Against Malaria Foundation
The Against Malaria Foundation (AMF) is a United Kingdom-based charity that provides long-lasting insecticidal nets (LLINs) to populations at high risk of malaria, primarily in Africa. As of April 2019[update], the foundation has raised $197 million and distributed or committed to fund 90 million LLINs since its founding in 2004.
Nets are distributed through partnerships with the International Red Cross, the Malaria Consortium, and others, with partners responsible for the costs of distribution. Distributions include malaria education for the local population, and they are documented through reports, photos, and video. Post-distribution check-ups are carried out 6, 12, 18, 24, and 30 months to assess net usage and conditions.:4
AMF has eight trustees and an advisory committee drawn from malaria experts around the world. The charity is registered in the United Kingdom and governed by the laws of England and Wales. It is also registered in the USA, Germany, Canada, Japan, and other countries.
The World Swim Against Malaria was the brainchild of Rob Mather, a London-based strategy consultant. Mather had earlier organized a swim to raise money for a 2-year-old girl who was badly burned in a house fire. Held in December 2003, the "Swim for Terri" started as a three-person fundraiser and grew to include 10,000 swimmers in 73 countries.
Partners and supporters
AMF is supported by more than 100 corporations. AMF's principal partners are PwC, Citigroup, Speedo, Microsoft, Allen & Overy, Attenda, Vestergaard Frandsen, and Sumitomo Chemical. Speedo also partnered with AMF's precursor organization, World Swim Against Malaria, and continues to raise money for bednets through swimming events.
AMF's principal distribution partners are Population Services International, the Malaria Consortium, Partners In Health, the Red Cross, World Vision, and Concern Universal. Sixty organizations fundraise for bednets using AMF's website or their own.
- "History". Against Malaria Foundation. Retrieved February 19, 2017.
- "People". The Against Malaria Foundation. Retrieved July 15, 2016.
- "AMF's Charity Commission profile". Charity Commission. Retrieved 12 August 2011.[permanent dead link]
- "Website Donation Milestones page". Against Malaria Foundation. 1 April 2019. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
Running counter on website
- "Against Malaria - Net Distributions, World". Against Malaria Foundation. 8 April 2019. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
Running counter on website
- How we work with Distribution Partners, Against Malaria Foundation. This document is shared with potential distribution partners
- "A conversation with Rob Mather and Peter Sherratt, September 9, 2015" (PDF). GiveWell. September 9, 2015. Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- "Malaria Advisory Group". Against Malaria Foundation. Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- "About Us: Charity Status". Against Malaria Foundation. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- "homepage". Swim for Terri.
- "FAQ". World Swim Against Malaria. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- "Update to donors with as yet allocated donations". Against Malaria Foundation.
- Thompson, Derek. "The Most Efficient Way to Save a Life". The Atlantic. The Atlantic Monthly Group. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- Matthews, Dylan (24 April 2015). "You have $8 billion. You want to do as much good as possible. What do you do?". Vox. Vox Media, Inc. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- "People to Thank page". Against Malaria Foundation. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- "Speedo World Swim". Against Malaria Foundation. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- "Distribution Partners". Against Malaria Foundation. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- "Sponsors and Donors". Against Malaria Foundation. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- Official website
- Charity Commission. Against Malaria Foundation, registered charity no. 1105319.
- World Swim Against Malaria
- Against Malaria Foundation GiveWell's assessment of the Against Malaria Foundation. Includes extensive details about the organization's administration, funding, transparency and effectiveness.
- The Life You Can Save Website for Peter Singer's book The Life You Can Save
- Against Malaria Foundation Ntcheu case study Giving What We Can's account of AMF's distribution in Ntcheu, Malawi, including details of AMF's guiding principles and methodology