Charnwood (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Charnwood in Leicestershire
Location of Leicestershire within England
|Population||94,748 (2011 census)|
|Electorate||75,454 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Anstey, Birstall,|
East Goscote, Queniborough, Rothley, Syston, Thurmaston, Woodhouse Eaves, Glenfield, Kirby Muxloe, Leicester Forest East, Groby
|Member of Parliament||Edward Argar (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Loughborough, Rutland and Melton, Blaby, Bosworth|
The seat emerged from the Boundary Commission report of 1995 reflecting population increases in Leicestershire for the 1997 general election; the largest part of it was previously in Loughborough. To date Charnwood has been a Conservative Party stronghold.
1997–2010: The Borough of Charnwood wards of Birstall Goscote, Birstall Greengate, Birstall Netherhall, Birstall Riverside, Birstall Stonehill, Bradgate, East Goscote, Mountsorrel and Rothley, Queniborough, Six Hills, Syston, Thurcaston, Thurmaston, and Woodhouse and Swithland, the District of Blaby wards of Ellis, Fairestone, Kirby, and Leicester Forest East, and the Borough of Hinckley and Bosworth wards of Groby and Ratby.
2010–present: The Borough of Charnwood wards of Anstey, Birstall Wanlip, Birstall Watermead, East Goscote, Forest Bradgate, Mountsorrel, Queniborough, Rothley and Thurcaston, Syston East, Syston West, Thurmaston, and Wreake Villages, the District of Blaby wards of Ellis, Fairestone, Forest, and Muxloe, and the Borough of Hinckley and Bosworth ward of Groby.
The seat is close to Leicester, between the city and Nottingham, and covers slightly more than half of the local government district of Charnwood to the north of Leicester. The town of Loughborough is the largest in the borough, but lies in a separate constituency.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrats||Kate Tipton||4,856||8.8||+5.1|
|Liberal Democrats||Simon Sansome||2,052||3.7||−3.2|
|Labour||Sean Kelly-Walsh ||11,453||21.9||+2.2|
|Liberal Democrats||Simon Sansome||3,605||6.9||-14.6|
|Liberal Democrats||Robin Webber-Jones||11,531||21.5||+3.2|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrats||Sue King||9,057||17.9||+1.7|
|Liberal Democrats||Susan King||7,835||16.2||+3.4|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrats||Roger Wilson||7,224||12.9||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Charnwood: Usual Resident Population, 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Charnwood 1997–". Hansard 1803–2005. UK Parliament. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 3)
- "How did Charnwood vote in 2017?". Leicester Mercury. Archived from the original on 10 June 2017. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "Charnwood Parliamentary constituency". BBC. 9 June 2017.
- "General Election 2017: Charnwood". The Daily Express. 9 June 2017. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/who-are-labour-s-general-election-candidate-in-leicestershire/story-30310977-detail/story.html[permanent dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-05-21. Retrieved 2017-05-18.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Charnwood Parliamentary constituency". BBC. 8 May 2015.
- "Conservatives choose councillor to fight Stephen Dorrell's Charnwood seat in General Election". Leicester Mercury. 28 January 2015. Archived from the original on 15 April 2015. Retrieved 28 January 2015.
- "UK ELECTION RESULTS: CHARNWOOD 2015".
- Dan J Martin (19 February 2015). "UKIP lifts suspension of Charnwood parliamentary candidate Lynton Yates after "ban drivers on benefits" leaflet". Leicester Mercury. Archived from the original on 19 February 2015. Retrieved 19 February 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Large printable map showing roads and constituency boundary (Walkingclub.org)
- nomis Constituency Profile for Charnwood — presenting data from the ONS annual population survey and other official statistics.