Vernon Township, Lake County, Illinois
Location in Lake County
Lake County's location in Illinois
|Established||November 6, 1849|
|• Supervisor||Daniel C. Didech|
|• Clerk||Barbara Barnabee|
|• Total||36.2 sq mi (93.8 km2)|
|• Land||35.8 sq mi (92.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.1 km2)|
|Elevation||669 ft (204 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||67,833|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Vernon Township covers an area of 36.2 square miles (93.8 km2); of this, 0.42 square miles (1.1 km2) or 1.14 percent is water. The stream of Indian Creek runs through this township. All of the communities within the township are North Central suburbs of Chicago.
Cities and towns
- Arlington Heights (northern edge of municipality)
- Bannockburn (western edge of municipality)
- Buffalo Grove (north three-quarters of Village)
- Indian Creek
- Lake Forest (west edge of Village)
- Lincolnshire (vast majority)
- Long Grove (east half)
- Mettawa (south half)
- Mundelein (southest edge)
- Riverwoods (west three-quarters)
- Vernon Hills (south half)
- Wheeling (north edge)
- Libertyville Township (north)
- Shields Township (northeast)
- West Deerfield Township (east)
- Northfield Township, Cook County (southeast)
- Wheeling Township, Cook County (south)
- Palatine Township, Cook County (southwest)
- Ela Township (west)
- Fremont Township (northwest)
The township contains eight cemeteries: Diamond Lake, Gridley, Knopf, Long Grove, Lutheran, Vernon, Willow Lawn and Zion City.
- Interstate 94
- U.S. Route 45
- Illinois State Route 21
- Illinois State Route 22
- Illinois State Route 53
- Illinois State Route 60
- Illinois State Route 83
Airports and landing strips
- Chicagoland Airport (historical)
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Vernon township, Lake County, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 19, 2012.
- Flying Magazine. p. 63. ISSN 0015-4806. Retrieved August 27, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.