Ali Abbas Zafar
|Ali Abbas Zafar|
|Born||Ali Abbas Zafar|
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, assistant director|
|Known for||Sultan, Tiger Zinda Hai|
Ali Abbas Zafar is an Indian film director and screenwriter. He achieved moderate success for his debut film, the romantic comedy Mere Brother Ki Dulhan (2011). He then went on direct the action drama Gunday (2014). He received widespread recognition for the sports drama Sultan (2016), which ranks among the highest-grossing Indian films. He then achieved bigger success directing the action thriller Tiger Zinda Hai (2017).
Zafar entered the film industry as an assistant director, including on multiple projects for the production company Yash Raj Films (YRF). He then made his own directorial and screen-writing debut with the romantic comedy Mere Brother Ki Dulhan (2011). The film revolved around a young man (Imran Khan) who finds a bride (Katrina Kaif) for his older brother (Ali Zafar), but then finds that he himself has fallen in love with her.
His next film was the action drama Gunday (2014), set in Calcutta in the 1970s and 1980s. The film starred Ranveer Singh and Arjun Kapoor as powerful bandits, Priyanka Chopra as a cabaret dancer whom they both fall in love with, and Irrfan Khan as a police officer pursuing them. Both Mere Brother Ki Dulhan and Gunday were successful at the box office and received positive reviews from critics.
Zafar's next film was the blockbuster sports drama Sultan (2016) starring Salman Khan as a wrestling champion from Haryana, with Anushka Sharma as a female wrestler who becomes a love interest for Khan's character. The film received positive reviews from critics and has emerged as one of the highest-grossing Indian films.
His next film is the action thriller Tiger Zinda Hai (2017) the sequel to YRF's Ek Tha Tiger (2012). The film stars Salman Khan as a RAW agent and Katrina Kaif as an ISI spy reprising their roles from the first film and is about the both of them accepting a rescue mission to free 40 nurses,25 Indian and 15 Pakistan from a ruthless militant. The film released in December 2017 and received generally positive reviews from critics, and became a major commercial success emerging as the highest-grossing films of the year and one of the highest-grossing Indian films.
In May 2018, he began pre-production of the film Bharat, which is slated to be released on Eid, 2019. It stars Salman Khan, Katrina Kaif, Disha Patani, Sunil Grover and Tabu (actress), and is an official adaptation of the Korean film, Ode to My Father.It marks the third collaboration between Khan and Ali.
|2007||Jhoom Barabar Jhoom||Yes|
|2011||Mere Brother Ki Dulhan||Yes||Yes|
|2017||Tiger Zinda Hai||Yes||Yes|
Frequent actor collaborations
Mere Brother Ki Dulhan
Tiger Zinda Hai
|Anant Vidhaat Sharma||4|
Awards and nominations
|Mirchi Music Awards|
|2014||Album of The Year||Gunday||Nominated|||
- Kapoor, Jaskiran (13 October 2010). "Director's Cut". Indian Express. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- IANS (16 October 2012). "Priyanka Chopra joins 'Gunday' gang". Mid Day. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- Iti Shree Misra (24 August 2012). "Ali Abbas and Yash Raj team up again". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- "Tiger Zinda Hai first look: Salman Khan, Katrina Kaif are back in this thriller". The Indian Express. 14 September 2016. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "'Bharat': Director Ali Abbas Zafar gives us a sneak peek from the first day of the film's shoot - Bollywood celebs' Instagram pics you should not miss! - The Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- "MMA Mirchi Music Awards". MMAMirchiMusicAwards. Retrieved 2018-03-27.