Benton Township, Lake County, Illinois
Location in Lake County
Lake County's location in Illinois
|Established||November 6, 1849|
|• Total||14.9 sq mi (38.5 km2)|
|• Land||14.6 sq mi (37.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.7 km2)|
|Elevation||666 ft (203 m)|
| • Estimate |
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
Benton Township is a township in Lake County, Illinois, United States, and includes all of the village of Winthrop Harbor, most of the village of Beach Park, and small portions of the cities of Zion and Waukegan. As of the 2010 census, its population was 18,951. Zion Township was formed from Benton Township on September 12, 1930.
Benton Township covers an area of 14.9 square miles (38.5 km2); of this, 0.27 square miles (0.7 km2) or 1.92 percent is water. Lakes in this township include Sand Pond. The streams of Bull Creek and Dead River run through this township.
Cities and towns
- Pleasant Prairie Township (north)
- Bristol Township (northwest)
- Zion Township (center)
- Newport Township (west)
- Waukegan Township (south)
- Warren Township (southwest)
The township contains nine cemeteries: Benton Greenwood, Briggs Family, Buffalo Grove Catholic, Catholic, Colchester, County Line, Cranberry Lake, Pineview and Rosecrans.
Airports and landing strips
|U.S. Decennial Census|
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Benton township, Lake County, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.