Deadbeat (TV series)
Title screen from seasons 2 and 3
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||36 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||22–23 minutes|
|Original release||April 9, 2014– April 20, 2016|
Deadbeat is an American supernatural comedy series created by Cody Heller and Brett Konner about medium Kevin Pacalioglu, played by Tyler Labine, and was first released on Hulu on April 9, 2014. Three seasons were broadcast before Hulu canceled the series on June 5, 2016.
Kevin "Pac" Pacalioglu (Tyler Labine) is a lazy slacker, and a medium for hire, who attempts to solve various ghosts' unresolved issues, so that they can move on to a final resting place. During Season 1 and 2, with the help of his best friend and drug dealer, Roofie (Brandon T. Jackson), Kevin was interfering with Camomile White (Cat Deeley) to stop her from causing harm to people as a false medium. During his issues with Camomile he tries to date her quiet and reluctant personal assistant, Sue Tabernacle (Lucy DeVito), who dies in an accident and ends up as a ghost who can't move on living in Kevin's apartment. In Season 1, Pac competes against Camomile for work, whereas in Season 2, Camomile becomes a TV Host while blackmailing Kevin into being her "bodyguard" and takes advantage of his talents for her gain. After the events in Season 2, Kevin moves into an apartment with Clyde (Kal Penn) and works with a medium known as "Danny Poker" (Kurt Braunohler) who uses his talent to win at Poker competitions.
Cast and characters
- Tyler Labine as Kevin "Pac" Pacalioglu: a stoner and medium who uses his ability to communicate with ghosts as a means to make a living.
- Brandon T. Jackson as Rufus "Roofie" Jones (seasons 1-2): Kevin's only friend and drug dealer.
- Lucy DeVito as Sue Tabernacle (seasons 1-2): Camomile's timid assistant.
- Cat Deeley as Camomile White (seasons 1-2): a famous medium, and occasional rival of Kevin, who lacks the actual ability to communicate with ghosts.
- Kal Penn as Clyde (season 3): Kevin's roommate.
- Kurt Braunohler as Danny Poker (season 3): another medium who uses his skills for profit.
- Alex Karpovsky as Jerryd the Liar
- Ross Marquand as Hugh Janus
- Efren Ramirez as Manny
- Lynn Cohen as Edith Jane
- Joe Pantoliano as Famous Actor
- Todd Barry as Daniel L. Turner
- Jason Biggs as Reed Kelly
- Peter Grosz as Jeremy Goldberg
- Darrell Hammond as Don Soderbergh
- Iliza Shlesinger as Shelly
- Ray Wise as Mayor Meyer
- Fred Armisen as Dead Janitor
- Michael Ian Black as TJ
- Danny DeVito as Giuseppe Monamocce
- James Franco as Johnny Penis
- Gilbert Gottfried as Suicidal Man
- Zachary Levi as Abraham Lincoln
- Jim Norton as Carl
|1||10||April 9, 2014|
|2||13||April 20, 2015|
|3||13||April 20, 2016|
In Australia, the series premiered on April 15, 2015 on The Comedy Channel. In India the show premiered on July 8, 2015 on Comedy Central India. In Spain the show was broadcast by Comedy Central Spain. In Canada the show is on the streaming service Crave TV
|Season||Region 1||Region 2||Region 4||Discs||Extras|
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 5, 2016). "'Deadbeat' Canceled By Hulu After 3 Seasons". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 5, 2016.
- Wagmeister, Elizabeth (June 5, 2016). "'Deadbeat' Cancelled at Hulu After Three Seasons". Variety. Retrieved June 7, 2016.
- O'Malley, Gavin (August 27, 2013). "Hulu Teams With Lionsgate Television For 'Deadbeat'". MediaPost. Retrieved February 6, 2018.
- Spangler, Todd (October 13, 2015). "Kal Penn Joins Hulu's 'Deadbeat' Supernatural Comedy for Season 3". Variety. Retrieved June 20, 2016.
- McCabe, Bret. "For these Johns Hopkins alumni, comedy pays the bills". Johns Hopkins Magazine. Johns Hopkins University. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Deadbeat". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved June 7, 2015.
- "APRIL on FOXTEL: Game Of Thrones, Mad Men, Wentworth, Deadline Gallipoli and 200+ other new shows". The Green Room. Foxtel. March 30, 2015. Retrieved March 31, 2015.
- Anderson, Derek. "Season One of Deadbeat Coming to DVD". DailyDead.com. Retrieved 26 April 2015.