Cheshire East Council
|Cheshire East Council|
|Whole council elected every four years|
Coat of arms
|Founded||1 April 2009|
|Preceded by||Macclesfield Borough, Congleton Borough, Crewe and Nantwich Borough and Cheshire County Council|
Cllr Rachel Bailey
Cllr Hilda Gaddum
|Seats||82 councillors |
Cheshire East Council is the local authority of Cheshire East. It is a unitary authority, having the powers of a non-metropolitan county and district council combined. It provides a full range of local government services including Council Tax billing, libraries, social services, processing planning applications, waste collection and disposal, and it is a local education authority. The council was first elected on 1 May 2008 a year before coming into its powers on 1 April 2009. As of 2017, the council is Conservative-controlled, and is currently facing four ongoing police investigations, forcing the Department for Communities and Local Government to consider placing it under special measures.
Powers and functions
The local authority derives its powers and functions from the Local Government Act 1972 and subsequent legislation. For the purposes of local government, Cheshire East is within a non-metropolitan area of England. As a unitary authority, Cheshire East Council has the powers and functions of both a non-metropolitan county and district council combined. In its capacity as a district council it is a billing authority collecting Council Tax and business rates, it processes local planning applications, it is responsible for housing, waste collection and environmental health. In its capacity as a county council it is a local education authority, responsible for social services, libraries and waste disposal.
Since the first election to the council in 2008 political control of the council has been held by the following parties:
|Executive||Leader||Term of office||Elections|
|Conservative||Wesley Fitzgerald||2008–2012||2008, 2011|
- "Cabinet Members". Cheshire East Council. Retrieved 2016-03-22.
- "Local Democracy- Voting and Elections". Cheshire East Council. Retrieved 2014-08-26.
- "Cheshire East". BBC News Online. 2008-04-19. Retrieved 2009-11-20.
- "Cheshire East Council leader Wesley Fitzgerald to resign". Macclesfield Express. Trinity Mirror. 23 February 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2016.
- Howarth, Rachel (29 February 2016). "Cllr Rachel Bailey is Cheshire East Council's new leader after landslide vote". Middlewich Guardian. Retrieved 3 September 2016.
|This article related to government in the United Kingdom or its constituent countries is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|