DC Comics Absolute Edition
DC Comics Absolute Edition is a series of archival quality printings of graphic novels published by DC Comics and its imprints WildStorm Productions and Vertigo. Each is presented in a hardcover, dustjacketed and slipcased edition with cloth bookmark consisting of one or more books which include restored, corrected and recolored versions of the original work, reprinted at 8 inches by 12 inches. Also included are supplemental materials regarding the creation of the work, including sketches, comic scripts and memos.
- 1 Titles
- 1.1 Absolute Art of Adam Hughes
- 1.2 The Authority
- 1.3 Batman
- 1.4 Crisis on Infinite Earths
- 1.5 Danger Girl
- 1.6 Daytripper
- 1.7 DC: The New Frontier
- 1.8 Death
- 1.9 Death (new edition)
- 1.10 Final Crisis
- 1.11 Flash
- 1.12 Green Arrow
- 1.13 Green Lantern
- 1.14 Identity Crisis
- 1.15 Infinite Crisis
- 1.16 Luthor / Joker
- 1.17 Justice League
- 1.18 The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
- 1.19 Planetary
- 1.20 Preacher
- 1.21 Promethea
- 1.22 Ronin
- 1.23 Sandman
- 1.24 Scarlet
- 1.25 Superman
- 1.26 Swamp Thing
- 1.27 Top 10
- 1.28 Transmetropolitan
- 1.29 V For Vendetta
- 1.30 Watchmen
- 1.31 WildC.A.T.s
- 1.32 Wonder Woman
- 1.33 Y: The Last Man
- 2 Unofficial titles
- 3 See also
- 4 References
- 5 External links
The following titles in the series have been released or announced.
Absolute Art of Adam Hughes
Features the best of Eisner Award-winning artist Adam Hughes’ covers for DC Comics plus commentary from the artist, rarely seen preliminary material and more. Includes everything from Cover Run: The DC Comics Art of Adam Hughes and more than 100 additional covers with new commentary. Release date: November 13, 2019. ISBN 978-1401294915.
- Absolute Authority Volume 1 - Collects The Authority # 1-12. Released 2002. ISBN 1-56389-882-9. Currently out of print.
- Absolute Authority Volume 2 - Collects The Authority # 13-20, 22, & 27-29. Released 2003. ISBN 1-4012-0097-4. Currently out of print.
- Absolute Authority Vol. 1 (New Edition). Collects The Authority #1-12, Planetary/The Authority: Ruling the World, and a story from Wildstorm: A Celebration of 25 Years. Release date: October 17, 2017. ISBN 978-1401276478.
- Absolute Authority Vol. 2 (New Edition). Collects The Authority #13-29, Authority Annual 2000 and stories from Wildstorm Summer Special. Introduction by Tim Miller. Release date: July 31, 2018. ISBN 978-1401281151.
- Absolute Batman: Hush - Reprinting "Batman: Hush" storyline from Batman #608-619. This absolute volume includes additional sketches and character designs by Jim Lee. Released October 1, 2005. ISBN 1-4012-0426-0.
- Absolute Dark Knight - Collects Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again by Frank Miller. Extras include character design sketches. Released August 23, 2006. ISBN 1-4012-1079-1
- Absolute Batman: The Long Halloween - Reprints Batman: The Long Halloween #1-13, and includes an introduction/interview with Batman filmmakers Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer, an interview and commentary by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale, and 4 new pages inserted into the story. Released April 4, 2007. ISBN 1-4012-1282-4.
- Absolute Batman: Dark Victory - Reprints Batman: Dark Victory #0-13. Released May 23, 2012. ISBN 1-4012-3510-7.
- Absolute Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn - Reprints Batman and Robin #1-16 and Batman: The Return. Released January 15, 2013. ISBN 1-4012-3737-1.
- Absolute Batman, Incorporated - Reprints Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 1) #1-8, Batman, Incorporated: Leviathan Rises, Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 2) #1-13, and Batman, Incorporated Special. Released January 7, 2015. ISBN 978-1-4012-0426-6
- Absolute Batman: Haunted Knight. Collects Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Halloween Special #1, Batman: Madness #1, Batman: Ghosts #1 and Catwoman: When in Rome #1-6. Includes additional design, sketch and script pages. Release date: December 2, 2014. ISBN 978-1401251222.
- Absolute Batman: The Court of Owls. Collects Batman #1-11. Includes bonus material. Release date: December 8, 2015. ISBN 978-1401259105.
- Absolute All-Star Batman and Robin: The Boy Wonder. Collects All-Star Batman and Robin #1-10. Includes bonus material. Release date: July 8, 2014. ISBN 978-1401247638.
