Cheshire East Council
Cheshire East Council
|Founded||1 April 2009|
|Preceded by||Cheshire County Council|
Congleton Borough Council
Crewe and Nantwich Borough Council
Macclesfield Borough Council
Mayor of Cheshire East
Leader of the Council
Cllr Sam Corcoran, Labour
since 22 May 2019
since 30 March 2020
Length of term
|2 May 2019|
|4 May 2023|
Cheshire East Council is the local authority of the Borough of Cheshire East, Cheshire, England. It is a unitary authority, having the powers of a non-metropolitan county and district council combined. It provides a full range of local government services including Council Tax billing, libraries, social services, processing planning applications, waste collection and disposal, and it is a local education authority. The council was first elected on 1 May 2008, a year before coming into its powers on 1 April 2009. After an election in May 2019, no party holds overall control. The civil parish of Sandbach hosts the administrative headquarters for the council.
Powers and functions
The local authority derives its powers and functions from the Local Government Act 1972 and subsequent legislation. For the purposes of local government, Cheshire East is within a non-metropolitan area of England. As a unitary authority, Cheshire East Council has the powers and functions of both a non-metropolitan county and district council combined. In its capacity as a district council it is a billing authority collecting Council Tax and business rates, it processes local planning applications, it is responsible for housing, waste collection and environmental health. In its capacity as a county council it is a local education authority, responsible for social services, libraries and waste disposal.
Since the first election to the council in 2008 political control of the council has been held by the following parties:
|Executive||Leader||Term of office||Elections|
|Conservative||Wesley Fitzgerald||2008–2012||2008, 2011|
|No Overall Control||Sam Corcoran||2019–present||2019|
In May 2019, following local elections, the Conservatives lost control of the council for the first time since it was created in 2008. On 22 May 2019, the newly elected councillors met for the first time and elected Labour's Sam Corcoran as leader, after the party came to an agreement with independent councillors. The following cabinet positions were announced on 22 May 2019:
|Cheshire East Council|
|Leader||Sam Corcoran||Janet Clowes|
|Deputy Leader||Craig Browne||Liz Wardlaw|
|Children and Families||Kathryn Flavell||Jos Saunders|
|Adult Social Care and Health||Laura Jeuda||Liz Wardlaw|
|Public Health and Corporate Services||Jill Rhodes||TBC|
|Highways and Waste||Laura Crane||Don Stockton|
|Environment and Regeneration||Nick Mannion||Paul Findlow|
|Finance, IT and Communications||Amanda Stott||TBC|
Cheshire East Council has a number of outstanding Police Investigations. At one point there were 7 investigations, four of which are outlined below;
- Investigation into (former) Leader of the Council (Michael Jones) illegally awarding a contract to a friend (Amanda Moris of Core Fit) - Lunched 2015 - dropped 2020 due to lack of evidence
- Investigation into a Grant to Berkeley Academy in Wistaston for £70,000 awarded outside of contract rules Dropped due to insufficient evidence 
- An investigation into allegations of manipulation of air pollution data - ONGOING
- Land transfer for the ANSA Waste Manegement Facility in Middlewich - ONGOING
- "The Mayoral Team". Cheshire East Council. 22 May 2019. Retrieved 23 May 2019.
- "Notice of postponement of poll in Crewe West" (PDF). Cheshire East Council. 20 March 2020. Retrieved 13 May 2020.
- "Local Democracy- Voting and Elections". Cheshire East Council. Retrieved 2014-08-26.
- Phil McCann (22 May 2019). "Cheshire East Council elects first Labour leader". BBC. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- "Cheshire East". BBC News Online. 2008-04-19. Retrieved 2009-11-20.
- "Cheshire East Council leader Wesley Fitzgerald to resign". Macclesfield Express. Trinity Mirror. 23 February 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2016.
- "Cabinet Members". Cheshire East Council. Retrieved 2016-03-22.
- Howarth, Rachel (29 February 2016). "Cllr Rachel Bailey is Cheshire East Council's new leader after landslide vote". Middlewich Guardian. Retrieved 3 September 2016.
- "Cabinet members". Cheshire East Council. 22 May 2019. Retrieved 23 May 2019.
- "Ex-Cheshire East Council leader fraud probe dropped". BBC News. 2020-06-12. Retrieved 2020-10-11.
- "Three police probes into Cheshire East Council". BBC News. 2017-09-20. Retrieved 2020-10-11.
- "Police probe into two Cheshire East Council allegations dropped". Nantwich News. 2020-06-12. Retrieved 2020-10-11.
- "Cheshire East council admits air pollution data was falsified". the Guardian. 2017-08-02. Retrieved 2020-10-11.
- "OPINION: Time for a change". Northwich Guardian. Retrieved 2020-10-11.