Agencia Espacial Mexicana
Logo of the AEM
|Established||July 31, 2010|
|Headquarters||Mexico City, Mexico (Secretariat of Communications and Transportation)|
|Administrator||Francisco Javier Mendieta|
|Budget||MXN$103.96 million (2014)|
The Mexican Space Agency (Spanish: Agencia Espacial Mexicana, AEM) is the national space agency of Mexico, established in July 2010. The agency does not have infrastructure, and aims to promote and coordinate education, research and development of the space-related activities that are performed in the country.
The direct antecedent of the agency is the Comisión Nacional del Espacio Exterior (CONEE) (English: National Commission of Outer Space), an office created by Presidential decree on August 31, 1962, and attached to the Secretariat of Communications and Transportation which conducted experiments in rocketry, telecommunications and atmospheric studies from 1962 to 1976. After its dissolution by Presidential decree, on November 3, 1977, some activities were financed by the extinct Instituto Mexicano de Comunicaciones (Mexican Communications Institute) (transformed into the current Comisión Federal de Telecomunicaciones), by Satmex - then a state-owned company - and some higher education institutions, such as the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, the Instituto Politécnico Nacional, the Instituto Nacional de Astrofísica, Óptica y Electrónica, the Centro de Investigación Científica y de Educación Superior de Ensenada and the CINVESTAV.
Presentation at Congress
The bill for the foundation of a formal space agency, was originally conceived by José Luis Garcia and Fernando de la Peña. It was reviewed by Gianfranco Bissiacchi, José Hernández, Rodolfo Neri Vela among others. It was then submitted.
The developers presented a bill to Congress whose main purpose was, according to Fernando de la Peña, promote private investment and facilitate the creation of multinational aerospace companies in the state of Hidalgo.
Submission to the Senate
The protests and concerns of some sectors that were unhappy with not being considered before being presented to the Chamber of Deputies to be voted. For this reason, the PRD Senator and president of the Committee on Science and Technology of the Senate, Francisco Javier Castellón Fonseca, requested the organization of forums to identify any concerns and disagreements. Afterwards the 'Grupo Promotor de la Agencia Espacial Mexicana' was created and coordinated by the Academia de Ingeniería (English: Engineering Academy) made a new initiative of law for the Mexican Congress. To this proposal some comments where included, (particularly from the Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnología, and the Consejo Consultivo de Ciencias de la Presidencia de la República (Science Advisory Board of the Presidency of the Republic). The new initiative ended up being adopted by the Senate unanimously on November 4, 2008 and returned to the chamber of origin to be turned over to the committees on science and technology, legislative studies second, and budget and public accounts to undergo a second analysis and ballot.
The law that creates the agency was published by the President Felipe Calderón on July 30, 2010 and as the law itself states, it came into force on July 31, 2010. The first governing board was established on 7 September 2010. The board organised a series of forums with space experts to outline a space policy, that was published on 13 July 2011. On 1 November 2011 Francisco Javier Mendieta Jiménez was appointed as Director General. In 2012, funding was secured for an educational satellite.
The agency is in its early stages of identifying and defining needs and objectives. It is currently holding forums to develop clear goals and strategies, especially in the aerospace industry sector.
- Semblanza del Director General: Doctor Francisco Javier Mendieta Jiménez. AEM.
- "Ciencia y Tecnología". Agencia Espacial Mexicana (in Spanish). Retrieved 2016-04-05.
- "Las Actividades Espaciales en Mexico" (in Spanish).
- "Jiménez urge votos para Manjarrez" (in Spanish).
- "Agencia Espacial Mexicana, una realidad" (in Spanish).
- Arvizu, Juan. "Crean diputados Agencia Espacial Mexicana". El Universal (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 23 April 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-20.
- Héctor Guerrero. "Tendrá México su agencia espacial" (in Spanish). Noticieros Televisa.
- "Una Agencia Espacial Mexicana" (in Spanish).
- "Aprueba Senado Ley para Agencia Espacial Mexicana" (in Spanish).
- "Decreto por el que se expide la Ley que crea la Agencia Espacial Mexicana". Diario Oficial de la Federación (in Spanish). Diario Oficial de la Federación, Secretaría de Gobernación. July 30, 2010. Archived from the original on 6 August 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-31.
- "Google Translate". google.com.
- "Mexican congressman gets funding for educational satellite". Fox News Latino.
- Desarrollo Industrial. AEM. 2016.
- "Puerto Vallarta Will Host Mexico’s Space Agency Forum".