Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo High School
|Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo High School|
|2001 Santa Fe Avenue
Long Beach, California
|Motto||A School on the Move!|
|School district||Long Beach Unified School District|
|Principal||Dr. Elio Mendoza|
|Enrollment||4000 (as of 2008-2009)|
|Athletics conference||Moore League|
In the winter of 1996, ground was broken for Cabrillo High School on the west side of Long Beach. The school opened in September 1996 with grades nine and ten, and a student body of approximately 975 students. Because Cabrillo High School was still under construction, the original plan for the school was that upon completion of their tenth grade year, all students would transfer to one of the other five comprehensive high schools to complete their secondary education. Efforts by the students and parents instead led to the Board of Education to add grade eleven and eventually grade twelve. In 1999, Cabrillo High School graduated its first class with approximately 75 students receiving their high school diplomas.
According to the California Department of Education, the school has an overall Academic Performance Index (API) score of 633, as of 2011. This is considered a very low score; according to state standards, a passing grade is 800.
- Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story was filmed in Cabrillo High School's Gym.
- Cheaper by the Dozen was filmed in Cabrillo High School's gym locker room, parking lot and gym.
- Bones was filmed in Cabrillo High School's in the gym and parking lot
- 20th Century Fox's Glee was filmed (2009-2015) at Cabrillo High School in various locations such as the football field and auditorium.
- The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift was filmed in Cabrillo High School's entrance and parking lot.