Cuba Township, Lake County, Illinois
Location in Lake County
Lake County's location in Illinois
|• Total||24.2 sq mi (62.8 km2)|
|• Land||22.8 sq mi (59.1 km2)|
|• Water||1.4 sq mi (3.7 km2)|
|Elevation||764 ft (233 m)|
|• Density||690/sq mi (270/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0428863|
Cuba Township is a township in Lake County, Illinois, USA. As of the 2010 census, its population was 16,826. Cuba Township was originally named Troy Township, but was renamed at about the time of the Spanish–American War.
Cuba Township covers an area of 24.2 square miles (62.8 km2); of this, 1.4 square miles (3.7 km2) or 5.91 percent is water. Lakes in this township include Davlins Pond, Grassy Lake, Honey Lake, Lake Barrington, Flint Lake, Lake Sheree and North Tower Lake. The stream of Flint Creek runs through this township.
Cities and towns
- Barrington Hills (northeast edge)
- Barrington (northwest quarter)
- Deer Park (west edge)
- Fox River Grove (east edge)
- Fox River Valley Gardens (southeast quarter)
- Lake Barrington (vast majority)
- North Barrington (west three-quarters)
- Tower Lakes
- Wauconda Township (north)
- Fremont Township (northeast)
- Ela Township (east)
- Palatine Township, Cook County (southeast)
- Barrington Township, Cook County (south)
- Algonquin Township, McHenry County (west)
- Nunda Township, McHenry County (northwest)
The township contains two cemeteries: Saint Paul and White.
Airports and landing strips
- Freier Airport is no longer in existence. It was located near Kelsey and Old Barrington Road and consisted of one grass runway. It was created by Art Freier an American Airlines pilot and farmer. Rumor has it he frequently flew to work from his home airport. What is true is that he gave many of the youth in the area their first airplane ride in the 1960s.
Art as of 2013 is still living in the area
- U.S. Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- United States Census Bureau cartographic boundary files[permanent dead link]
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Cuba township, Lake County, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 18, 2012.