Shire of Burdekin
|Shire of Burdekin
Location within Queensland
|• Density||3.66769/km2 (9.4993/sq mi)|
|Area||5,052.5 km2 (1,950.8 sq mi)|
|Federal Division(s)||Dawson, Kennedy|
|Website||Shire of Burdekin|
The Shire of Burdekin is a local government area located in North Queensland, Australia in the Dry Tropics region. The district is located between Townsville and Bowen in the delta of the Burdekin River.
It covers an area of 5,052.5 square kilometres (1,950.8 sq mi), and has existed as a local government entity since 1888.
With the passage of the Local Authorities Act 1902, Ayr Division became the Shire of Ayr on 31 March 1903.
Council members were elected to represent different divisions within the shire until the election of March 1994 at which all council members are elected by all shire residents. The title of Mayor replaced the former title of Shire Chairman and the title of Shire Clerk was replaced by Chief Executive Officer from that same election.
New shire chambers were opened on 9 October 1999. The cost was $2.8 million.
From 2000, council elections were held every four years to elect a mayor and ten councillors. From 2008, this was reduced to a mayor and six councillors.
Towns and localities
- Home Hill
- Horseshoe Lagoon
- Majors Creek
- Rita Island
Chairmen / Mayors
|Dates||Chairman / Mayors||Notes|
|1896||James Henry Rae|||
|1896||J. H. Rae|||
|1970-1976||R. W. Rossiter|||
|1994-2004||John F. Woods||First to use the title "Mayor"|
|2004-2012||Lynette Angela (Lyn) McLaughlin|||
|2012-||William Charles (Bill) Lowis|||
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 March 2011). "Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2009–10". Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- "Proclamation [Ayr Division]". Queensland Government Gazette. 21 January 1888. p. 43:170.
- "Agency ID6068, Burdekin Shire Council". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- Scott, Laura A; Lower Burdekin Historical Society (2014), Mastering the dream : Home Hill : jubilee to centenary, Home Hill, Q The Lower Burdekin Historical Society Inc, ISBN 978-0-9871987-1-6
- Consolidated Index to Queensland Government Gazette 1859-1919. Queensland Family History Society. 2004. ISBN 1 876613 79 3.
- "History of the Burdekin - Burdekin Shire Council". Retrieved 2015-09-23.
- "Queensland Government Gazette consolidated index 1859-1919 - Details - Trove". trove.nla.gov.au. Retrieved 2015-09-23.
- Pugh, Theophilus Parsons (1927). Pugh's Almanac for 1927. Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- "Former councillor ousts Burdekin mayor". ABC News. Retrieved 2015-09-23.
- "Mayor Candidate Profile : 2012 Burdekin Shire - Mayoral Election". results.ecq.qld.gov.au. Retrieved 2015-09-23.