Maywood Academy High School
|Maywood Academy High School|
|6125 Pine Avenue
Maywood, California 90270
|School type||Public school|
|Color(s)||Blue, White, Black|
All residents are zoned to Bell High School in Bell and Huntington Park High School in Huntington Park may apply to Maywood Academy High School; Maywood Academy, which opened in 2005 and moved into its permanent campus in 2006, does not have its own attendance boundary because it lacks American football, track and field, and tennis facilities. Several municipalities are in the service zone of MAHS.
Areas within the service zone include the City of Maywood, the City of Bell, the City of Cudahy, the City of Huntington Park, portions of Vernon, and most of the Walnut Park census-designated place.
The high school previously offered four Small Learning Communities (SLCs) for approximately 200 students, specializing in: Architecture/Design, Performing Arts, Radio Production, and Information/ Technology. In 2010, as part of the Public School Choice Process, the students, staff and parents elected to move from four SLCs to three: School of Liberal Arts (SoLA), School of Science, and School of Business and Technology. The course offerings from the previous SLCs will be liquidated into the three improved SLCs. The concept of Small Learning Communities is to create opportunities for individualized learning experiences in collaboration between teachers, students and parents.
The curriculum of the high school is covered an athletic program consisting of:
- Cross Country
- Water Polo
The school also has a music program which consists of:
- Beginning Band
- Advanced Band
- "School History." Maywood Academy High School. Retrieved on July 2, 2010.
- "Maywood city, California Archived June 7, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on July 2, 2010.
- "Bell city, California." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on July 2, 2010.
- "Cudahy city, California." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on July 2, 2010.
- "Huntington Park city, California." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on July 2, 2010.
- "Zoning Map." City of Vernon. Retrieved on June 2, 2010.
- "Walnut Park CDP, California." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on July 2, 2010.
- Official Website
- School Demographics
- LAUSD School Homepage
- The school's use of Green Technology
- "Southeast Area New Learning Center Area Schools." - Maywood Academy attendance boundary