- Absolute Batman: Year One. Collects Batman #404-407. Includes complete scripts and pencil breakdowns for all four issues and more. Release date: November 8, 2016. ISBN 978-1401243791.
- Absolute Batman: The Killing Joke (30th Anniversary Edition). Collects Batman: Black and White #4, Batman: The Killing Joke, Countdown #31, Cover Story: The DC Comics Art of Brian Bolland, Joker: Last Laugh #1 and #6, Joker’s Greatest Stories Ever Told, Who’s Who in the DC Universe #13 and Wonder Woman #96. Release date: September 11, 2018. ISBN 978-1401284121.
- Absolute Batman: The Black Mirror. Collects Detective Comics #871-881. Includes bonus material. Release date: May 28, 2019. ISBN 978-1401289553.
- Absolute Dark Knight (New Edition). Collects Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1-4 and Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again #1-3. Includes bonus design and story pages. Release date: CANCELLED. ISBN 978-1401292454.
- Absolute Batman: Arkham Asylum (30th Anniversary Edition). Reprinting of the psychological masterpiece by Grant Morrison with art by Dave McKean. Release date: September 17, 2019. ISBN 978-1401294205.
- Absolute Batman: The Dark Knight - Master Race. Collects the nine-issue miniseries and its mini-comic tie-in issues, as well as some previously unpublished material. Release date: December 10, 2019. ISBN 978-1401299620.
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Unlike most of the other Absolute Editions which are a single slipcased book, this was a set of two volumes, with the separate 96 page book containing most of the supplementary material. In addition to memos, notes, sketches, and commentary by the creators, it includes some of the information from The Official Crisis on Infinite Earths Index #1 and The Official Crisis on Infinite Earths Crossover Index #1 but expanding the number of distinct Earths identified to 114, some of which appeared after Crisis as Elseworlds. Also some Earths that were described in those volumes (such as Alternate Earth-2 and Crossover Earth) were not included. Released November 16, 2005. ISBN 1-4012-0712-X.
Contains two volumes in a slipcased hardcover set. A 262-page collection of Danger Girl # 1-7 and a separate 64-page Sketchbook. Limited to 3012 copies, each including a signed and numbered tipped-in plate. Released December 17, 2003. ISBN 1-4012-0096-6. Currently out of print.
DC: The New Frontier
Contains 13 all-new pages, and one modified, which were trimmed from the original printings. Annotations, cover gallery, sketchbook and notes. Released October 4, 2006. ISBN 1-4012-1080-5. Another printing was released August 28, 2009. To be released July 24, 2012. ISBN 1-84856-399-X
Collects Death: The High Cost of Living #1-3, Death: The Time of Your Life #1-3, Death Talks about Life AIDS pamphlet, Death stories from Vertigo: Winter's Edge #2 and Sandman: Endless Nights, "The Wheel" from the 9-11 tribute book, Sandman #8 and #20 and extras from the Death Gallery. Released on November 10, 2009. ISBN 978-1-4012-2463-9.
Death (new edition)
Collects Death: The High Cost of Living and Death: The Time of Your Life; The Sound of Her Wings and Facade from The Sandman #8 and #20; Death and Venice from The Sandman: Endless Nights; A Winter’s Tale and The Wheel. Induction by Amanda Palmer. Also includes extensive galleries of Death portraits and retail products, sketches by Chris Bachalo and the entire original script of The Sandman #8. Release date January 7, 2020. ISBN 978-1401295578.
Collects Final Crisis #1-7, Final Crisis: Submit #1, Final Crisis: Superman Beyond #1-2 as well as additional JG Jones design pages with commentary by Grant Morrison. ISBN 978-1-4012-3511-6. Released on November 6, 2012.
- Absolute Green Lantern: Rebirth - Reprints Green Lantern: Rebirth #1-6. Released April 27, 2010.
- Absolute Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps War - Reprints GREEN LANTERN 21-25, GREEN LANTERN CORPS 14-19 and GREEN LANTERN: SINESTRO CORPS SPECIAL 1. Released September 2012.
- Absolute Green Lantern: Blackest Night - Reprints BLACKEST NIGHT #0, BLACKEST NIGHT #1-8, UNTOLD TALES OF THE BLACKEST NIGHT #1, DC UNIVERSE #0, the BLACKEST NIGHT DIRECTOR'S CUT #1, and GREEN LANTERN #43-48 and 50-52. Released on June 26, 2013.
- Absolute Green Lantern / Green Arrow. Collects the early 1970’s team-ups written by Dennis O’Neil with art by Neal Adams. Includes scripts, character development pages and character sketches. Release date: December 29, 2015. ISBN 978-1401257965.
