Clyde E. Love
Clyde Elton Love (December 12, 1882 – January 31, 1960) was an American contract bridge author and mathematics professor at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. He was a native of Bancroft, Michigan and graduated with his PhD from the University of Michigan in 1905. He served as a "[[professor at the University of Michigan]]"from 1905 - 1947
Love is well known in bridge circles for his 1951 "[[Squeeze Play in Bridge]]" and the 1959 book '[[Bridge Squeezes Complete: Winning Endgame Strategy]]'. "Bridge Squeezes Complete" hit the New York Times Best Sellers List and was one of the earliest efforts to codify the then-existing squeeze play. Love established rules for recognizing bridge squeezes, and for executing them when they occurred. His system of classifying squeezes has been used by most bridge writers since. He was also the author of several mathematics textbooks, including "[[Analytic Geometry]]" (1938), "[[Differential and Intregal Calculus]]", and others. He also wrote many magazine articles.
He died at his home in Ann Arbor, at age 77. He was survived by his second wife Katie and daughter, Marian E. Love-Macalpin (April 17, 1910 – February 10, 1991). His first wife, Georgina May Emerick-Love (May 31, 1880 – April 24, 1953), died at the age of 54. And his son, Frank E. Love (December 14, 1903 – May 15, 1909), died at age 5. 
- Love, Clyde E. (1951). Squeeze Play in Bridge. New York: R. R. Smith. p. 183. LCCN 51010352.
- Love, Clyde E. (1959). Bridge Squeezes Complete or Winning End Play Strategy (1st ed.). Long Island City, NY: Barclay Bridge Supplies, Sterling Publishing Company Inc. LCCN 59014249.
- Love, Clyde E. (2010). Lee, Linda; Pottage, Julian, eds. Bridge Squeezes Complete. Toronto: Master Point Press. ISBN 978-1-897106-58-7.
- Differential and Integral Calculus, 1916-1970
- Analytic Geometry, 1923-1955
- Elements of Analytic Geometry, 1931-1956
- On the Asymptotic Solutions of Linear Differential Equations, 1913-1914
- Francis, Henry G., Editor-in-Chief; Truscott, Alan F., Executive Editor; Francis, Dorthy A., Editor, Sixth Edition (2001). The Official Encyclopedia of Bridge (6th ed.). Memphis, TN: American Contract Bridge League. p. 691. ISBN 0-943855-44-6. OCLC 49606900.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- "Author of Books on Bridge Dies". Detroit Free Press. February 1, 1960. p. 54.
- Love, Clyde E.; edited by Lee, Linda, and Pottage, Julian. (2010) Bridge Squeezes Complete. Toronto, Ontario: Master Point Press. ISBN 978-1-897106-58-7
- Clyde E. Love at Find a Grave
- Clyde E. Love at Library of Congress Authorities, with 18 catalog records (including 3 "from old catalog")
|This article about an American mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|