The Church of Sainte-Radegonde
|• Mayor (2014-2020)||Daniel Avoine|
|7.07 km2 (2.73 sq mi)|
|• Density||33/km2 (86/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||33–81 m (108–266 ft) |
(avg. 40 m or 130 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Arganchois or Arganchoises 
Arganchy is located in the area of Bessin in the valley of the Gourguichon Stream some 6.5 km south-west of Bayeux and 7 km north-east of Castillon. Access to the commune is by the D192 road from Subles in the west passing through the commune north of the village and continuing east to join National Highway N13 east of Monceaux-en-Bessin. The village is reached by the country road L'Eglise running off the D192. The D572 highway runs through the north-western corner of the commune with an exit onto the D192 at Subles. Apart from the village there are also the hamlets of La Mauvielle, Saint-Amator, La Petite Flague, and Les Feffes in the commune. The commune is entirely farmland.
The name Arganchy appears as Archenceium in 1198.
In 1829 Arganchy (with 285 inhabitants in 1821) absorbed Saint-Amator (with 52 inhabitants) east of its territory.
List of Successive Mayors
(Not all data is known)
The council is composed of eleven members including the mayor and two deputy mayors.
At a place called La Grande Abbaye there is a natural camping ground.
Sites and Monuments
- The Parish church of Saint-Radegonde dates from the 17th century. It contains three items which are registered as historical objects:
- A Lavoir (Public laundry): a concert venue (for the choir).
- La Forte Main, north of Saint-Amator, where counterfeit coins were once made.
- Arganchy on Lion1906
- Arganchy on Google Maps
- Arganchy on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (in French)
- Arganchy on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Arganchy on the INSEE website (in French)
- INSEE (in French)
Notes and references
- "Populations légales 2016". INSEE. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- Inhabitants of Calvados (in French)
- Google Maps
- Albert Dauzat and Charles Rostaing, Etymylogical Dictionary of place names in France, Larousse, Paris, 1963 (in French)
- René Lepelley, Etymological Dictionary of commune names in Normandy, Éditions Charles Corlet, Condé-sur-Noireau, 1996, ISBN 978-2-905461-80-3, p. 50 (in French)
- Communal Notices - Arganchy, and Saint-Amator pages consulted on 10 October 2009 (in French).
- List of Mayors of France (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM14000088 Tabernacle (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM14000010 Retable (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM14000009 Altar, Tabernacle, and Retable (in French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arganchy.|