Luthor / Joker
- Joker - Released November 4, 2008. ISBN 1-4012-1581-5
- Lex Luthor: Man of Steel - Released October 26, 2010. ISBN 1-4012-0454-6
- Kingdom Come - By Alex Ross and Mark Waid. Released October 16, 2018. ISBN 978-1401284626.
- Justice - By Jim Krueger & Alex Ross. Released on November 17, 2009. ISBN 978-1-4012-2415-8.
- Justice League: Origin - Part of The New 52. By Geoff Johns & Jim Lee. Released October 3, 2017. ISBN 978-1401274375
- Justice League: The World's Greatest Superheroes - By Paul Dini & Alex Ross. First edition released July 2005. Second edition released on November 7, 2017. ISBN 978-1401273705.
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume I, Absolute Edition - In addition to the full six issue run of the first series in the first of the set's two books the second book contains scripts for each of the issues as well as penciled original art and production sketches. Released June 18, 2003. ISBN 1-4012-0052-4. Currently out of print.
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume II, Absolute Edition - In addition to the full six issue run of the second series in the first of the set's two books the second book contains scripts for each of the issues as well as penciled original art and production sketches. Released August 1, 2005. ISBN 1-4012-0611-5. Currently out of print.
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier - Besides the slipcase, no bonus material whatsoever except for two new endpapers (one in 3-D) by series artist Kevin O'Neill. DC solicited the title with an LP that was originally intended by the authors for inclusion in the hardcover release, but reneged. Released August 12, 2008. ISBN 1-4012-0751-0.
- Absolute Planetary 1 - Collects Planetary #1-12. Released January 1, 2005. ISBN 1-4012-0327-2. Currently out of print.
- Absolute Planetary 2 - Collects Planetary #13-27. July 7, 2010. ISBN 1-4012-2701-5.
- Absolute Planetary Book One (New Edition). Collects Planetary #1-12. Includes the full script from issue #1. Release date: July 13, 2010. ISBN 978-1401203276.
- Absolute Planetary Book Two (New Edition). Collects Planetary #13-27. Includes 14 pages of additional content. Release date: July 20, 2010. ISBN 978-1401227012.
- Absolute Preacher 1 - Collects Preacher 1-26. Released July 12, 2016. ISBN 978-1401264413
- Absolute Preacher 2 - Collects Preacher 27-40. Released May 09, 2017. ISBN 978-1401268091
- Absolute Preacher 3 - Collects Preacher 41-66. Released Apr 25, 2018. ISBN 978-1401278489
- Absolute Promethea 1 - Collects Promethea #1-12. Released on September 30, 2009. ISBN 978-1-4012-2372-4.
- Absolute Promethea 2 - Collects Promethea #13-23. September 29, 2010. ISBN 978-1-4012-2842-2.
- Absolute Promethea 3 - Collects Promethea #24-32, as well as Tom Strong #36. Released December 20, 2011. ISBN 978-1401229474.
- Absolute Sandman 1 - Reprinting Sandman issues #1-20. With more than 65 pages of bonus material, including the original proposal for the series and the full script and pencil art for issue 19. Released October 11, 2006. ISBN 1-4012-1082-1.
- Absolute Sandman 2 - Reprinting The Sandman issues #21-39. Bonus material includes two never-before-reprinted stories by Neil Gaiman, namely one prose story from the box of The Sandman statue, and one comics story from Vertigo: Winter's Edge illustrated by John Bolton, a complete reproduction of the never-before-reprinted one-shot The Sandman: Gallery of Dreams, and the complete script and pencils by Gaiman and Kelley Jones for Chapter Two of "Season of Mists" (a.k.a. The Sandman #23). Released October 11, 2007. ISBN 978-1-4012-1083-0
- Absolute Sandman 3 - Reprinting The Sandman issues #40-56, released June 11, 2008. ISBN 978-1-4012-1084-7
- Absolute Sandman 4 - Reprinting The Sandman issues #57-75, released November 18, 2008. ISBN 978-1-4012-1085-4
- Absolute Sandman 5 - Reprinting The Sandman: Endless Nights plus Dream Hunters (both the prose novella and the comics adaptation) and Sandman Midnight Theatre, featuring Wesley Dodds, release date November 8, 2011. ISBN 978-1-4012-3202-3
- Absolute Sandman: Overture - Reprinting The Sandman: Overture issues #1-6, released June 27, 2018. ISBN 978-1-4012-8047-5
- Absolute Superman: For Tomorrow - Reprinting the Superman: For Tomorrow arc from Superman #204-215 by Brian Azzarello and Jim Lee. Released on May 5, 2009. Features original 2-page origin story (later published online). ISBN 978-1-4012-2198-0.
