Brioni is a menswear couture house owned by French holding company Kering. Founded in Rome in 1945, it is known for its made-to-measure men's suits, sartorial ready-to-wear collections and leather goods. Throughout its history, the company has invented concepts such as the men's runway show, the trunk show, and the ready-to-wear Haute Couture. It has been a point of reference for the entertainment, institutional and business worlds. Its current Creative Director is British-born Brendan Mullane.
Brioni was established in Rome in 1945 as a men's tailoring company by founders Nazareno Fonticoli, a tailor, and Gaetano Savini, an entrepreneur. They opened their first shop on Via Barberini 79, naming the brand after the Brijuni Islands in Croatia; the shop is still at the same address. Brioni quickly started to raise interest from high-profile movie business personalities, heads of state and business leaders.
In 1952, Brioni staged the first men’s fashion show in history, inside the Sala Bianca at Palazzo Pitti in Florence. The clothes introduced new silhouettes, bold colors and innovative fabrics, marking an important chapter for the company. A couple of years later, Brioni invented the trunk show, during which the collections were presented directly in stores, allowing customers to personalize the garments with the Su Misura service (made-to-measure).
In 1959, a production plant was opened in Penne, Abruzzo, birth town of Nazareno Fonticoli. Called Brioni Roman Style, the state-of-the-art factory introduced the concept of Prêt Couture, or ready-to-wear Haute Couture that sealed the international rise of the brand.
Since its inception the company has dressed many international celebrities from the film and entertainment industry, from Richard Burton, Kirk Douglas, Henry Fonda, Clark Gable, Tyrone Power, Anthony Quinn and John Wayne to Matthew McConaughey, Leonardo DiCaprio, Joel and Ethan Coen, Orlando Bloom, Ansel Elgort, Jon Hamm, Harvey Keitel and Morgan Freeman, among others.
In 2012, with the acquisition by French group Kering, the company entered a new phase. Under the leadership of Creative Director Brendan Mullane, Brioni designs, develops and manufactures Su Misura garments and sartorial ready-to-wear collections as well as leather goods, shoes, eyewear and fragrance. Brioni products are distributed globally, encompassing Europe, Asia and America, through directly-owned boutiques and a network of department stores.
Brioni has stores in:
- Austria: Wien
- Czech Republic: Prague
- France: Cannes, Paris, Courchevel
- Germany: Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Munich
- Italy: Rome, Milan, Porto Cervo
- Spain: Marbella, Barcelona
- Switzerland: St.Moritz, Zurich
- Turkey: Istanbul
- Russia: Moscow, Saint-Peterburg, Ekaterinburg
- Ukraine: Kiev
- UK: London
- Cambodia: Phnom Penh
- China: Macau, Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Dalian, Hangzhou, Harbin, Shenyang, Suzhou, Xi'an
- Indonesia: Jakarta
- Japan: Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, Fukuoka
- Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur
- Singapore: Singapore
- South Korea: Seoul
- Thailand: Bangkok
- mrporter.com Brioni
- kering.com Brioni is strengthening its creative capacity and appoints Brendan Mullane as Creative Director 9 July 2012
- Lauren Milligan, vogue.co.uk Brioni's Brit 9 July 2012
- Luisa Zargani Brioni Taps Artists for Fall Ad Campaign June 15, 2015
- brioni.com Heritage
- telegraph.co.uk Mencyclopaedia: Brioni
- Visiting the source: making Brioni suits New York Times, 14 April 2014
- Luxury Institute Survey: Wealthy Consumers Rate Top Men's Fashion Brands of 2007 Brioni, Armani and Ermenegildo Zegna May 22, 2007
- Alex Carter, Hermes, Brioni and Versace ranked as top luxury brands
- Mark Scott, PPR Acquires Italian Suit Maker Brioni November 8, 2011
- Official website
- Brioni's Brendan Mullane on Heritage, Craftsmanship and the Art of Seduction YouTube Published: March 9, 2015