|Subsidiary of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Affiliate of Square Enix
|Industry||Computer and video games|
|Founded||December 13, 2004|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Sefton Hill, Jamie Walker|
|Products||Batman: Arkham series
Urban Chaos: Riot Response
|Owners||Time Warner 74.9%
Square Enix 25.1%
Number of employees
|134 (October 2016) |
Rocksteady was founded on December 13, 2004 by Sefton Hill and Jamie Walker. The team hired many employees from the now defunct Argonaut Games. The studio released Urban Chaos in 2006 then thanks to the huge success of Arkham Asylum in 2009, the studio was acquired by Time Warner in February 2010, although Square Enix Europe formerly Eidos Interactive still holds stock at (25.1%).
Rocksteady Studios has since became renowned for its critically acclaimed Batman games Batman: Arkham Asylum, Batman: Arkham City, and Batman: Arkham Knight. Although a prequel Arkham game was developed (Batman: Arkham Origins), Rocksteady did not act as developer for the game; instead, development was handled by WB Games Montréal.
|Title||Engine||Release date||Platform(s)||Average Metacritic[Note 1]|
|Batman: Arkham VR||Unreal Engine 4||October 2016||PlayStation VR||TBA|
|Batman: Arkham Knight||Unreal Engine 3||23 June 2015||PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC*||87%|
|Batman: Arkham City||Unreal Engine 3||18 October 2011||PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC*, Macintosh*, WiiU*||96%|
|Batman: Arkham Asylum||Unreal Engine 3||25 August 2009||PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC*, Macintosh*||91%|
|Urban Chaos: Riot Response||Havok||13 June 2006||PlayStation 2, Xbox||73%|
- *Scores are the average of the Metacritic score for SKUs developed by Rocksteady Studios.
* SKU not developed by Rocksteady
- http://www.rocksteadyltd.com | Rocksteady Website
- Prell, Sam (November 22, 2014). "Three years later, Calendar Man reveals Arkham City easter egg". GamesRadar. Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- Fahey, Rob (2005-01-17). "SCi funds new development studio". GamesIndustry.biz. Retrieved 2008-07-22.
- Plunkett, Luke (2010-02-23). "Warner Buys Batman: Arkham Asylum Devs". Kotaku. Retrieved 2012-09-04.