Brioni is an Italian menswear couture house owned by French holding company Kering. Founded in Rome in 1945, it is known for its made-to-measure men's suits, sartorial ready-to-wear collections and leather goods. Throughout its history, the company has invented concepts such as the men's runway show, the trunk show, and the ready-to-wear Haute Couture. It has been a point of reference for the entertainment, institutional and business worlds. Its Creative Director from July 2012 to February 2016 was British-born Brendan Mullane. Its creative director effective April 1, 2016 is Justin O’Shea.
Brioni was established in Rome in 1945 as a men's tailoring company by founders Nazareno Fonticoli, a tailor, and Gaetano Savini, an entrepreneur. They opened their first shop on Via Barberini 79, naming the brand after the Brijuni Islands in Croatia; the shop is still at the same address. Brioni quickly started to raise interest from high-profile movie business personalities, heads of state and business leaders.
In 1952, Brioni staged the first men’s fashion show in history, inside the Sala Bianca at Palazzo Pitti in Florence. The clothes introduced new silhouettes, bold colors and innovative fabrics, marking an important chapter for the company. A couple of years later, Brioni invented the trunk show, during which the collections were presented directly in stores, allowing customers to personalize the garments with the Su Misura service (made-to-measure).
In 1959, a production plant was opened in Penne, Abruzzo, birth town of Nazareno Fonticoli. Called Brioni Roman Style, the state-of-the-art factory introduced the concept of Prêt Couture, or ready-to-wear Haute Couture that sealed the international rise of the brand.
Awards and honors
Since its inception the company has dressed many international celebrities from the film and entertainment industry, including Gay Talese, Donald Trump, Richard Burton, Kirk Douglas, Henry Fonda, Clark Gable, Tyrone Power, Anthony Quinn, John Wayne, Matthew McConaughey, Leonardo DiCaprio, Joel and Ethan Coen, Orlando Bloom, Ansel Elgort, Jon Hamm, Harvey Keitel and Morgan Freeman.
In 2012, with the acquisition by French group Kering, the company entered a new phase. Under the leadership of Creative Director Brendan Mullane, Brioni designs, develops and manufactures Su Misura garments and sartorial ready-to-wear collections as well as leather goods, shoes, eyewear and fragrance. Brioni products are distributed globally, encompassing Europe, Asia and America, through directly-owned boutiques and a network of department stores.
On March 23, 2016, luxury conglomerate Kering announced that it had appointed Justin O’Shea, a heavily tattooed Australian and street-style enthusiast with more than 80,000 Instagram followers, as creative director. O’Shea was formerly the fashion director of the German e-commerce site MyTheresa. O’Shea used Metallica dressed in Brioni tuxedos in his first ad campaign with the brand. The remake of Brioni's logo under O'Shea has been compared to the Fraktur typeface. O'Shea showed his first collection for the house on 4 July 2016.
- Austria: Wien
- Czech Republic: Prague
- France: Cannes, Paris, Courchevel
- Germany: Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Munich
- Italy: Rome, Milan, Porto Cervo
- Spain: Marbella, Barcelona
- Switzerland: St.Moritz, Zurich
- Turkey: Istanbul
- Russia: Moscow, Saint-Peterburg, Ekaterinburg
- Ukraine: Kiev
- UK: London
- Mexico: Mexico City (Avenida Presidente Masaryk and Palacio de Hierro)
- Dominican Republic: Santo Domingo
- Cambodia: Phnom Penh
- China: Macau, Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Dalian, Hangzhou, Harbin, Shenyang, Suzhou, Xi'an
- Indonesia: Jakarta
- Japan: Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, Fukuoka
- Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur
- Singapore: Singapore
- South Korea: Seoul, Busan
- Thailand: Bangkok
- mrporter.com Brioni
- kering.com Brioni is strengthening its creative capacity and appoints Brendan Mullane as Creative Director 9 July 2012
- Lauren Milligan, vogue.co.uk Brioni's Brit 9 July 2012
- Luisa Zargani Brioni Taps Artists for Fall Ad Campaign June 15, 2015
- Kate Abnett, Brioni Names Justin O’Shea Creative Director The Business of Fashion March 23, 2016
- brioni.com Heritage
- telegraph.co.uk Mencyclopaedia: Brioni
- Visiting the source: making Brioni suits New York Times, 14 April 2014
- Luxury Institute Survey: Wealthy Consumers Rate Top Men's Fashion Brands of 2007 Brioni, Armani and Ermenegildo Zegna May 22, 2007
- Alex Carter, Hermes, Brioni and Versace ranked as top luxury brands
- Vanity Fair, The Scion, the Stitch, and the Wardrobe August 2007
- Dowd, Maureen (2015-08-15). "Introducing Donald Trump, Diplomat". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-04-25.
- Mark Scott, PPR Acquires Italian Suit Maker Brioni November 8, 2011
- Marc Bain, Lovers of Brioni suits shouldn’t worry that a heavily tattooed Australian is the brand’s new creative head qz.com March 23, 2016
- Elizabeth Patton, Brioni Announces Its Own Unconventional Hire The New York Times March 23, 2016
- LAUREN SHERMAN, #Menswear is Dead. What's Next? JUNE 9, 2016
- Brioni is the Latest Brand to Revamp its Image But Will it Work? June 29, 2016 The Fashion Law
- New York Times The New Brioni, Shaken and Stirred MATTHEW SCHNEIER, JULY 2, 2016
- W magazine, Is Brioni's New Metallica Campaign Just John Varvatos-Lite? June 29, 2016, Max Lakin
- Vogue (France), The new Brioni Man according to Justin O'Shea, Thaïs Dubs, translated by Cosima Baring, 05 July 2016
- Justin O’Shea Enlists Metallica For Brioni’s Radical Repositioning KATE ABNETT, JUNE 29, 2016
- Store Locator brioni.com
- Store Locator: Central America
- Store Locator: CIS
- Official website
- Brioni's Brendan Mullane on Heritage, Craftsmanship and the Art of Seduction YouTube Published: March 9, 2015