Chapel of the Shepherd's Field
|Shepherds' Field Chapel|
|Sanctuary Gloria in excelsis Deo|
|Denomination||Roman Catholic Church|
The Shepherds' Field Chapel is the name given to a religious building of the Catholic church that is in the area of Beit Sahur southeast of Bethlehem in the West Bank in Palestine. The chapel marks the place where, according to Catholic tradition, the angels first announced the birth of Christ.
It is a chapel built by the Franciscans and that is quite close, but separated from another church dedicated to the same event, but belonging to the Greek Orthodox Church. Its history dates back to the fifth century, when the first sanctuary was built at this site. The present chapel was built near the ruins of an ancient monastery in 1953[self-published source] after the design of architect Antonio Barluzzi and decorated with images of the Annunciation to the shepherds and childhood of Jesus.[dubious ]
It has five apses that mimic the structure of a nomadic tent in gray. The words of the angel to the shepherds incristas gold. Under the church is a large cave. An image depicting the birth of Jesus can be seen in the place. The Status Quo, a 250-year old understanding between religious communities, applies to the site.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shepherds Field Chapel, Roman Catholic (Beit Sahour).|
- "Mirjam's World - Travel - Israel - Holy Land: Tel-Aviv, Bethlehem, Shepherds' Field, Beit Sahur, Manager Square, St. Catherin's, Church of the Nativity, Milk Grotto, Ein Kerem, Yad Vashem". travel.mirjamsworld.com. Retrieved 2016-05-09.
- Murphy-O'Connor, Jerome (2008-02-28). The Holy Land: An Oxford Archaeological Guide from Earliest Times to 1700. OUP Oxford. ISBN 9780191647666.
- "Midnight Mass at Bethlehem | Magnificat Media | Creation and production of engaging educational content". Magnificat Media | Creation and production of engaging educational content. 2015-12-31. Retrieved 2016-05-09.
- Tilbury, Neil (1989-10-01). Israel, a travel survival kit. Lonely Planet. ISBN 9780864420152.
- Humphreys, Andrew (1996-01-01). Israel and the Palestinian Territories. Lonely Planet Publications. ISBN 9780864423993.
- Refugio De La Garza (2011-05-01). Datos y Relatos de Un Viaje a Tierra Santa (in Spanish). Xlibris Corporation. ISBN 9781617645280.
- 25, stevewolfgang | December; |, 2013 at 4:26 Pm (2013-12-25). "Visiting the shepherd's fields near Bethlehem". Ferrell's Travel Blog. Retrieved 2016-05-09.
- UN Conciliation Commission (1949). United Nations Conciliation Commission for Palestine Working Paper on the Holy Places.
- Cust, L. G. A. (1929). The Status Quo in the Holy Places. H.M.S.O. for the High Commissioner of the Government of Palestine.