- Absolute All-Star Superman - Reprinting the All-Star Superman series by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely. Released on October 26, 2010. ISBN 978-1-4012-2917-7.
- Absolute Superman/Batman Volume 1 - Collects Superman/Batman #1-13. Release date: September 3, 2013. ISBN 978-1401240967.
- Absolute Superman/Batman Volume 2 - Collects Superman/Batman #14-26. Extras include pencilled pages and character sketches. Release date: May 20, 2014. ISBN 978-1401248178.
- Absolute Swamp Thing by Alan Moore Vol. 1. Collects Saga of the Swamp Thing #20-34 and Swamp Thing Annual #2. Release date: CANCELLED. ISBN 978-1401284930.
- Absolute Transmetropolitan Volume 1 - Collects Transmetropolitan #1-18, Transmetropolitan: I Hate it Here and Vertigo Winter's Edge #2. Released on June 16, 2015. ISBN 978-1401254308.
- Absolute Transmetropolitan Volume 2 - Collects Transmetropolitan #19-39 and Filth of the City. Released on May 24, 2016. ISBN 978-1401261153
- Absolute Transmetropolitan Volume 3 - Collects Transmetropolitan #40-60, a new introduction by series author Warren Ellis and “a host of redacted extras from recently decrypted files.” Release date: November 13, 2018. ISBN 978-1401285456.
V For Vendetta
The supplemental material for this volume is reprinted from the limited edition Watchmen hardcover published by Graphitti Designs in 1987. It includes background on characters, the original creation process as well as brief essays by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. Originally released October 5, 2005 (ISBN 1-401-20713-8) it–along with other editions and material–was re-released on November 12, 2008 about six months ahead of the film adaptation.
Absolute WildC.A.T.s by Jim Lee collects WildC.A.T.s #1-13, 31, 50; Cyberforce #1-3; WildC.A.T.s/X-MEN: The Silver Age #1; WildC.A.T.s Adventures #1 and WILDCATS #1. Includes sketches, concept designs and variant covers. Release date: March 13, 2018. ISBN 978-1401274955.
- Absolute Wonder Woman by Azzarello & Chiang Vol. 1 - Collects issues #0-18 of Wonder Woman Vol 2 (2011, The New 52). Released on February 1, 2017. ISBN 978-1-4012-6848-0
- Absolute Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello & Cliff Chiang Vol. 2. Collects Wonder Woman #19-35, Azzarello’s and Chiang’s story from Secret Origins #6 and more. Release date: February 13, 2018. ISBN 978-1401277499.
Y: The Last Man
- Absolute Y: The Last Man Volume 1 - Collects issues #1-20. Released on July 7, 2015. ISBN 978-1-4012-5429-2
- Absolute Y: The Last Man Volume 2 - Collects issues #21-40.Released on September 20, 2016. ISBN 978-1-4012-6113-9
- Absolute Y: The Last Man Volume 3 - Collects issues #41-60. Released on July 4, 2017. ISBN 978-1401271008
The following titles are not officially part of the Absolute series, but are similar to actual labeled Absolute editions in terms of their contents and size.
The Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection
Released in December 2000. Collects the 1970s run by Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams of Green Lantern (vol. 2) #76-87, #89 and Flash (vol. 2) #217-219, where Green Lantern and Green Arrow travel the United States. Like earlier reprints before and after this hardcover it did not include Flash #226. The book is the first release of what would become the Absolute format, with oversized hardcover comic collections in slipcases. This book, however, is not as oversized as the Absolute books. ISBN 1-5638-9639-7
The Deadman Collection
Released in December 2001. The second in the line of slipcased hardcovers collects: Strange Adventures (1950-1973 1st Series) #205-216, Brave and the Bold (1955-1983 1st Series) #79, 86 and 104, and material from Aquaman (1962-1978 1st Series) #50-52, and Challengers of the Unknown (1958-1978 DC 1st Series) #74. ISBN 1-5638-9849-7.
- Blog@Newsarama: Geoff Johns Announces Absolute Green Lantern: Rebirth Archived 2009-07-27 at the Wayback Machine
- Warren Ellis & Bryan Hitch's Complete 'The Authority' Among DC Comics Collected Editions For March 2013 [Advance Solicits] - ComicsAlliance | Comic book culture, news, hum... Archived 2012-12-09 at the Wayback Machine
- DC Comics: Absolute Identity Crisis. Archived 2011-09-27 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved on 29 July 2011.
- Quick Useful Sandman Slipcase post, By Neil Gaiman
- "DC Vertigo Catalogue". DC Comics. Retrieved May 8, 2011.
- "THE ABSOLUTE SANDMAN: OVERTURE". DC Comics. Retrieved 2018-08-29.