A cigar bar (or lounge) is an establishment that caters to patrons who smoke cigars.
While cigar bars have been around for years, interest in them developed in the 1990s when cities and government entities began instituting smoking bans but provided exceptions for establishments that catered to smokers.
While some cigar bars permit the smoking of cigarettes, the classic cigar bar focuses strictly on cigars. Many of the upscale cigar bars such as the Grand Havana in Beverly Hills, California and New York City as well as those in Paris, Spain and Germany, create a gentlemen's club ambience with plushly-appointed interiors, sometimes including a piano or pool table. Featured prominently in upscale bars are humidors, even walk-in humidors where people can buy and store cigars for safekeeping in special cigar lockers for individuals. The bars frequently also serve food and alcohol.
During the 2000s, many of Canada's cities banned smoking in indoor public places, however these bans came with an exception for non-cigarette smoking such as hookah or cigars. In 2006, when such a ban came into place in Montreal, all cigar bars opened before May 10, 2005 were allowed to stay in operation, though future establishments were banned. There are also cigar lounges in Gatineau, Quebec.
The only two cigar bars in Major League Baseball are the Cuesta-Rey Cigar Bar at Tropicana Field, home of the Tampa Bay Rays, and the Camacho Cigar Bar at Comerica Park, home of the Detroit Tigers. Cuesta-Rey cigars originally were made in Tampa, while Camacho cigars are distributed in Miami.
- Cigar Sensibilities by Roy Stein - Cigarfriendly.com
- "The Cigar Bar". Rapid Detect. Rapid Detect Inc. 27 March 1997. Archived from the original on 2 January 2015. Retrieved 20 July 2010.
- Directory of Post-Ban Cigar Bars - CigarPlaces.com
- The Age, "The cigar bar makes a comeback" article, 28 December 2010 
- "Cigar bar owners puffed up with glee as butt ban nears". Montreal Gazette. May 23, 2006. Archived from the original on May 12, 2014. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- Jennifer Cox (February 6, 2012). "Top 7 Canadian cigar lounges and shops". Crave Canada. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- Private Smoking Club Google Answers