Bude–Stratton (Cornish: Bud–Strasnedh) is a civil parish in Cornwall, England. The largest settlement in the parish is the seaside town of Bude. The parish also includes the market town of Stratton and the settlements of Flexbury, Poughill, Bush, Maer and Northcott north of Bude, and Upton, Lynstone, Thorne and Hele south of Bude.
In the 2011 census the population of the civil parish was 9,934.
Bude–Stratton originated in 1900 as an urban district. It was formed from parts of the civil parishes of Stratton (Bude, Stratton, Upton and Lynstone) and Poughill (Flexbury). In 1934 the urban district was enlarged to absorb the remainder of the civil parishes of Stratton and Poughill (including the village of Poughill), which were then abolished.
The boundaries of the urban district were then unchanged until 1974, when it was abolished and became part of the new North Cornwall District. Bude–Stratton was reformed as a successor parish, a civil parish with more limited powers than the former urban district. The parish council of the civil parish resolved to declare its area a "town", with the council known as a "town council". In April 2009 North Cornwall District was abolished and replaced by Cornwall Council.
The arms of the Bude-Stratton urban district council were: Arg. two bars wavy Az. within a bordure Sa. bezantee on a chief Gu. a cross formed of the field between two clarions Or. The Arms were transferred to Bude-Stratton Town Council by consent and grant of the College of Arms.
- John Bolitho, Grand bard of the Cornish Gorsedd
- Sir Goldsworthy Gurney, surgeon, gentleman scientist, inventor, and pioneer of applying steam power
- Sir Henry Lovell Goldsworthy Gurney, colonial administrator
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Bude-Stratton Parish (E04011409)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 3 April 2021.
- Great Britain Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, Bude-Stratton UD (historic map). Retrieved 3 April 2021.
- Pascoe, W. H. (1979). A Cornish Armory. Padstow, Cornwall: Lodenek Press. p. 132. ISBN 0-902899-76-7.
- "Who we are". Bude-Stratton Town Council. Retrieved 3 April 2021.
- Annuaire Mairie
- Complete France
- A. J. Stockwell, ‘Gurney, Sir Henry Lovell Goldsworthy (1898–1951)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, Sept 2004; online edn, Oct 2006 accessed 21 Nov 2007