners and supporters
AMF is supported by more than 100 corporations. AMF's founding partners are PwC, Citigroup, Speedo, Microsoft, Allen & Overy, Attenda, Vestergaard Frandsen, and Sumitomo Chemical. Speedo also partnered with AMF's precursor organization, World Swim Against Malaria, and continues to raise money for bednets through swimming events.
- "History". Against Malaria Foundation. Retrieved February 19, 2017.
- "THE AGAINST MALARIA FOUNDATION - Charity 1105319". register-of-charities.charitycommission.gov.uk. Retrieved 12 February 2021.
- "Against Malaria: 2021 Round up and update - Thank you for your support!".
- How we work with Distribution Partners, Against Malaria Foundation. This document is shared with potential distribution partners
- "A conversation with Rob Mather and Peter Sherratt, September 9, 2015" (PDF). GiveWell. September 9, 2015. Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- "Trustees". Against Malaria Foundation. Retrieved 8 March 2021.
- "Malaria Advisory Group". Against Malaria Foundation. Retrieved 8 March 2021.
- "Registered Charity Status". Against Malaria Foundation. Retrieved 8 March 2021.
- "homepage". Swim for Terri.
- "FAQ". World Swim Against Malaria. Archived from the original on 18 February 2013. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- Thompson, Derek (15 June 2015). "The Most Efficient Way to Save a Life". The Atlantic. The Atlantic Monthly Group. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- Matthews, Dylan (24 April 2015). "You have $8 billion. You want to do as much good as possible. What do you do?". Vox. Vox Media, Inc. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- "Our Top Charities". GiveWell. Retrieved 12 February 2021.
- Fenwick, Alan (1 May 2017). "Schistosomiasis research and control since the retirement of Sir Patrick Manson in 1914". Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. 111 (5): 191–198. doi:10.1093/trstmh/trx036. PMC 5914372. PMID 28957468. Retrieved 12 February 2021.
- Singer, Peter (2019). "Chapter 6". The Life You Can Save (10th anniversary ed.). Bainbridge Island, WA. ISBN 9781733672719.
- "Pro bono support". Against Malaria Foundation. Retrieved 8 March 2021.
- "Speedo World Swim". Against Malaria Foundation. Archived from the original on 18 June 2013. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- "Distribution Partners". Against Malaria Foundation. Retrieved 8 March 2021.
- Official website
- "Against Malaria Foundation, registered charity no. 1105319". Charity Commission for England and Wales.
- World Swim Against Malaria
- Against Malaria Foundation GiveWell's assessment of the Against Malaria Foundation. Includes extensive details about the organization's administration, funding, transparency, and effectiveness.
- The Life You Can Save Website for Peter Singer's book The Life You Can Save
- Against Malaria Foundation Ntcheu case study Giving What We Can's an account of AMF's distribution in Ntcheu, Malawi, including details of AMF's guiding principles and methodology