Bill Kreutzmann (left) and Scott Murawski (right) performing with BK3 in New Haven, CT
|Also known as||Bill Kreutzmann Trio, Three, KBM|
|Associated acts||Grateful Dead, Rhythm Devils, 7 Walkers, Max Creek, Allman Brothers Band, The Neville Brothers, Bonnie Raitt, Donna the Buffalo, Mike Gordon|
|Past members||James Hutchinson
BK3 is an American rock band led by Grateful Dead drummer Bill Kreutzmann. Kreutzmann formed the band in 2008 with Max Creek guitarist Scott Murawski and Allman Brothers Band bassist Oteil Burbridge.
Bill Kreutzmann and Scott Murawski were introduced to each other in early 2008 by Mike Gordon and the three performed together as a trio at a benefit in Costa Rica. Kreutzmann and Murawski then decided to form a full time band and they offered Gordon the bassist position but he had to decline due to his other projects. Kreutzmann then offered the position up to Allman Brothers Band bassist Oteil Burbridge and he accepted.
They dubbed themselves the Bill Kreutzmann Trio and successfully toured the northeast during the summer of 2008 including a stop at the Gathering of the Vibes. The group plays several Grateful Dead classics, Max Creek originals and covers as well as many new songs written by Robert Hunter.
The group performed several shows early in the year before Kreutzmann became involved in The Dead tour. They toured North America again during the summer of 2009 although due to touring commitments with the Allman Brothers Band and a desire to spend more time at home, Oteil Burbridge was replaced by James "Hutch" Hutchinson from Bonnie Raitt's band. Bill Kreutzmann has speculated that they will release a live album in the near future, probably consisting of material with Oteil Burbridge in the band.
Despite not having toured in a while, they (Bill, Scott and Oteil) play as BK3 every year (2011- present) at "Jungle Jam" in Jaco, Costa Rica.
- Budnick, Dean. "Let It Grow", Relix, August 2008, p. 49 – 52
- Corbett, Ben. "Grateful Dead Drummer: In the Key of Kreutzmann", Crawdaddy!, May 22, 2009
- Wunsch, Matt. Concert review: The Roxy, Boston MA, 6/5/08, Jambands.com, June 30, 2008
- Lambert, Gary. "Talkin’ About Music, Laughter and Life with Bill Kreutzmann", dead.net, February 5, 2009
- Hutchinson, Nick. Concert review: Fox Theater, Boilder CO, 2/21/09, Jambands.com, March 16, 2009
- Preston, Scott. "Interview with Bill Kreutzmann from the Grateful Dead and BK3", Cincy Groove Magazine, May 20, 2009
- "BK3 Cruisin' NorCal This February", dead.net
- "Setlist: BK3, February 25, 2010, dead-heads@nemesis
- "Setlist: BK3, February 26, 2010, dead-heads@nemesis