Beauty World MRT Station
Beauty World MRT Station exit at night
|Location||101 Upper Bukit Timah Road
|Operated by||SBS Transit DTL|
|Opened||27 December 2015|
Beauty World MRT Station (DT5) is an underground Mass Rapid Transit station on the Downtown Line Stage 2 in Singapore, formerly known as the Bukit Timah Line. The station will serve the Bukit Timah and Upper Bukit Timah corridor, serving the commercial areas in the vicinity. Major buildings in the area includes Bukit Timah Shopping Centre, Beauty World Centre and Beauty World Plaza. It is near to Toh Yi Estate and Ngee Ann Polytechnic.
The section of track between Beauty World and Hillview is the longest between stations on the Downtown Line. There exists a basic structural provisions for a possible future station (also known as a "box station") along this section of track.
The Land Transport Authority has awarded the contract for the construction of Beauty World station and associated tunnels (Contract 916) to McConnell Dowell S.E.A. Pte Ltd on 25 March 2009, valued at S$339,879,555.00.
Tunnelling works began on 8 June 2011. Two tunnel boring machines — which were named Athena and Artemis, after the Greek Goddesses by students of the nearby Pei Hwa Presbyterian Primary School, will tunnel the 1 km stretch from Beauty World to King Albert Park. The section of track between Hillview and Beauty World is the longest on the Downtown Line.
Part of the construction process was shown on an episode of Behind Every Job 2 on MediaCorp's Channel 8.
The original name for "Beauty World" referred to an amusement park in the area. At that time, amusement parks were called "worlds", the others included Gay World, Great World, which Great World City now occupies and New World. The amusement park was subsequently converted to a market after the end of World War II, and called Beauty World Market. However, fire hazards led to the subsequent demolishing of the park in the 1980s.
Art in Transit
"Asemic Lines" by Boedi Widjaja is an artwork that presents the multi-cultural mix of language and invites viewers' aesthetic intuition to 'hover' between reading and looking.
|B1||Concourse||Faregates, Ticketing Machines, Station Control, Transitlink Counter|
|B2||Platform B||Downtown Line towards via Chinatown (→) King Albert Park
|Platform A||Downtown Line towards via Bukit Panjang (←) Hillview|
- A: Beauty World Centre, Bukit Timah Nature Reserve, Bukit Timah Shopping Centre, UOB Centre
- B: Bukit Timah Tua Pek Kong Temple, Kilat Centre, JK Building
- C: Bukit Timah Market & Food Centre, Bukit Timah Community Club, Ngee Ann Polytechnic
|Destination||First Train||Last Train|
|Mon – Sat||Sunday &
|to DT1 Bukit Panjang||6.09am||6.30am||12.40am|
|to DT19 Chinatown||5.37am||5.57am||11.42pm|
- "Alignment of DTL and DTL 2 and maps of DTL 2 stations" (PDF). Land Transport Authority. Retrieved 2008-07-16.
- "Speech by Mr Lui Tuck Yew, Minister for Transport, on A Sustainable and High Quality Public Transport-Centric Transportation System, at the Committee Of Supply Debate 2015 on 11 March 2015". Ministry of Transport, Singapore. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Contract 916 Tender Information". Land Transport Authority.
- "Downtown Line 2 Tunnelling Works Begin at Beauty World Station". Land Transport Authority.
|This Singapore MRT-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|